Parsons Lighting Design Program

I am an international student at Parsons school of design in the MFA Architectural Lighting Program. I am very dissapointed in this program. The quality of this program seems to have gone down after the new chair of the department took over. He has made quite a mess of things, and most of the students here can’t stand him. There is no intelectual freedom here. I have since been warned by alumni and other Lighting Design Professionals to avoid this program. I wish some one had told me sooner.

Sorry to hear this. What are your plans now? Continue with the program or seek another degree?

I have put a year in already, so I think that I will finish up, if I can stand it. It is just a two year program and I have already spent so much money on tuition and moving to the US.
Everything I have learned about lighting design has been from my internship. I have learned nothing of value from the actual program. I advise people interested in lighting to seek another school, or just try getting an internship.

I have put a year in already, so I think that I will finish up, if I can stand it. It is just a two year program and I have already spent so much money on tuition and moving to the US.
Everything I have learned about lighting design has been from my internship. I have learned nothing of value from the actual program. I advise people interested in lighting to seek another school, or just try getting an internship.

I graduated from the Parson’s MFALD program. I pretty much agree. I know so many discrunteled lighting students. It’s sad but this program is not making any friends. I wish I had been warned as well.

I just graduated from this program. It was worst school. The chair was very rude, and ignored the international students. :cry:

Which year did you guys graduate from? Were you in the class with the student teacher affair?

I’m currently thinking of applying to the lighting program but would like to know more as to why one shouldn’t go, versus other lighting programs out there. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I don’t know, if you know http://www.pld-a.org/and http://www.iald.org already. These are Pro associations. Check out there website. There are some links for lighting design schools. there is one in Sweden, which is supposed to be good. Actually, I had some recommendations of their 1 year MA.

PLDA also offers workshops. I did two of them and its was a good experience. Though, its a different way then planning in your office - more direct and impulsive.

I’m sorry to hear your experience at Parsons. My “mentor” at my internship graduated from there and he was fantastic. I believe he graduated sometime early 90’s? How long has Parsons had their lighting program?

Several months back I recall seeing a new lighting program started up somewhere in Italy. I read it here on Core but I forget the actual name. Does anyone remember? Was it this?: Need A Tutor? Call Today & Get Your First Hour Free!

I appreciate the links. Thanks for the help.