Portfoli oh!

I’m going into my junior year, and I would like to hear any feedback that you may have about my work and website.

Give it to me straight so I know how I need to improve.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone?
Come on, lazy Sunday. :smiley:

I’m also entering my third year in ID, hopefully my thoughts can help you out even though I’m more of your peer than an industry expert.

I think your portfolio does a pretty good job of showing your process for the most part. It’s up to you as to the order in which you display projects, but to me it seemed like things jumped around chronologically and made it somewhat hard to follow (I personally prefer a chronological story, but it’s up to you). I could still understand everything for the most part-it was just not as clear as it could have been. Then again, maybe it’s because I horizontally instead of vertically. I do like how you stated the design brief in a few of your projects - this gives interviewers context by which to judge the appropriateness of your solutions. I also think you did a good job of using just the right amount of text with visuals, a skill which I’m still mastering.

Some of the concepts seemed kind of underdeveloped, like the dirty bomb suit, the coffee table, the phone, and the watch - you may want to either develop them further or omit them from your portfolio as you do more compelling projects in the next two years. It seemed to me that you intended the coffee table to be a display of your virtual modeling skills? Maybe you could expand that assignment and flesh it out so it’s a more compelling story. You want each project in your portfolio to be a compelling story in addition to displaying the depth and breadth of your specific skills.

Your sketches were pretty good, but I don’t think they were presented as effectively as they could have been. They were too small to easily read and attract attention. Were these larger sketches that you shrunk, or thumbnail doodles? You want to make them larger and also have some varying size and viewpoints to make them dynamic and interesting.

I liked your Sleep Cycle and Steel - these are good because they are new ideas and are beyond the current status quo in their markets - you always want to push the envelope and explore new things, especially as a student.

To me at least, the rest of the projects seemed too similar to existing products. The color device is cool, but have you heard of the ColorMunki? Go to colormunki.com it’s really sweet and I’d buy one if I wasn’t broke (isn’t it annoying to have a good idea only to realize it already exists?!?) The cell phone device doesn’t really go beyond current tech. You want to stay up to date on developing technologies (even if not yet market ready) and explore how we can utilize those in human terms-that’s what design is all about.

One last thing - always remember composition and the foundational design principles when exploring form - you want to translate those same principles into your real product designs. Your Sleep Cycle and Steel I think are good form executions, but some like the cell phone seemed normal and the same. It took me a while to remember that as I transitioned from pure composition assignments to real product design. Maybe you made a sweet 2D pattern in your composition class…could that pattern be an awesome cell phone keypad?

Good job and keep working hard. We both need to keep developing our skills to get some momentum for landing that 1st design job. Feel free to critique my portfolio, my thread is right below yours at the moment!

Good luck!

Dude, I love that you show product life-cycle diagrams for that razor. But, I don’t think you treat the before and after equaly, so it’s difficult to understand what’s changing. Steel and Aluminum production become steel recycling, and plastics are removed completely. I think you need to be more clear about it. You turned handle, head, and blade into “product” I think you should stick with Handle and blade to acknowlege what you removed. I just think you’re to vague in the afters.

The design needs work. I would redesign it before you graduate with your increased skills because the thought process and diagrams are sweet.

rock out

Thanks for the response.

Camzaman,
I agree that my process (especially on the lamp project) doesn’t appear to develop chronologically and I need to work on it. It’s hard because my process for that project wasn’t sketch-model-final. It was Sketch-model-sketch-model-sketch-model-final.
For that particular project I felt it was really important to create models often and then build up from there as I gained a great deal of experience as to how light is effected by different materials, forms, and interactions.

Also, I agree that my sketches are a little small, and that I should resize and reorganize them in order to more clearly show my concept.

I’ll take a look at your site tomorrow and give you some feedback on your post.

robertcj,
Thanks for the life-cycle props.
I should definitely make the distinction between old and new, and how the production, materials and use have changed.

Thanks again for the responses guys.

yeah, sorry for the wall of text. Since I had free time I decided to comment on all of my thoughts instead of just the main one like most posters do… it’s good stuff though, keep up the good work!

I’ll throw in my 2 cents. I like the layout of your site, nice clean, easy to navigate. As far as your projects go, I would say that generally my critique would be dive deeper into every project and really show off your thinking ability. At the moment, too many of your projects look like exposes of your technical skills, which are good, but what really gets people interested is your thinking process.

The power strip project for instance has a couple of interesting sketches dealing with the problems associated with power strips, you have collapsible, hide away units, units with movable heads, etc., but the final concept is essentially a huge power strip… a little anti climactic to me.

My suggestion is to go back, rework some of the ideas, flesh them out some more and see where that takes you.