PARKING METERS

Yeah,

we have them here in Portland, OR. I found a couple of pics on line pretty quickly but they lacking.

see: Portland Oregon and IA Summit

I find them somewhat confusing from an interface standpoint. But worlds better than the alternative old-school meters.

i’ve seen pics. some design blog had a bunch while back. included the SCal ones i think. none looked like 8-ball’s link.

I hate parking meters, mostly because most of them only take quarters… the stupidest set up ever.

Some countries don’t use parking meters. They just have people going around putting tickets on the windshield, on which they will put a stamp on the unit time that the car has been there. So when the driver comes back, he can just pay for the number of units of the time he parked. Good thing about this is he doesn’t have to pay immediately, and he can pay at any authorized store.

Now you may think that this means higher labor cost. Well, I don’t see how those meter maids in the US will help cut cost at all.

Singapore is one of these countries that considered meters too ugly, expensive and inconvenient to put on the streets. They use the simple self-ticketing you describe. Sadly, the U.S. still lags in intelligent design, as shown by these godawful Portland contraptions, what a medieval eyesore.

If they are the ones I’m thinking of they are different than the meters in Portland.
The Sunset Strip ones were designed by Karo Design out of Vancouver. Image below is from their website.

Too bad singapore’s system was limited in some ways.

First of all you got to go to a specific vending venues to purchase your monthly ticket. Then you have to learn how to poke holes in those tickets. If you poke the wrong hole, there goes that day’s parking allowance.
Thirdly you can only use it in places like public parking under HDB Flats ( their governmental built housing ). that being said, if I don’t park at those places regularly and need to park there for a day, there is nowhere I can purchase the ticket. So good luck getting a big fat penalty.

The place I was talking abt is Taiwan. As long as it’s a marked space on the street, you can park. You don’t need to buy any ticket, the “meter maid” will issue you one. then you don’t need to pay at specific locations. Any convenience store will do, such as 7-Elevens. Note that there are over 7000 convenient stores on that over crowded island.