Online Portfolio: Such a thing as 'too simple'?

Subject says it all. I know the general consensus is simple is better, but can you be ‘too simple’?

Using my own online portfolio as an example, www.jon-lee.com. Let me know what you think, all you wonderful people.

(Great site by the way - been reading these forums for almost a year, can’t say how much great advice I’ve found!)

I like the feel of it, but I wouldn’t cal it overly simple. The color often clashes with the color of the work making certain pages feel less cohesive, something I struggle with in my own site, leading me to make the interface largely neutral. Something to think about.

Thanks for the advice there. I noticed that same problem early on in the design phase, but wasn’t sure how it would turn out in the end. I’m working on a much more neutral color palette, so we’ll see how that goes. :smiley:

Can I say something?
I absolutely hate it when people use numbers instead of thumbnails, text, or anything else that could give the slightest clue of what the visitor is about to see in a portfolio. There’s no fun in this type of guess work…

I’m with you, definitely not preferred…

That’s a good point. Since I know what each page is, I guess I didn’t take that failing into consideration. I’ll replace them with thumbnails, I think. It’ll be good to add some more color! Thanks for the candor, guys.

I like the simplicity, but either your images in your portfolio section are too large, or my internet is just running slowly! I like the currency design, pretty cool. I’m with Conningham and Yo on the numbers vs thumbnails bit.

being minimal does not mean requiring the user to click 4 times to see your work. put your images upfront to hook the user without any clicks.

Definately not too simple. Engaging layout, nice font. I was suprised how fast it loaded. Some thumbnails shouldn’t slow it down very much. You may want to include a signal to scroll over to see more of each project. If you’re slow like me tha bars on the bottom and side may blend right into the border. I flipped through a few projects before I realized that I had missed several images. Nice job.