Plastic - Wood handle on Trek Pole...

Does anyone know anything about the handle material they are using for this trek pole?

It looks like cork or wood material pressed with some kind of clear plastic binder…

I’d like to learn more about the manufactuing methods for a project Im working on so I know what I can make with it…

anybody seen this? It was really nice in person…

I haven’t seen the product in person so this is a guess but it might be made of WPC (wood plastic composites). WPC’s are used for those new decks. Basically WPC’s are saw dust and polymers, similair to MDF but different :wink:. From what I understand they are used mostly in extrusions but I have read that they are also being injection molded.

Maybe I’ll try to call one of the manufactured wood deck pieces or REI where this was made to find out more…

Do you remember where you read about it being injection moldeable?

Here’s one: http://quickstart.clari.net/qs_se/webnews/wed/az/Bpa-principia-partners.RN6V_DS9.html
The above article is actualy a couple years old so WPC’s are probably in much higher use than stated in the article. I haven’t done a lot of reseach on this just touched on it real briefly on my last project. If you find some good info please post it on this forum so we can all take a look at it.

Do a google search on “injection molded WPC”.