Other than design

Other than MID, which other graduate degree would you find useful in helping you as an industrial designer?

I’ve heard this asked here before, alot of people said MBA or business management.

Well, that helps the career, but what about being a designer? I was thinking along the line of understanding and exploring people and the interactions between them and design. I find that when people get a title such as “designer” or “architect”, they often separate themselves from being consumers, especially during the process of the design itself.

I know that Richard Sapper, one of the bigger european designers, studied subjects like economics and philosophy

I personally think the philosphy probably helped him think though what a product he was working on “should” look like…

If I were going to go back to school, I think I would try to take a wide variety of classes outside of one masters… such as anthropology, sociology, marketing, business, writing, philosophy, maybe Chinese, entreprenualship, psychology, engineering, architecture, probably more I left out… I personally think that broader knowllege helps in design, and all thoose have some relevancy in ID

How about something focussing on ergonomics/human factors. Those degrees are offered usually by either engineering or psychology departments. I can’t make any recommendations but I am certain some schools will have a design focus over the more technical time-motion type of studies.

I would also not dismiss an MBA, especially if it were focused on the overall product development cycle. A engineering/psycology/design degree will keep you on the tactical side of product development. An MBA will open up the strategic side of product development and allow you to control the overall direction of a product, product line or company. In more basic words, research, design and engineering will be your bitch.

iab brings up good points. Philosophy, ergonomics, architecture, etc will enhance your design work, but don’t necessarily make you more marketable or eligible for promotion and leadership. Yes, I am admitting that many people (especially in the corporate world) care more about titles than aptitude and merit, gasp.