Photoshop to Illustrator

How can I get an image from a photoshop file into an illustrator file without having a white box around it? I’m sure there is an easy solution to this but for some reason I can’t figure it out. Thanks!

Sounds like you have a white background in Photoshop instead of a transparent background.

If your image is all on one layer -double click it in the layers palette and rename it so that it is no longer called “background”

Then use the magic wand or colour selection tool to select the white colour and delete it. Save as a Photoshop file and then re-import into Illustrator.

Or…
Use your current file in illustrator and using the pen tool draw a path outlining the area of the photo you want to keep. Then select the path and the image and make a clipping mask.

NO no no… :smiley:

be sure that the image is separated properly in PS (no background), in fact, separate a bunch of images you need and have them all piled on top of eachother in a PS file (a separate layer for each image). This file is gonna be your transport file

Then, open that PS file in Illustrator (the actual PS file) Illustrator should ask you if you want to flatten the images or convert the layers, you want to convert the layers. It will most likely take the file a long time to open depending on file sizes, but once it does, you have all those images with no poopy white box. Each PS layer will be read as an Illustrator object

then just copy the images (or objects now) you want in that illustrator file and paste them in your other illustrator file…and hhwwwaaalla!! you have your images.

GET IT? :smiley:

first you need to inform us on what versions of photoshop and illustrator you have, because some methods only work in recent versions.

first you need to inform us on what versions of photoshop and illustrator you have, because some methods only work in recent versions.

ahh yes…if you’re using ill 9 or ealrier, you’ll have to do it one image at a time, for some reason it doesn’t convert the layers. but ill 10 and cs work great

you can also use the links feature in illustrator to pull PS images as layers, but I donno much about that, maybe somone else can explain it to us :smiley:

If you put the ps images into illus as links, they stay linked to the original file. If you change the old ps file, the image will update itself in illustrator while keeping the same size/crop, etc. It also keeps the illustrator file size down since it isn’t saving the actual placed file, just its place reference and the info to where the original file is.

Thanks SO much for all the great advise! I’ve got it figured out now…and no longer have the urge to throw my computer across the room.