paintable elasomeric materials & processes

Which adjective Best describes how you imagine dinosaur skin to feel?

• Smooth
  • Rough
  • Hard
  • Soft
  • Slimy
  • Dry
  • other

0 voters

I am currently working on a robotics project for which I have been tasked with finding potential materials and processes suitable for creating an exterior skin that meets the following criteria:
Highly flexible over many cycles without tearing or cracking.
Flexes/compresses/stretches easily for minimum power consumption.
Paintable without flaking, peeling, or cracking over lifetime of flexing.
Can be molded & textured to mimic soft flesh both visually and to touch.
I also need to be able to mimic what you would imagine dinosaur skin to feel and look like.

In addition to the above criteria, we will need a material that will be able to fill voids and form musculature between the mechanisms and the skin layer.

I understand that several materials and processes may need to be combined and/or developed to achieve this.

I would be very interested in any suggestions, contacts, or experiences you would like to share, whether it pertains to an entire solution, or just a part of it.

For those of you who are numbers people, I have intentionally omitted quantitative values in explaining the criteria, primarily to elicit a greater response from the entire design comunity. I would love to hear all of your ideas. :slight_smile:

www.smooth-on.com

good stuff… …

http://www.smooth-on.com/PDF/Dragon%20Skin%20-%20TB.pdf

I agree that Dragon Skin is very good stuff, and very near to what we are after in terms of stretchiness, and durability, but being a silicone material, I don’t believe it is readily paintable.
Am I mistaken?
Do you have any tips for decorating dragon skin? :confused:

I have not had occassion to paint this material myself. I’m just going by what the Dragon Skin “Product Overview” states;

It is water white translucent and will accept pigments for creating color effects or for creating a
paint that can be painted on to an existing Dragon Skin (or other) silicone surface.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Update%208-02/Silc%20Pig.htm

red, yellow, blue, green, black, and white … just about all you need to mix 'n match your own tones.

Technical Help Line (610) 252-5800
Toll-free: (800) 762-0744
Fax: (610) 252-6200