People, this isn't a text message. RANT #$^%*

I know it has nothing to do with the point you’re trying to make, but that is not the correct origin of the distress code. The sequence was there because it was easy to distinguish over the radio, and S O S was just a way to remember it. The “save our souls/ship” acronym was invented even later.

On topic: Languages - written and spoken - are constantly evolving, and we just have to live with it. The netspeak may not always be appropriate, but try to focus on the content and not the pixels you read, say it out loud if you have to.

Having said that, I’m not a fan either. The one that irritates me the most is “2mo”… probably because, I’m afraid, the author can not actually spell “tomorrow” correctly.

PS. Excuse my grammar, English is my third language :wink:

Another thing that always gets me, is when people refer to university as “uni”… i have no idea where this came from and think perhaps it’s maybe a UK thing, but i find it really annoying. I know what they mean when it’s used in context, but it just feels like baby-speak…

maybe i’m just old.

R

Well in a linguistics take on this subject. Many of you will be sad to hear that if people tend to do something, say ‘rite’ rather then ‘right’ it will become correct and proper.
I am use to using a fare amount of acronyms and abbreviations, for technical, professional speaking. None of your write out Polyethylene terephthalate you just spit out PETE (so crass (j/k)).

n txt:

n ling u take da sub. you wil b :cry: bout rite getn rite cuz ppl says it tht way, lol.

Yeah that’s a UK thing. We don’t call university ‘school’ here, or even ‘college’. So using the word ‘university’ for everything becomes a bit of a mouthful.

I wouldn’t class it as text talk though, it’s a legitimate abbreviation over here.

another-

bored - boring
board - plank or surface.

“across the bored” ? huh?

R

Go read 1984 right now.

That’s the thing, we are not all friends, and the casual implication that everyone is can get annoying. We are colleagues. Big difference.

I stand corrected, thanks. I think it’s still relevant to my point, acronyms have less characters to translate, so are good in some contexts, but don’t necessarily take longer to actually say or think.

Since we’re on the topic of pet peeves, the general problem with homophones doesn’t bother me so much, precisely because these are words that sound the same when spoken. Even typical misspellings don’t bug me because the meaning doesn’t change.

But, the one mistake that really gets me is the interchange of “lose” and “loose.” That particular one often makes me wish I could set “lose” the hounds on the “loosers” that do it.

:)ensen.

The example I saw once and liked:

The cat is over there.
It is their cat.
They’re eating their cat over there.

Sorry for the delay. I am on Hong Kong time.

In 1984 the Ministry of Truth constantly reduced the number of words and syllables from language, under the guise of efficiency, but in fact was reducing the language in order to keep abstract and rebellious thought out of the citizens. That is my very short synopsis.

Language need to be inefficient to allow outside ideas in and allow people to think of new things. That is what I was trying to get at :slight_smile:

It is like only having exactly the right amount of the right colors to do a painting. It would efficient but allows for no creativity. It would be like paint by numbers.

My favorite pi$$ers-off;

then: 1 at that time 2) next; after that (we are going to have dinner and then go to a movie) 3) in that case (then you should have said so)

than: introducing a comparison (he plays better than he did before; you are older than he is

NOT: We are going to dinner and than going to a movie.

NOT: He plays better then he did before.

I’ll leave “seen” for another rant…

Oh yeah. Read 1984. It is a short book. While I do have the movie, it does not go into the same depth in regards to the language issue.

TIM,

Thank You for remembering us of that one.
Like every German school kid I read 1984
sometime in the past.

How come you remember this aspect that
clearly. Did you read it as an adult just recently?

I am shocked of myself that I couldn´t
remember. The book must be somewhere
down in my parents basement.

I’ll better order a new copy rightaway.

Regards.

mo-i

About 12 years ago I decided to go back and read all those “boring” books from high school. I found them much more interesting as an adult.

Yes the uni abreviation is a UK terminology. It is widely used by academics, professionals and students. As the boogey man says in our higher education we do not have schools or coleges it’s simply universities. As a conseqeunce it is a bit of a mouthfull to say.

On the texting comment it always amazes me to here professionals say that they actualy receive e-mails from students in casual language and text speak. I would be interested to know how many seasoned pro’s on here actually get casual e-mails similar to what Yo has described. Is it generally an increasing trend i.e how much of a percentage is it? I am curious as to whether it is more of a US problem as whilst on placement myself and dealing with portflio applications out of 110, there was only 1 that was written in an extremely casual language, and which was follwed up with a phone call “got any internships?”.

It also isn’t efficient because half the time people do not know what the abreviations are and have to sit their and figure it out. I can see the argument when say texting because your limited to a word limit. Although i would say if your writting an essay in text, why not just phone them?

Regarding speech evolving, it doesnt. Not in a professional environment at least. Words might change and acheive a different a meaning but spelling, punctuation and grammar doesn’t.

I reread

Fahrenheit 451
Brave New World
Anthem

and a few others a couple of years ago, they make a lot more sense later in life than when you are 16! I loved them as a kid as well, but they have a lot more relevance now.

I only read 3/4 of 1984. I will eventually get back to it. The language bits will always be clear in my memories though. Newspeak, doublethink etc. I’m still surprised that Bush never enacted the “Two minutes hate”.

The reason many people quote 1984 or use it for analogies is because it has been such a widely read book. Everyone who has ever felt rebellious seems to find it. The imagery is so vivid as well. Everyone should read it, just to continue to use it as a cultural touchstone.

I’ve really enjoyed this thread. I hate the misuse of language.

However, as someone who lives in a second language now, I’d suggest that you try to help the non-native English speakers and not delete their emails. They really may not know that it is impolite to write an email in txtspk (is that the newspeak abbreviation for text speak?). I still have to search google every time I write a letter in French. I don’t have a clue how to close or open a letter in French! Though, I always appreciate corrections from my contacts.

Regarding speech evolving, it doesnt. Not in a professional environment at least. Words might change and acheive a different a meaning but spelling, punctuation and grammar doesn’t.

I disagree. The professional environment itself evolves, and consequently so does speech. For example compare a patent from 18XX to one from 198X. Or any textbook for that matter, I’m sure you will be put off by the formality in the older stuff. Now, you might say - give me a break, that’s 100 years! But - I believe that the amount of people writing has increased so rapidly in the past decade (because of Internet and texting) that we actually get annoyed by it. And like it or not - you’re all doing this as well. You use the terms “Texting” and “googling” when in fact those aren’t even words. Still, it’s perfectly acceptable among professionals, is it not?

Sorry if I’m being unclear, in a hurry.

Another common error:
Here <–> hear

Words might change and acheive a different a meaning but spelling, punctuation and grammar doesn’t.

You’ve used a word in that sentance that has gone through change. ‘‘Doesn’t’’. As words go it’s quite recent…