post college training - Why do you still not have a job?

Do people consider post college training?

We found ID’ers and ME’s looking to work at major ID firms are not equipped. Your standard graduate paid quite a bit for school and should not need more training. However….

I don’t want to sound like an advert but the topic drives me mad. Colleges just don’t fully prepare students. Internships come close but interns we hire should teach us stuff and that is hard to find…

which is why we offer after college training to ID’ers and ME’ers alike. We found that ID students learn more in their job than in college training. We also understand that Mechanical Engineers needed to gain more sensitivity to ID if they want to work someplace like Lunar or BMW Group DesignworksUSA. Internships do cut it however one should be more strategic!

Our three week product design workshop is different for each who participates. The workshop is geared at what managers hiring our students want to see. Real world projects which enable participants to get a specific job. No manager will hire a designer or engineer unless they can show they have used the software to developed projects. We simply streamline that learning process for the above average intelligent individuals in our workshops. We gear the workshop to those who would not normally take a software workshop because they learn on their own quite fast. With that assumption lets move forward in a workshop that is proven to develop ID’ers skills for proving form using a constraint based modeler like Solidworks or Pro/ENGINEER. Our workshops focus on Furniture or small hand held products to what ever job is in ones sights.

http://www.proetools.com/courses/pro_engineer/level1-ID.htm < 7 day workshop specific to ID’ers who already know Rhino or Alias (opens many doors!

We have offices in London and Chicago and elsewhere. We have a huge resource for HR folks and truly empower Design Engine Education participants to get employed. We work with contract agencies too. One of our most recent ID’ers from Purdue got hired at ION Design this week. They were impressed with his ability to prove form with Pro/SURFACE and ISDX in Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire. Alex is a strong designer too but that Pro/E Wildfire software got him the job over the others.

We conduct quite a bit of corporate training as well. Motorola and SRAM to name a few. We have trained the top Surface modelers at Harley Davidson. Our London Office just completed a one week surfacing workshop with a major manufacture. Often times our three week students run circles around the corporate clients that claim 4500 or more hours using their perspective software.

We teach Photoshop - Alias Studio - Rhino - Pro/E - Solidworks and Maya We have a three week workshop that is free if you qualify for the federal grant and it isn’t to hard to qualify especially if you don’t have a job already. We maintain our own training materials in HTML that is accessible online. We don’t use training materials in the class, those materials are only for after the training home or work use. Participants come out of our school as if it were an internship with loads of stuff in a portfolio.

Everyone who goes thru our workshops gets a job they would not have been qualified for unless they underwent our comprehensive workshops.

Someone tell me I am wrong!

How many ID’ers are unemployed for one or two years after college?

On average how many internships do ID students obtain while in School?

Everybody i went to school with who had Pro-E experience landed a job right off the mark. I however ended up searching and struggling for a couple years before finally getting a chance to learn Pro-E and managed a job a couple months afterwards. Pro is becoming that buzz word of cad that Alias used to be. For companies who want designers who can communicate to engineers a designer who can use Pro is already speaking they’re language. It reduces the rebuild time for engineers and generally makes the designers more concious about whats possible to build.

I’m an IDer and I’m currently learning Pro/E and it’s been an awesome learning experience so far. It’s just another tool I’m adding to my wide array of design weapons that I can use to communicate my ideas. So if I were you out there tryng to get an edge in this industry Pro/E is something that will give you an edge. It’s just like right the way you’re driving a vehicle and you’re driving automatic transmission well with PRO/E you’re like driving with a stick shift or manual trans. Definiitely gives you more power and control of the engine.

above “jax3r3d” poster has the same IP address as “design engine” could be the same person agreeing with himself.

That’s because I am taking Pro/E class right now over here. And to tell you the truth I’m getting back into design after a long sabbatical (5 yrs actually) and I’m just excited about what I’ve seen so far and done. Not to sound bias but I like what I’m doing right now.

I know someone that went through the Pro E class at Design-engine and is making lots more then at CBI (Chicago Bridge and Iron.) Im considering taking the class myself.

Are you taking about a trade school or a university/college?

Trade schools train you for a trade… skills for the job.

University/College educate you.

How pathetic … instead of the draftsman of yesteryear, “designers” now absolutely need ProE skills to get jobs. Instead of training their critical thinking and solving problems … dime-a-dozen CAD monkeys good for a few years until they can be replaced with a fresh new crop of suckers.

this entire post has advertisement written all over it. same poster, different usernames.

I think it sounds very useful especially for older pros that haven’t gotten a chance to learn the newer programs since they weren’t out or readily available back when we were in school.

There’s nothing wrong with adding another tool in the belt especially since being proficient in 3-d programs seems like a min skill requirement in lots of places. I’d hate to be a 15 yr pro who’s portfolio gets overlooked in a stack because all of the recent grads excel at 3-d.

Also I think it helps if you’re comfortable with the programs because it’ll help you solve problems in the design process since nowadays having toolable 3-d data is so prevailant. Even if you’re not the one cad-monkeying, if an issue comes up you should be able to help solve the problem and be able to communicate effectively/constructively to the one who is doing the cad if you want to help preserve your design intent and not rely solely on someone elses ability to interpret your design.

In todays design process, not knowing what 2 rail sweeps or g2 continuities are is like not knowing what slides or ejector pins are. You may not have to be a pro at it, but you should be comfortable enough with the process to be able to communicate with the people who do specialize in it. The more thorough a designers knowledge is of all the steps in the process, the more able they’ll be to insure their design intent is kept. And nobody should think less of the people that specialize in different things along the path, it’s all essential.

And no I don’t work for Design-Engine, lol!!! But I’ll probably be looking into some classes, no other way to learn the programs since buying seats of different progs just to see if it fits you is a huge risk.

That third paragraph was a bit sappy… in hind site. and not to sound advert esk but we are the only post training / trade school in the country that specializes in ID’er training. … I am so excited about ID communications that I can’t help trying to tell everyone our mission. I try to exude my enthusiasm in the training and I guess I get overzealous. The professional way to leverage our mission is to educate the educators. I am on the board with other professionals for one new ID school and they don’t teach tools like most schools. If you are going to be a designer you have to be strong in all five points to this star:

Creative Response (resources proving form)
A designer has to be able to pull multiple concepts out of thin air.
Verbal Communication (articulate in words)
A Hispanic for example working in the States must be able to choose the right English to sell their ideas. Even those with English as a first language must choose the correct key words for guiding thru a selection process.
Conceptual communication (sketching skills)
Computer CIAD skills (I hate calling it CIAD)
This is the most important communication skill because who ever touches the model last wins.
and
Speed to iterate form
All managers want it fast. Try selling your self as fast on your next interview.

It is hard for most colleges to cultivate students in all areas. To be a rock star you have to be able to communicate and do it fast.

here’s a few other ID/animation 3d tech programs

http://www.gnomon3d.com/title.html

I know you are excited, but it does come off a bit infomercial. You are selling a service, of course you recomend it. A lot of students get this training in school, and a lot of corporations have pro jockeys to make everything tool ready and would rather have their designers do quick 3d “design intent” models in rhino, alias, or something a lttle less constraining than pure proE.

Thank you for posting it and making people aware, I would recomend taking out some add space with core77.

I am also really glad to see that you pointed out in another topic that 3d work is just ONE element of a design education. Being able to pump CAD does not a designer make, just like downloading Illustrator from limewire doesn’t make someone a graphic designer.

It’s a total package kind of proffession… Except when spelling is concerned.

I think it boils down to the fact that 3D is now essiential to being able to output in designs in the 3D world effiently. Do you think that the lead designers at Ford, BMW, Audi just do sketches, I think not. 3D allows designers to do much more than possible than with just a pencil sketch.

It is a tool, and is what is required today, if you can use it proficently, you see past the tool and can design freely. Designs have to be ouptputted somehow.

Anyway, I have been considering this class, and have heard good things about it, and no I am not a Design_Engine insider.

Gnomon and Oregon does not employ even one industrial designer. Not one.

I like to think everyone of our past students becomes an advocate or ‘insider’

It’s not so much that if you’re knowledgeable with a number of different CAD programs and you get hired you’ll become the designated CAID or CAD jockeys because that’s purely your choice. I think people missed the point partially if not fully. Personally, I’m learning it because I chose to learn it and be able to simply have the know-how and understanding of it. Am I going to be a CAID jockey? Do I want to be one? Of course not!!! But it sure improves my chances of getting hired if and when I choose to market my new skills. In this day and age of computers, I see myself as a “hybrid” IDer. I can easily communicate with a fellow IDer and I can also communicate and at the same time be understood by …let’s say an Mech. Engineer or a tool maker, etc. It’s all about perception. Sure most of us can quickly and “cheaply” sketch an idea on a napkin to get our intention of ideas across but we’re not ideating a h2o pitcher or a toy 100% of the time. it’s all about communication in many different ways. AND …this is a bonus …not to mention I consider myself a good speller. Can you guys spell ONOMATOPOEIA…well I just did! Now I’m not saying join a spelling bee contest out there or instead of a grabbing a MAXIM magazine or a Wall Street Journal instead grab a Webster’s dictionary so you can improve your spelling because you sure can’t have a spell check software on your cell phone with you 24/7 unless your a total geek. My whole point is to be versatile. This should be the Year of Versatility for people that limit themselves. Oh and by the way, I apologized if I mispelled any words because I’m not perfect. Last but not least, I posted this at my work because I don’t have a class today at Design-Engine.