Ouya by Fuseproject

Links for those just hearing about this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

What do you guys think? Will it be able to successfully challenge other more established consoles? On the one hand, I love the idea (especially because hacking it could turn it into an emulator machine) but my biggest fear is that devs won’t be releasing quality games for it that can contend with other platforms since all games start off as free.

Seems a very low cost platform. I can’t see how a $99 retail price wont be a loss leader, and I can’t see how you can develop a console for $2 million dollars. Xbox lost billions before they turned a profit:
http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-01-28/tech/30063548_1_xbox-live-money-pit-kinect

Ouya doesn’t use cutting edge technology like Xbox does. This means that they don’t have to do as much research and development. It’s not like they’re designing the next Xbox Kinect. This means they don’t have to invest nearly as much money. They’re just designing a dumbed down version of a standard gaming console that is open source. Very cool idea. Very good business model. And obviously people find it compelling.

It’s interesting how much emphasis there is on Yves. Even one of the rewards is to “hang out with him for a day”. It almost feels like some kind of celebrity endorsement for geeks. Personally, at this point, I would be interested in his market success rate outside of blog hype and design awards.

I think the idea is interesting. I find myself playing mostly small $5-15 games on PS3 that I buy on PSN if I’m bored an evening. This would work great for that. Also the open source thing is really interesting, there’s really no limit to what it could do. A chipped XBOX with XBMC would still be the best media center out there if it supported HD. When they get XBMC on Ouya you can say goodbye to all the Apple TVs, Boxees etc etc. Just hope Behar won’t break the $99 pricetag, making it a high-end knife…

It’s basically a low price laptop computer without a screen or keyboard. It’s based on Android, so the software costs are very low. I’d bet it will be like a fart in the wind though.

I thought it was pretty interesting how they really emphasized Yves and FuseProject.
Initially I thought that the entire project had been initiated by FuseProject and that it was comparable to the LunaTik stuff being done by Scott Wilson.

Obvious the idea of an inexpensive Android based console is great and would likely have been a success on its own - however I would love to be able to measure the impact of FuseProject’s participation in the Kickstarter campaign.

ps. they just cracked 3million. Wow!

There’s been a few open source gaming console projects in the past. I guess this one is more marketed towards apps-style games for your TV vs hard core gaming, which is smart. It won’t be competitive against the big consoles, but then again the iPhone changed the gaming industry by focusing on $1 games. Congrats to them, $3 mill!!

In 24 hours they’ve added nearly $2 million, wow.

I see risk in asking the public to pay $99 for a device that plays freeware games, when most people already own devices that can play freeware games. To a punter with no interest in open-source-edness, big screen TV is really the only difference.

Nintendo made their first ever loss, based in part on casual gamers playing free/ cheap games on smartphones:

But some analysts believe that competition from online social-networking games and smartphone apps is denting the console market irrevocably.

“The games console market is declining altogether because mobile phone devices are allowing casual gamers to play much more easily wherever they happen to be,” said Stuart Miles, head of Pocket-lint, the technology review site.

I backed it. Worst case scenario I bought myself a media streamer which are the same price. Best case, this becomes a huge success and becomes worth more than my investment.

I have a lot of concerns. I think they might have misjudged their market, underestimated the success of Indie gaming on major consoles and boxed themselves into hardware that is outdated and not good enough to work like the console market. Consoles new are loss leaders, with hardware inside usually 10x greater than what came before it. Tegra 3 is outdated now. The only anomaly in the market was the Wii, which had a completely new way to play games and then dropped in sales and interest. Main concern hardware.

Will be fun to watch and to participate.

(side note, Core’s front page article should give credit to the firm that designed the 360 controller and not bash them when they are meaning to say third party painters make ugly objects.)

As I posted on another forum, the coordinated marketing effort behind this is uncanny. The creators of this might very well be a small, new company posing to be on the side of the aware consumer, but their investors are bound to be big and scary for sure.

I have not backed this and will be watching at least for a year from a safe distance.

(I have backed the Equiso Smart TV och Kickstarter, though. Their latest video is crap, but the first one showed Solidworks in action which I must admit made me swoon.)

eobet: You bring up an interesting point. I wonder if this thing wasn’t in the can and this is a new way of doing a test market. Kinda turns my stomach, because kickstarter is more exciting when it’s funding Davids and not the Goliaths.

Though I definitely agree on your point, the stuff that makes Kickstarter headlines, the projects that people point to as proof of the system working are from “Goliaths”. Scott Wilson/MNML (LunaTik), Tim Schafer Doublefine, even the Pebble Watch guys were making products for Blackberry. That illusion of helping the little guy isn’t just with this product.

You can think of them as Davids and Goliaths sure but I think you’re skewing the term. Just because you have a wealth of professional experience doesn’t make you a Goliath. Kickstarter is about funding people that need funding. It’s about retaining control of your idea and the execution of that idea through democratic funding. It’s not solely about funding “art projects” by unknown craftsmen. The fact that Wilson, and the Pebble guys have awesome credentials is a good thing. Without it Kickstarter would be a website full of crappy ideas. Guys like Scott and Yves on Kickstarter is a good thing, it legitimizes it as a platform for product development and their participation constantly raises the bar regarding the quality of the site’s content.

If you don’t like that top names in design are overshadowing independent artists/designers on Kickstarter you have two options, don’t back them (which will be hard because their ideas and execution are really good) or step your game up.

2 cents.

The road is littered with failed gaming consoles. I could name dozens of names, but there were so many and most of them didn’t hang around long enough to leave an impression.

But then again if Yves Béhar is behind this one, it’s tough to question his record.

If you watch closely the idiot cutting the foam mock-up on the band saw has the blade guard waaaay too high, that’s trouble waiting to happen. :laughing:

Is anyone else feeling a little let down with the ID of this little guy?

I guess given the fact that they really only show teaser shots of the controller and console that it’s probably going to undergo some massive changes by launch time, but as is, it just isn’t looking nearly as refined and dialed in as the products I’m used to seeing coming out of Fuseproject. The forms and the cmf all look dated to me.

I was responding to the notion that this project is somehow backed by any more “goliaths” than others. I put goliaths in quote because I think it was a skewed term to begin with. This small group of very experienced people seems hardly any different than those like the LunaTik team, DoubleFine, and the guys from Pebble. It doesn’t matter who the backers are in the situation. I’m sure big names have been apart of big projects/companies in the process.[/quote]

The controller I don’t mind. It seems more like a riff off the the 360 controller which is/was one of the best the market has seen. There’s a reason why so many choose it’s form factor over others. It’s nothing really “new” to me. The box seems out of place with the rest of their work. I think it will change.

Apparently the hardware internals aren’t finalized either, in terms of processing power, etc. I think people will be up in arms over it’s choice in Tegra 3, but I don’t really know how much better they’ll get and try to keep it at $100 (if that’s the retail they shoot for).

It’ll be fun to watch though, especially with next gen consoles right around the corner.

I’ve never liked the 360 controller. The N64 controller is my favourite.

Do you think that Home Consoles are in the same position as movie theatres are? They need more gadgets/ peripherals that are exclusive to their system (Kinect, Wii controller, PS Move etc), like 3D in cinemas?

The 64 controllers were fun. I personally liked the GameCube controller at its time, but as it evolves there’s different needs obviously.

I think game consoles are in a unique position to take a left turn in their business model with next gen. Things like the Kinect are pretty advanced, sell well and are fun, but I don’t think they are the future yet. They are like 3D movies. Entertainment center. I’d really love for one of the major players to disrupt the cable industry model.

Reading through the Kickstarter again, maybe I over estimated where this team is, but I still feel they are a well-funded operation just looking to test market the product.

Scott Wilson, the pebble guys, etc. seemed to go to kickstarter with just a plan and an idea. Maybe a rough prototype. They didn’t have the $30k to burn on tooling without some guaranty that someone will buy the thing!

These guys seem to have an advanced prototype and a complete design. Since they had the money for that, I assume they have the funds to go all the way to production without kickstarter. That’s why I say they are a Goliath that just wants the publicity and validation that Kickstarter can bring.

Maybe I’m wrong though…I don’t know the team. It will be interesting to follow.