Opinions on my CV?

Hi I’m an interior design graduate and just looking for some feedback on my CV.

Could I ask people’s opinions on my CV please. Anything - positives or ways to make it better. Any comments are much appreciated.

Its in the link below or if preferred I can upload a picture

Thanks

:slight_smile:

Hi danni,
The overall graphic profile looks nice! Like it belongs to a designer, while still being readable.

I’m not sure if the Interests section really adds much to your CV. I might be tempted to take it out altogether. Your personal blurb could also be more personalized and punchy I think – right now it reads a bit like what any recent graduate in design might say… Maybe try to set yourself apart, as to what makes YOU really unique. It also looks long and a bit daunting to read – if it were shorter, then people will be more willing to read it.

I took a quick look at your other work, and it looks very good!! I think your portfolio will be what will land you interviews! :slight_smile: Good luck!

Hi danni,

I have to disagree with bulletproof. When I read interior designer, my first thought was “master designer of spaces” and your resume at least for me speaks otherwise. It feels a little disorganized in my opinion with no true hierarchy of the information.

I would get rid of the work samples and recommend you not using the “tag cloud” look for your skills, it looks a bit outdated plus it’s not helping you in terms of the fonts you chose and the odd sizings.

Use the teal only as an accent color. Using the teal everywhere tells the viewer “I, myself don’t know whats important.” Your personal statement in the blurb, make it more concise and bigger. You dont need to tell your whole life story in your CV, just enough to get people’s attention.

Watch out for kerning! D anielle Steel? The spacing between the D and the A is off and the A looks far too wide. Pay attention to the details. As a designer, any designer, you need to have an eye for the details.

I will have to agree with sketchroll.
I would suggest that the job a resume needs to do, it is to convey the most important information as quickly as possible. Hence hierarchy is key.

It seems to me a bit as if you are trying to shoe-horn information into a resume that it isn’t really suited for. It is a bit coverletter with personal statements about you working in retail as well as portfolio with work samples.

In my opinion, the resume should be a document that states the facts, nuts and bolts of your qualifications, professional experience and education.
In the coverletter, you can elaborate on with an analysis of these hard facts and how they are important in relation to you as a designer as well as a person.
The portfolio will be the place to show your work and put everything into context.
After all, you will submit all these three documents anyway when you are applying for a job.

In terms of the resume you have up now, there are a few things that jumped out at me.
Besides the already mentioned kerning and spacing issues (which to a designers eye are hard to overlook), I would also take another pass at the info you are including.
Don’t feel like you have to add text just for the sake of adding text and making your resume appear fuller.

What is relevant or not is of course debatable but I wouldn’t for example include that you are currently participating in a competition. What makes this participation special? Did you get selected to send in a proposal? Are you one of the finalists? If this is a special honor, you should let the reader know.
In the same section, you are stating that your work has been exhibited “in a gallery”, which is great. However, let us know what gallery and where as well, which will give it a lot more weight.
If it was your grandmother’s garage. which people will assume without name and place, take it off the resume.

The style is not my cup of tea and does appear a bit out of date, but that is really something only you can decide for yourself.
The font and the colors are yours to choose as a truthful representation of your aesthetic and you should really go with what you find attractive. Copying somebody’s minimalist style, if it isn’t yours, is not a good idea, even if people might push you there.

To summarize, I would recommend to be clear about the purpose of your resume, have the reader in mind and try to find a way to convey the most important facts as quickly and efficient as possible.

As said before and I do agree with sketch roll and bepster
Think before you choose your typeface, because it does define your taste and personality.
Do not stretch any typeface, because it does not look appealing and looks unprofessional.
For your skills, you can replace them with logos instead of too much text.
Try avoiding too much text, which makes it lengthy and boring to read. Use Bold to highlight the important words. Specially in the green colon.
Be careful while using Justified text, because its making more tough for me to read.
The size of the logos on left like phone email… should be smaller like interest, because thats not the important things in a CV.
Highlight education, experience and skills.