Other Experience and Design Employment

How important is other experience in getting an ID job? In my case I am in the Air Force. I am taking as many classes as I can Online through Academy of Art University and reading as many Graphic Design and ID books as I can. I just tested for, and made, Staff Sergent. My career field is Emergency Management (FEMA type stuff). So I will have about four years of Supervision experience and a two month supervision school done. Eight years of Emergency Management experience. I also am a trained expert in Chem, bio and Radiological weapon defense.

I know the NBC training will not help much, but, will the management and supervision be helpful in finding a job?

I am also going to start screen printing (shirts and posters). I learned how when I was a kid from my father. Would this be helpful to include in my portfolio?

It is hard to say if those things will have an impact on the interview level, but I’m sure they will years down the line if you start to manage other designers.

At the interview level, your screen printed t shirts will most likely have a bigger impact because it shows your initiative to be creative.

Are you planning on going back to school as well for an ID degree beyond the online classes?

I’d think that if you were able to just come it, that people might find it something to talk to you about.

I will be taking classroom classes. They don’t offer the entire degree online. I also feel that, while I am getting the credits I need for a degree, I am missing a lot of learning opportunities not interacting with other students and instructors in person. I am really looking forward to getting out and back into school. In the meantime, I will be moving to Utah, near Salt Lake City, and hope to find some designers there to learn from. I know that this is a competitive field and that my circumstances are not ideal for learning it, but, it took me many years to find something I love to do and I will fight tooth and nail to learn and master it.

i have know a number of industrial designers with military backgrounds. the key trait i’ve noticed is their composure under pressure. it’s a real asset in the deadline-driven aspect. my roommate in college was a GW1 vet (usmc), my last boss was a VN vet.

SLC is where BYU is, iirc. i knew industrial designers from their school, good skills.

[quote=“Kung Fu Jesus”]the key trait i’ve noticed is their composure under pressure.quote]

Let’s compare, a few presentation concept sketches OR getting riddled with bullets by the insurgents…I think I’d be pissing my pants more about the insurgents rather than a few measely sketches haha

thanks for stating the obvious.

ex-military designers seem to have a better focus and prioritizing system than most under duress, in my experience.

i have know a number of industrial designers with military backgrounds. the key trait i’ve noticed is their composure under pressure.

Not to mention, devotion, commitment, goal making, loyalty, and esprit de corps. Besides basic training in a given discipline, all a “degree” really does is demonstrate to a prospective employer that one has the ability to stick to a particular path in life, to put up with adversity, and overcome.

How important is other experience in getting an ID job?

Staff Sergent
Emergency Management
four years of Supervision experience
two month supervision school
Eight years of Emergency Management experience
trained expert in Chem, bio and Radiological weapon defense.

it took me many years to find something I love to do and I will fight tooth and nail to learn and master it

All of the above are demonstrate initiative, leadership, the acceptance of personal responsibility, a grasp of complex technical concepts, the ability to make decisions, and especially perseverance. Pretty important traits to any organization I would say.

BTW, thank you for your service MiNUS1.