Physical buttons outperform touchscreens in new cars, test finds

The i3 interior was way ahead of its time. It still looks fresh!

Totally, the i3 has it “dialed” on the interior and on controls. I especially agree that the center console dial + elevated screen location enables eyes-on-the-road interaction.

In general I miss the haptics and control of a stick shift and the console dial fills that void a bit, as you drop your hand to it similarly without a glance.

Have you ever bothered to train on the scribble pad of the jog wheel?
I was stunned to see it exist as feature but have never bother to become proficient…
I’m. hyper-miler so the Miler/KW is what I watch. I don’t mind the switching gears I’m constantly trying to get the recharge. I think the faster one is traveling the higher the recharge.

I replaced a 6 speed Volvo C30 that I use to think was great:)

I didn’t even know you could do that! I just looked it up and will have to give it a try.

Any other brand doing this with their glove box access? Improved HF reach for the driver granted, but the UX breaks all of the sensible and traditional rules in favor of screen based interaction and agency.

Wait for it…

Seems like overkill. I never had an issue with a manual glove box latch.

I have a friend in transportation design. He had lunch with some engineers and marketing people where he asked, “what do you think will replace these touchscreens”. Everyone looked at him strange and said, “what do you mean replace?!?! The touchscreen is the pinnacle!”.

Hmmmm.

I really like the TT solution. I think Bugatti does something similar with a screen that folds into the dash. I wish we saw more “pop-up” screens than full dash screens.

I truly believe that that the human interaction aspects of product will morph into more of last mile, weak binding, late compilation,… (choose your analogy) problem.

Meaning every product will be so bland from the factor. That local integrators will tailor them to meet our desires. A small dense rectangle with a screen will contain personal choices of our preferred modes of interaction. The devices we encounter will be a busy box of controls that will assume preferred configuration.

That is the world I’m trying to design for.

Apoliges for nothing exclusive to cars.