PepsiCo and Arnell do it agian!!!!!!

Maybe they had my graphic design teacher. He always told us to run vertical type towards up. I unlearned that though.

It looks nice. I love the offset font graphic stuff as opposed to the older version where everything was centered. It’s obvious that the company really wanted to change their image.
Also, I like the way the lip of the glass ends where the cap is at… it’s kind of a visual representation that you are pouring juice without actually using a different type of material (plastic) as some other brands do.
But other than that, I still don’t like the taste of Tropicana juice… I prefer Naked Juice or Simply Orange :stuck_out_tongue:

As a regular customer, I saw this new packaging in a supermarket last week, and I had no feeling about this at all. I just want to get Tropicana ‘Some Pulp’, and that’s it.

I can see some amateur graphic details on the box, but for the big picture, for me it’s fine, it didn’t make anything better or worst at all. I think for the big brand like Tropicana, they are playing a different game with others. They don’t need to yell to the customer face anymore. At least for me and people who I know, we don’t care the orange with straw at all.

Moreover, this is a box, not the juice itself, they can change it back to the orange with straw anytime they want.

I can see some amateur graphic details on the box, but for the big picture, for me it’s fine, it didn’t make anything better or worst at all. I think for the big brand like Tropicana, they are playing a different game with others. They don’t need to yell to the customer face anymore. At least for me and people who I know, we don’t care the orange with straw at all.

I don’t get this. No brand is so powerful that they can just throw all of their image away and not expect to affect the consumer. Trust me I know as I deal with this everyday. To me this would be like Nike deciding to change the swoosh, or McDonalds deciding the golden arches don’t work for them anymore and deciding to get rid of them.

Now I know Tropicana is no were close to being as powerful of a brand as the above, but Pepsi as a whole is. They have really screwed up here and I really do think they will loose sales.

Moreover, this is a box, not the juice itself, they can change it back to the orange with straw anytime they want.

This is a great attitude to have. I hope you never have to work with major branding as when things are changed like this it effects the buyer and it effect brand loyalty. Also you can’t just change these things at the snap of the finger. It takes lots of time and money. Oh and by the way, it is a box, but the box has to be appealing before anyone will buy the product. It is a whole package.

Sorry for the rant it just frustrates me when people say “Its just a box. It doesn’t matter.”

This is precisely why my wife bought it at the grocery store yesterday. We usually just grab the cheap orange juice, and when she brought it home I asked “Grabbed the good stuff, huh?” She was surprised, to say the least. At least I can enjoy quality orange juice this week.

Saw this in the store this morning:

The old version:

Nicely cleaned up, but eye-catching, and still clearly the same product. Tropicana would have been much better taking this approach.

I don’t buy orange juice. But over the weekend my partner was jonesing for some orange juice, ran out to a convenience store and came back w/ Tropicana. I asked him what he thought of the package, thinking about this thread. His response was along the lines of, “Woah, it’s Tropicana, I thought it was 100% Orange …kinda generic. Didn’t they used to have a giant orange with a straw?”

Speaking of “medical” influenced packaging, this is something i spotted the same day:

looks like a box of powder laundry detergent.

i must be out of the loop, bc i LOVE IT.
easier to read
delicious looking for those of us who like san serif fonts and bright colors.
and it caught my attention immediately in the store.
rebranding is always a tough topic, but I’m always down for change :slight_smile:

I totally agree. I saw this at the store other day and thought “ahhhh, now that’s a nice looking package”. It just looks refreshing.

Aesthetics aside, at what point does it stop being “Tropicana?”

That is my point as well. At what point do you loose your brand and when does it impact you consumers

It stops being Tropicana when they stop making good Orange Juice :wink:

Some wank at some point thought it would be a “good idea” to have a straw coming out of an orange. Yes, its cute, so fresh it’s like having a straw stuck in an orange, but lets not confuse a graphical cliche with a brand… and we all know Tropicana isn’t the freshest anyway.

But what do I know, I don’t like pictures of cows on my milk either. I also don’t need a picture of a car on the side of my car, because it kind of is what it is.

Give simple a chance. I’d like to see some 1 color graphics, old school. No cows required:

I noticed this change in the grocery store before i read this post.

my initial response… “where is tropicana”.
it did used to stand out amongst the 12’ section of orange juices, now it is lost, given the first time its because i was looking for the old packaging and it wasnt there"

if i were to be judging this design in a vacuum then i might be able to see some positive points about it. but it does lose the punch of the old design, as well as what has already been pointed out, the ability to easily and quickly differentiate between ‘lots of pulp’ ‘calcium’, etc.

And it is generic… if thats what they wanted… success. but outside of the little leaf in the logo type, i have nothing familiar telling me that this is tropicana orange juice… maybe if they rolled out some commercial or print ads reinforcing this look it might seem more familiar, but right now its some strange juice in the aisle that i dont trust in my refrigerator neighborhood! :smiley:

Yesterday, I took a look at the grocer’s fridge following this thread. I understand what the packaging people are saying now. The only boxes on the shelf that had a glass of OJ on them were generics. The brand names all had fruit on them. Maybe Tropicana wants to seem generic in the face of a recession?

I was thinking that as well. Private lable is doing really well and if that is their stratagy they could be the ones laughing in the long run.

Is that the case in foods/perishable goods? Could be for all i know. But i know that in a few other categories private label product is doing worst of all. But i think if pepsi is in fact trying to design to appear like generic/private label then it is a sign of the apocolypse :astonished: i mean i guess i can see how they could reason that… but wow.

Is that the case in foods/perishable goods? Could be for all i know. But i know that in a few other categories private label product is doing worst of all. But i think if pepsi is in fact trying to design to appear like generic/private label then it is a sign of the apocolypse > :astonished: > i mean i guess i can see how they > could > reason that… but wow.

I just know that this is sometimes the case in seasonal candy. Target does really well with thier private lable when it comes to christmas candy and gifts. Also with this economy, I don’t know for a fact but, I would think that more private lable food brands are up because they are cheaper and still have decent quality.

Maybe Arnell could help these guys:

IP: OMG! That is classic!

seriously? tropicana? come on… bad move.

i think we’re missing the point of branding…

if McDonalds drastically changed their logo, you know, the one on the sign out front of about 1.5 millions restaurants, globally - in the end your inevitably going to lose business… until the consumer re learns the branded logo…

a small change is drastic enough, but a drastic change is destructive…

look at all of loewy’s logos that are still used today, gradual transition - not drastic…

a first grader %^&X…!!%&^#…(*#$&#…

remember the poor dumb fella, he dont know much… dont confuse him…