Picking up chicks in hybrids

Not interested in bitching too much about it, but yo made a great observation a few threads down that I don’t think has QUITE been discussed to death yet…

So why can’t hybrid specific car that is mass produced just look cool? or Lux? Why do they feel the need to be nerd mobiles? Maybe it is the target audience, judging by the folks I see rolling on 13’s in their Priusi

It’s true…most mass-produced hybrids are really blah. Even the more experimental non-mass-produced hybrids look like bulbous tools from the future – which is a look, I guess, but it’s not the kind of thing I’d wanna drive around picking up chicks in (which is my primary criteria for purchasing a car).

I know next to nothing about car design, so maybe I should just hold my tongue – I’ve heard inklings that some design decisions are to increase aerodynamics, or somethin’, but still…

That all depends on the type of “chicks” you intend to “pick up”

Do you intend to stand next to your prius in the parking lot of a bowling alley, talking about how you keep getting older and high school girls stay the same age, ala dazed and confused?

lol…well, I thought that part of the post was tongue in cheek enough… :unamused:

That’s a whole new market for the Prius…statutory rapists!

the man or the woman makes the car.

there is no car.

who cares.

if a chick cares about your car and the status of it, she’s going to care about her diamonds, her house, blah blah. not interested, hunny.

I personally know cats driving around in some seriously nicely designed and highly engineered vehicles and have been sans a lady for some time. other friends drive 82 toyotas with a leaking gas tank or chinese scooters and bring home/date some very class women.

Well, of course. That was never the point I was trying to make…I was more making a point about the general design deficiencies (as I see them) of hybrid cars. Actually there are plenty of women I know who would rather date a guy with a Prius than a cool looking gas guzzler. Although I doubt it would be a dealbreaker for any of them.

However, I do think that the kind of car you drive says something about you – in the same way that anything you buy or wear or use says something about you. I personally am not crazy about the Prius, and would rather drive a car like a Mini for its handling and superior aesthetic. But then, I am probably the target market for Minis and not necessarily for the Prius. And again, re-appropriating the quote from yo, why can’t someone just make a hybrid that looks like a Mini?

Oh, and I totally rock a chinese scooter…

I wonder why they never made a Hybrid Mini Cooper at least?

I want to know why there is no all wheel drive mini, that I would buy

The Mini is already overweight, that’s why there is no AWD model.

yeah, but this is america, we’re all overweight right?

Supposedly they are, but, you know, I’ve heard rumors of just about EVERYone making a hybrid (Hummer, even!). Anyone, the point being that Mini is an example of a car that is both sporty and fuel efficient, so it’ll probably only be a matter of time.

The electric teslas actually look nice, but who can afford them?

R

[quote="lonestarjack5
Supposedly they are, but, you know, I’ve heard rumors of just about EVERYone making a hybrid (Hummer, even!). Anyone, the point being that Mini is an example of a car that is both sporty and fuel efficient, so it’ll probably only be a matter of time.
[/quote]

Trends…oh well. I worked with a guy who’s hobby was modifying a Honda civic. Now I don’t mean a big exhaust and tacky crap allover it. He was a machinist and supposedly went to school for mech eng. He modded the civic for fuel economy. He ran super narrow tires, worked out and produced a custom gear ratio tranny (torque in one and two, three - five super tall). He would go do wool tuft tests and work on aerodynamics. When we stopped working together he wanted to do something were he could take the load of the alternator off the belt. He was sort of an odd guy.

done:

I have to say, the Volt looks like crap now that the Mini is coming out.

Its only 500 cars, but a sign of who is coming into the marketplace…

yep, saw the news this morning and I agree with the crap comment

But, realistically, it will be a while before these things are actually ready to sell. Let’s hope one of those 500 folks who can afford to rent this thing is a blogger, though…