Photo Realistic Renderings

Hi have a question, the company i work for would like to produce photo realistic drawings of bottles, the bottle will needo be modelled up to ensure it is the right volume, add labels (including neck labels that are on tapered necks) and probably caps. What would be the best sofware for achieving this? We do use solidworks but these drawings will probably be produced by a new person so we will have to buy a new seat of software anyway. Just would like to get peoples feedback. :slight_smile:

Hypershot will give you best bang for your buck. Plus it is insane easy to learn.

Maxwell Render and 3dstudio Max will be your next best renderers for photo realism.

Hypershot is not around anymore. It split up into two separate rendering engines, Shot and Keyshot.
Personally I use Keyshot out of the simple reason that Shot killed my Bootcamp.
I found that actually the renderings of glass were quite successful while for example fabrics are a lot harder to get realistic. As you are rendering glass, I would give Keyshot a try. It is also pretty fast.

I agree with bepster, Keyshot will give you the photorealistic renderings an it works like a breeze. You can try downloading the free trial version.

Keyshot will get you some pretty good results. Depending on your definition of “Photo real” It may not give you all the control you need. However the learning curve is small and it will give you good results at a bargain price. Also Adding labels works pretty well in Keyshot, but you might have to wrestle with it to make it do exactly what you want.

Maxwell and VRay (3ds Max) will give you great control and allow you get closer to photo real. However the learning curve is much steeper. It all depends on how realistic you need these renderings to be.

Totally depends on your definition of photoreal.

Using a solidworks model is going to get you a photoreal bottle of a CAD tool shape. What that bottle looks like in real life after it’s be manufactured is going to be totally different.

I would completely remodel in a polygon app and use something better than Key shot etc. to get something even remotely close to Photoreal.

Who is the audience, whats the purpose of the renders and what is your definition of photorealistic? If your showing a client your designs then solidwork’s is 100% fine. Going into really anal details on areas such as the lid (where in real life you would seen no uniform treatement of the surfaces around the cap and neck) is jusst pointless, unless your trying to show and sell your prowess in photorealistc rendering.

I would actually not suggest Keyshot. Keyshot imho sucks for anything that is not glossy plastic. It has only recently seen an improvement on it’s material transparency of which a 2.2 gamma seem’s to have sorted it out. For me there just isn’t enough control over the materials to make a decent photorealistic rendering. There decal setup is also painful to use at times in not allowing UV mapping. Keyshot It’s great for knocking out a quick render of a plastic product but can’t really touch other rendering packages interms of quality. Their images on their gallery have a lot of photoshop post production on them.

We do packaging at my firm and we use a mix of software for rendering bottle’s, thermoformings etc… Vray and 3DS max are quite often used as well as Maxwell. Personally I recommend Maxwell but only if you have a really powerfull rig to run it on, it’s the slowest rendering program but it’s results can be immense, it is also a bit of a steep learning curve.

This guy uses maxwell: http://www.justingoode.com

if you’re going to hire a new person for this, I’d suggest to leave the decision on which app to purchase open. A 3d-artist will most probably have a fav app he/she is best at using anyway. Most packages have the ability to produce the same output. It’s the 3d-artist who’s got to know how to achieve the desired result.

Of course some orientation on how much a seats for different apps run at could be useful, as different production pipelines might come cheaper/more expensive in the end (think of converter plug ins to get things from pro/e into a 3d-app f.e.).

Echoing others, it all depends on what you want. Rendering is a speed vs realistic exchange. As technology has progressed the gap has been quickly narrowing.

I think Clam has the best advice when you need to consider your final audience. If you plan on using these to truly fool people into thinking they are real, you are going to need one of the more powerful rendering engines (vray/maxwell). These take much more time to render, require more powerful machines a farm is really nice to have with these programs), and have a much steeper learning curve. They are however almost infinitely adjustable, so you can get almost anything out of them (quick dirty renders to highly detailed photoreal). Chaos group has also just bought out asgvis, so the same company supports all the versions for vray (3DS/rhino/sketchup).

Keyshot/Shot are highly praised on these boards due to their simplicity and speed. If the renders are just for internal use or representations of what something could look like just to get an idea, this will be more than enough for you. It excels in plastics, but past that I have noticed some strong pitfalls. These machines also do not require the best and strongest computers to run. These are also not a lot of money for the seat.

If you already have Solidworks then it’s no brainer… Modo.

The whole Hypershot/Keyshot/Shot debacle left a bad taste all around IMO. Not saying that the new programs aren’t good, it just exposed a flaw in how these companies operate and don’t have end users in mind. I say that loosely in that they were not trying to do harm to end users, but for like 6-8 months there was nothing, Hypershot couldn’t be purchased. Granted this is all in the past, but it made us move on.

Modo opens SW files 1:1 with the appearance and materials applied in SW. Check the link below. I’d also say that the Modo out does both KeyShot/Shot because it also offers a modeling/animation side as well. Check link to see as well as what’s shown in the gallery.

www.luxology.com/store/modoforsolidworkskit

Bunkspeed makes an animation/render counter part to Shot, it’s called Move. Also in the last couple versions of SolidWorks there is an included rendering program called Photoview 360. It uses Luxology’s rendering engine (same one found in Modo), so unless you need to animate or poly-model there’s no need for a full version of Modo. Photoview 360 is way better (all things considered) than Photoworks ever was, and if you’ve already got it–is worth a shot. IMO–you get roughly equal results with all the “fast” programs (shot, keyshot, PV360), and you get more realistic but slower results with the more “serious” ones (vray, mentalray, maxwell, etc.).

If Solidworks is the CAD software being use, Modo is probably the best choice for easy conversion.

The reality is you can take data out of any program and render the piss out of it in almost any animation tool (Max, Maya, Softimage, Cinema 4D, Modo, et al). If you are hiring a person specifically to do renderings, then my suggestion would be don’t pick the software for them - look at their portfolio, see what their package of choice is, make sure they are comfortable handling Solidworks Data and have them tell you what to buy.

PhotoView 360 which comes with SW 2010 but is fully integrated with SW 2011 (I believe) is Modo. SolidWorks licensed it- the only drawback is the Modo website has thousands of great materials that only Modo users can access.

I use the 2010 version- it doesn’t have all the setup options of Photoworks, but it is so fast. You can get a photorealistic render (i.e. a glass bottle containing liquid) in 2-3 minutes (on i7 with 8 gb ram) which on my old setup (Centrino with 2 gb ram) would take 24 hours plus. Even the preview images (realtime) are good enough for quick ‘n’ dirty renders.

OK just to get it all out in the open…

The reason why the SW/Modo combo trumps the Keyshot/Shot/Maxwell/Vray/C4D/Maya is that Modo makes the materials found in SW. This at least saves time on material adjusting and applying because they are on the same page 1:1. These other programs are always waiting to catch up “if” they plug in at all.

The ‘rendering program’ war is not in full heat… who comes out on top remains to be seen. As Cyberdemon said right now getting great looking images is no longer a challenge in any of these programs (save for Maxwell, you have to know what you’re doing other wise great results is not happening). It’s being able to get in behind the nitty-gritty and making adjustments and fine tune materials, lighting, UV mapping to your liking…

sanjy009: I think it’ll be just a matter of time before materials found on the Modo website will either be in SW or will be available to download to add in, it just makes sense.