ORI Living: An amazing space saving Design disrupting Furniture Industry

Hello All,
Has anyone here heard of or checked the start-up name Ori Living? I am very impressed with their approach of multiplying the use of limited space with the help of creative furniture Design and robotics

https://www.oriliving.com/

Wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience with their setup or what you all think about this.

As this hugely disrupts the furniture design industry with the unique take, looking forward to hear different perspective

I know they won a few awards but it seems like it would be a very expensive solution!

1 Like

That’s true. As of now what i have read so far on it, they are only launching through contracts with apartment communities rather than direct retail due to the high cost involved.

I am curious to see what the future holds and may be someone else will come with an inexpensive solution using their reference.

I’m currently engaged with a robotics project and have had to learn all about the limitations of stepper motors. Furniture like the Oriliving concepts will require considerable motor and gearing when lifting the weight of a cantilevered queen size bed to the ceiling.

There is a trade off in the Nm of torque that a stepper motor can deliver vs a hydraulic motor. A 100W BLDC motor that delivers 0.32 Nm of holding torque as well as peak torque up to 0.96 Nm at 3000 rpm will cost anywhere from $175 to $250 at the low end. At the high end of torque, a 4 hp (3 kW) Brushless DC Motor, 48V/72V/96V, will give you 10 Nm of holding torque with peak torque of 30 Nm, These motors cost between $800-$1000 each.

After the gearing design and motor specification there is motor controller design, software programming and lots of UX/UI to consider.

I’ve learned a lot about robots from the ABB company based in Switzerland. Robots are quite expensive to maintain for now.

1 Like

That’s an interesting Insight. Coming from a robotics background myself and having attempted to use automation in faucets I can understand the limitation. But with the rapid advancement in robotics R&D won’t be that expensive in near future.

I am not sure what technology Ori is using. But they seem to be designing it smartly to reduce the load on motors. For e.g. in one of the videos, they seem to be using slide rails right on the floor, to avoid the counterforce required against gravity. Or using a support wire while lifting upwards again to reduce to net load on motors.

Just some of my observations. I appreciate you sharing your insight on motor limitations.

If given an opportunity I would love to ask these questions to their CEO, Hasier Larrea.

I don’t have any direct experience with Ori living. I’m responding because this seems like an area I have been giving a lot of thought to.

I have been working towards a mass manufacturing process that is scaled to batches of ten.
The simple idea I’m trying to work with is that all the stuff on the inside of these technology products can be any size. The near future should be able to support a cottage industry of “last mile” designs. The idea is that expensive part is shipped in a much rawer form and local designer/makers/craftspeople will make the final box.

So a refrigerator might be purchased without the insulated panels which would be crafted by a local artisan and combined with an engineered refrigerator circuit.

That wold provide the home owner with a better integrated appliance and would likely reduce the disposal of many steel carcasses.

To get started I have a 2 x 3 meter CNC and I will be working with my own vacuum resin infused panels.

I will be working full time on this effort by the end of the year.

I think we are at a golden age of technology and the 15-20 years will be an absorption of all the ideas of the past 40 years repackaged into a more human form. I don’t expect much success but I will enjoy the journey. If anyone wants to discuss this type of thing more we could set-up a different thread so as not to hijack this one.

Ben

1 Like

Hello Ben,
Thank you for sharing this information with us. Definitely sounds interesting but futuristic. Based on what you mentioned sounds like it would make it more expensive depending on the local labor market and skillset available. Other issues could include more chaotic after-sales support.

Just something I think based on what you shared. But I may be completely wrong as I don’t know much about it. Definitely wish you good luck with your effort and do keep us posted on how it goes.

Once again thank you for sharing

@bdgCogs if you are open to showing the group I’d love to see it!

Funny I thought it would make it cheaper by reducing shipping costs. I believe in the USA we need jobs that require more skills. So I disagree but I freely admit that my efforts will be completely cost ineffective.

What I want to see is if I can build a more efficient higher quality refrigerator for the same price. I do have nagging feel that I can compete with the subzeros and other high end brands.

This is a brand new effort so I’ll I have are specifications, sketches, and spreadsheets. I’m about to start in earnest.

What I do have is an apartment building that I expect to use as a prototyping lab.

View.cogs.com

I will start my own thread in general design

Sounds fun! Maybe the “projects” section instead of general?

Projects is fine. I thought General because I was going to discuss ideas about rating technology as an aesthetic. I was thinking artifacts under projects.

The embarrassing thing is that I can’t figure out how to start any thread

:slight_smile:
I think I uploaded a screenshot of the area I expect a post button.

@bdgCogs You should see a button next to the bell icon. Let me check into your permissions.

I think I just lifted your level from basic to member which should allow you to make a new topic. @shaggy I think I did that right?

Interesting, looking forward to learning more about your project.

Thanks @_yo - you did it correctly!