Portfolio Advice...

I’m sure you have all heard it before, but I am a senior in High School, with 3 fine arts courses and a theatrical design course…
I’m trying to pull together an ID portfolio to submit to both Emily Carr Uni. in Vancouver and to Western Washington in Bellingham and I don’t really know what I need to be including.(I am applying to ECU mainly because they have a phenomenal exchange program with Eindhoven, which is my dream school but not rational for my present situation…)

I recognize all the guidelines posted on the websites and have even talked to people in the departments of the schools themselves, but I want to get an idea of what kind of things are attractive traits in a prospective Industrial Designer…

is my 3D work more important than my graphic design? Is my (rather extensive) work in the fashion industry and in photography completely irrelevant? Should I bother investing in a DSLR before I head off to school? I am good at life-drawing, but my concept sketching need a lot of polishing…will this be the end of me in Design school? will my awards as a theatre design student be helpful? will my work in THAT field be of any importance? should I include scale models of my set designs?

tons and tons of questions!!!

Keep in mind I have until January to pull together the portfolios and already have a smattering of pieces…

any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

-Pontouf

I didn’t have any Industrial Design or 3D work in my art-school application. I did have art and graphic design.

I met with Admissions and they told me to spend the summer sketching 50 self portraits using different mediums. I returned a few months later and got a scholarship.

Definitely include your set design models, graphic design, fashion and photography. You should do fine with just those.

thanks so much :slight_smile: i’ll keep that in mind…