Philips design

Anyone here work there??

whats it like??

Heard it is best in the Eindhoven location from friends who have worked there…

I interviewed at one of their European locations… it seemed that the studios were all cost centers; having some of their work coming from internal groups, then the rest of their revenue they had to go out and find for themselves.

They looked a little stressed to me…

Humm, where should I start on this one?
I know I should not write this post because the design world is very small and I might regret it someday. But I would not have a good conscious if I did not state my opinion. Please take it as that, just one person’s current opinion. Also this is a much better place to warn others of the true scene inside. I am put in a very awkward position when interviewees ask me the same question.

There is both good and bad about every company you will work with even if it is your own company. Philips is the same. There are good and bad points to working there.

The good:
They have an excellent training program. It is available and mandatory that you go to training seminars like “Leadership for designers” or “Negotiation for designers”
They have branches all over the world. And it is possible to transfer to most locations once your contract is up and they need someone in that location.
The level of DESIGN talent is average to high. Everyone pulls their own weight.
The pay can be good if you know how to negotiate.
They will spend money on finishing and research. (but not much else)

The bad:
STAY AWAY IF YOU WANT TO DESIGN THINGS THAT ACTUALLY GET TO MARKET (that are not just a skin job or a rebrand job)
The only real core competency they still have left in the CE area is design. Business cases, engineering and manufacturing rely heavily on outsourcing. (In a bad way – see below) As much as I would like to think that designers are great, we can’t do anything with out the other competencies.
Currently, there is a lot of turn over. There are many reasons, but all in my opinion stem from there being a lot of managers but no leaders. (Short sighted)
The level of business and engineering talent is all over the map. (I know what you’re thinking, designers always think the engineers and business side suck, but I am usually the one defending their side)
Philips is a big company that is walking in lead shoes. Expect to move slowly.
The development cycle is extremely long (12 -22 months for a simple electronic product) and more often than not results in nothing making it to the market. It’s not uncommon for 50 to 90 percent of the projects to be canceled. Some even if everything, including production pieces, packaging and propaganda materials have already been produced. (This does not equal a long time to design.)
Some of the OEM’s that are used, are Philips direct competitors. This leads to Philips products (in my opinion) being sabotaged at best and quickly being copied at worst. Some of the copies get out several months before the Philips product.
(If your competition is producing your product why would they quote you a good BOM cost?)
There is not much if any attention given to being environmentally friendly. (ex. Producing 10 million of a class of products that use AAA batteries and last 8 hours when the competition has a similar products that last for 30-50 hours and is rechargeable for a similar price) “It is not only what you do but also what you get others to do.”

In all, if you are starting out or at the end of your career this may be the place for you.
As I have said, this is a big company and this is just one designers opinion. I am sure if you talked to someone else they would say something different.

The one big take away I have learned from my experience it to interview the company as hard as or harder than they are interviewing you. What they want and their personality may be completely different from what you want.