Opinions about CCA and MassArt?

Hey all, I’m thinking about getting into ID and was wondering what people thought of California College of Art (CCA) and Massachusetts College of Art (MassArt). How’s the work of the undergrads coming out of there? How is their reputations? Thanks!

just out of curiosity, why those 2?

Of those two, I’d say CCA. MassArt’s program is quite weak, Boston isn’t as good for ID (internships, etc.) as the Bay Area, and CCA has more prestigius faculty and more funding.

Grew up in the Boston area, so MassArt’s resident tuition is like 3400 a semester, and CCA because I went to the bay area for my for my first undergrad. degree.

I might shy away from CCA- myself. Though I just recently graduated from that program, and enjoyed my time there, you may find that the value of the education doesn’t meet the cost. While Yves Behar is the new Chair there, and many of the faculty I consider friends, its an expensive place, not without its problems. I worked my ass off and learned a ton, but I always wonder what if I had gone to say, San Jose State. Some good designers have come out of that program, too.

Yo, you have an opinion about SJ state, don’t you? Or was it AI in SF? Didn’t much like that place when I toured it a few years back.

I go to SJSU… There are some serious downsides to consider in comparison to CCA:

1_ The director of the art program (Milnes) just quit. He was one of the only approachable guys in that building.

2_ The art building facilities are getting long in the tooth. Workable, but old.

3_ The parking is so bad I can’t even describe. You can’t get through the program and drive daily… it’s that bad.

4_ The teachers are so inundated with student requests that they are often not available to help. You have to fight and scrap for every little resource you get.

5_ The head of the ID program is the devil. Check out ratemyprofessor and look
up “migurski”. You’ll need a membership to scroll through the pages and pages of negative remarks.

6_ The administration at SJSU is by far the worst, most inefficient group of bureaucrats you’ll ever meet. They make the DMV look friendly.

7_ You haven’t seen panic until you’ve experienced the first two weeks of class at SJSU. Fighting for classes, parking, canceling classes at the last minute. What a frickin hassle.

…also, prepare to take ~20-30% more history, science, and general ed classes not required at CCA.

…that said, it’s IS thousands and thousands cheaper that CCA.

yeah- CCA was way better than that.

sheesh.

I take it all back.

There are tons of firms in Boston including DC and Ideo. There are also companies like New Balance, Puma and Converse. Furthermore, who says you can only get internships around the school? Students should go as far as possible while they can.

Don’t pick a school on a hunch that you may someday get an intership in the area. Pick a school for what it offers to the student and how it will influence you directly. You can go anywhere for an intership, which will give you the chance to travel and experience different places. And yes, boston has a lot of business opportunities.

That said- it doesn’t hurt to have a good alumni organization or developed internship program. Without those types of outreach programs/student facilities- the school puts you, as the student at a disadvantage to other students. I believe its really important to see how the school is relating to business and community that surrounds them.

Some schools have whole programs set up to help students get into internships-type situations (cincinatti?). CCA, when I started, had one binder in the office that had internships in it for all programs (not just id). Neither organized, nor proactive. Nearly useless. The ID leadership didn’t have any ability to help beyond ‘get your portfolio together’ (that said, that may have been that leadership- which has since changed). I say, you need the business/design shop opportunites and a school who can facilitate the hook-up.

Yeah, I’ve been looking into Cincinatti and some other schools…just alittle hesitant, just because I’d be 26 year old freshman in a school and city where I know absolutely no one!

Hey,

I was 29 when I went back to school. Felt like a bigger deal than it was.

If you are going to do it, go BIG, and do it right.

‘Do, or do not. There is no try’ - Master Yoda

Yeah, well my reason for thinking about CCA is I hear they do alot with sustainable design…true?

Yeah.

More than just lip service, I think. There were several different projects that involved sustainable materials/practices. It was good. One prof who is driving that is James Baldwin (aka JB). A fantastic kook, and good friend, who worked with Bukky Fuller back in the day. Sustainability is a big part of who/what he does.

There was some turnover in leadership very recently- so the character of things may have changed a bit. I don’t know.

Cincinnati is supposed to have a very strong ID program and graphics program; however, they have very funky admission standards. First, there is no portfolio required or suggested. In fact, if you send one in, it won’t even be considered.

Secondly, they admit primarily based on SATs and class rank. They have two cuts: the first for early decision, requires top 10% of class and/or unweighted GPA or 3.75. You can have a slightly lower class rank if you have SATs of 1320. Also, if you are in a very tough school, such as magnet school, they don’t seem to vary these standards. You still need to be in the top 10%!

The second and regular decision process requires SATs of either 1320 and top 35% or lower SATs with higher class rank. Also they want a minimum of 3.5 unweighted GPA. They supposedly don’t even take class toughness into account. As I said, they have very odd admission standards.

I’m not sure, cause I don’t remember anymore, but those requirements sound like a typical universites?

I BEG YOU TO QUIT THE PROGRAM SINCE IT IS SOOOOO UNBEARABLE. I REALLY WANT YOU TO BE HAPPY. PLEASE TELL YOUR FELLOW COMPLAINERS, YOU KNOW WHO THEY ARE TO STOP WHINNING (I KNOW YOU KNOW WHO THEY ARE). WORK FOR IT! TRY TO MAKE YOUR BRAIN WORK A LITTLE.

AGAIN PLEASE LEAVE THE SCHOOL SO WE DON’T HAVE TO HEAR YOUR BITCHING AND MOANING AND TAKE YOUR FRIENDS WITH YOU. I AM SORRY THE SCHOOL AND THE PROGRAM IS SUCH AN INCONVINIENCE FOR YOU. I DO AGREE WITH YOU ON 6 AND 7.

ASK YOURSELF WHY YOU ARE STILL HERE?

JUST LET IT GO MAN… LEAVE. MAKE SOME ROOM FOR MY FOAM…

I AM ACTUALLY KIND OF GLAD YOU WROTE THIS… BUT IT MAY BE TOO MUCH FOR YOU…

LEAVE… YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO… IT’S A GOOD IDEA… GO AWAY… JUST LET GO… YOU WILL FEEL BETTER… GOOD LUCK… OH YEAH, DON’T FORGET TO TAKE YOUR FRIENDS…

How about letting people express their opinions on a subject and actually provide usefully information? This is a PUBLIC forum, and people have to right to express their opinion…at least the guy complaining about SJSU actually provided some useful information/point of view with what the actual post was about, which was ID programs, instead of just the ramblings of someone who’s insecure and feels the need to tell random people to shut up.

He expressed his opinion and I expressed mine and so you did. What’s your point?

Yes, we don’t have the best machinery. Yes, Milnes left. Yes, someone will replace him. Yes, I don’t agree with him. Yes, you’re free to add your opinion. Yes, the world will still spin.

Where did you learn to read between the lines? I was just giving him an idea he probably hasn’t come across not telling him to shut up.

I am not judging him or you for what you wrote. Are you capable of not telling me who and how I am? In fact I am none of those things you said.

If you were here you would be amazed at how many students complain. My question is why are they here if it’s so bad for them. Leave. Problem solved.

Lack of understanding of themselves and what professors are trying to teach us causes that. Heck, I am confused most of the time and get frustrated but many expect everything on silver platter. They’ll end up as designers who are incapable of doing anything without someone telling them what to do. It’s not my problem.

If you heard it over and over semester after semester, you might be tired of it also like I am.

Notice, strong students don’t complain. They look for solutions and don’t have time to post in these forums. Which tells you something about me (I post.)

Anyway, I think I’ve done enough “rambling.”

My peace be upon you.

Yeah, that’s a pretty common curriculum for state universities. They aim to give a more liberal education that includes a bit more focus outside of art and design. For instance, CCA doesn’t require Physics, American Government, or a writing skills course to do ID, whereas SJSU does - stuff like that. Private schools sometimes allow people to focus more, almost like trade schools. If time is an issue and you have the $$, you can often save the time of dealing with admissions, transportation, registration problems… and based on previous posts, a lot of complaining and yelling.

Do you get what you pay for? It depends on what you think you’re paying for. Is it worth the additional $18,000.00 a year not to deal with all of the above, or do you expect the teachers to be a much higher calibre for the money? If the latter, you may be disappointed. If the former, private may be for you.

I’ll say this, graduating with a potential $96,000 tuition bill in a field that is uber-competitive, candidate heavy and doesn’t pay all that well makes one pause.