OLEV on SOLAR ROAD

In this green period…so many great things & projects getting surfaced…It is just amazing to watch these development…
& eagar to see …when it will get implemented…
From Electric car…is the focus shifting towards ELECTRIC ROAD…?? :slight_smile:

I came across these two developments…
one is Korean OLEV vehicle ( Online electric vehicle ) & another one is SOLAR ROAD from US…
OLEV KAIST korean electric vehicle project
SOLAR ROAD http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/08/27/solar-roadways-to-prototype-first-ever-solar-road-panel/
YERT Conversation 19.1: Solar Roadways - YouTube

& if we combine them together…resulting hassle-free transportation…
Just imagine what could be the future vehicle will look like…without any major driving medium (no combustion engine or batteries) although You might require something for Off-road activities.
May be… there will be phone away recharge option for running vehicle across these roads… :smiley:
solar-roadway.jpg
koreacar00.jpg

Neat idea but I fear way too impracticable; the roads can be easily damaged, would be exorbitantly expensive, you’d have to pave everyone’s drive way with them.

The only future transportation medium that will work is something that mimics our current infrastructure with very little changes. On a related note as well, the all-electric car will never work unless you can charge the whole battery in under 2 minutes.

I do agree with you that the electric vehicle developments are …& will be there for near future.
BUT there are problems with regards to -

nowadays various models of electric vehicles designed to replace the internal
combustion automobiles face significant problems, as they invariably fail to overcome
the limitations involving lithium battery in terms of power capacity, weight, raw
material price, recharging time and preparation of charging stations. worst of all,
the limited supply of lithium will eventually raise its price sky high when all cars use
lithium batteries, and the economic value of electric cars will be lost.

These are few reasons other developments are poping up like Solar Road or OLEV or etc…
Although they will take long period to be get practical face.

I came across another development in the area of electric battery/car
which is INDEX:Award > 2009 Winners > BETTER PLACE

It is basically switching station for electric batteries. Pull vehicle in the station then switch battery & drive away…with charged one…Do you think this will solve the problem of electric battery charging in the city?

I like the idea of slot cars for everyone. It makes a lot of sense from a technical perspective as the car doesn’t have to lug around all the weight of batteries. I think it could work if only some roads have the electrical grid and the cars have small batteries that recharge when they are on an electrified road way. Probably only practical in dense urban areas though.

Agreed. The other issues with pure electric. I think something like 30% of energy is lost during transmission, not very efficient. Where do you get the electricity from? Coal plants? Not a very good alternative. Electric vehicle will require serious break throughs in the creation, transmission, and storage of electricity.

I don’t see building and maintaining electrified roads happening anytime soon, we can barely maintain regular roads. The gasoline replacement is going to have to have all of the features of gasoline and I honestly doubt if it will happen until oil becomes expensive enough to extract that it makes sense from a profit motive standpoint. Not saying that is right, just that is how I think people will handle it. Could be something like this: http://www.greencar.com/articles/ovonic-h2-prius-showcases-solid-hydrogen-storage-technology.php

Most technology advances have more features, not less. Take the switch from VHS to DVD. More compact, lasts longer, not effected by magnetic fields, able to skip around instantly, able to store much more data for special features and what not. The only trade offs were the no ability to record (which was a benefit to the movie industry and the cable company), and a fragile surface… there was no “we know you could use the VHS player everywhere, but you can only use the DVD player in California and New York, and only for 90 minutes at a time, once a day”

I still say the Honda Clarity fuel cell car is the future. Instead of working on battery breakthru’s we could be working on Hydrogen infrastructure and fuel cell tech. Anything where the only emission is water is great.

exactly.

there are significant challenges with hydrogen as well. Creating hydrogen in a way that expends less energy than it takes to make it (same problem with most bio fuels, I read an estimate that making ethanol from corn costs nearly double the amount of energy that you can get from it… not to mention all the fertilizers that go into the ground to ensure a high yield crop). And then how do we store it, solid, liquid, pressurized? And then how do we use it? Fuel Cell to battery to electric motor?

There’s always Mr. Fusion…

I think in the Clarity’s case, hydrogen goes in in liquid form. And there are smaller and fewer batteries than with hybrids or straight electric cars.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/how-fcx-works.aspx

:wink:

I’ll stop now…

Anything where the > only emission > is water is great.

I guess this doesn’t quite fulfill the requirement.
Antwerpse_omnibus  2.JPG

Water’s not the ONLY emission there…

there are few hurdles…in each category

1. electric battery : power capacity, weight, raw material price, recharging time and preparation of charging stations
  2. Hydrogen fuel cell : extraction of hydrogen, big and cumbersome, Safety issues, hydrogen evaporates…
  3. Solar roads : not yet practically proven…
    But it has some good points against others…
  • No need to carry big units of electric battery or Fuel cell tank…hence not very huge manufacturing set up is required to produce them
  • If there are any issues for the loss of energy …anyway primary energy source is free (solar energy)
  • No need to develop fuel/petrol/charging Pump or Centers (infrastructre) required…while solar road will require its own controlling stations…
  • No need to carry solar panel on the head or body of the vehicle ( optional :wink: )
    The main purpose of Solar road energy is to attain countries power needs…transportaion could be just by-product.

hey…here is another proposal for Arizona
http://instring.com/2009/05/26/technology-news-solar-powered-bullet-train-for-arizona/
Only questionable part is …whether you want solar roof or solar tracks…?
Solar_powered_bullet_train.jpg

The problem I have with these technologies and many others like them is that they do not really address the real issues, most are only band aids. People seem to think that there is some miracle energy source out there for the taking and we just have to figure it out and all our problems will be solved (yes its the sun I know). The bigger issue at hand is that no matter what energy sources we are using, we as humans waste most of it. During the transmission of electricity we lose almost 80%!! of what was produced at a plant by the time it reaches our houses. When driving a car less than 1% of the energy used is actually used to move you, the rest is moving the car or making heat and noise. Continuing this trend of irresponsibility with new sources of energy won’t really solve anything.

It seems obvious to me that waiting around for technology to give us so much extra energy that we can’t waste it all, is an awfully optimistic view. People in this country are just unwilling to change fearing that their way of life will be negatively affected.

Sorry to rant, but these things just make me a little angry from time to time.

I tend to support your rant Dubya.

Humans managed to transport themselves for centuries with out burning carbon based fuels. Until the advent of the steam engine the average speed of ground transportation was less than 15mph. The clipper sailing ships of the 1840’s were the fastest thing on the planet: maximum sustained speed 18 knots [20.7 mph].

Walking speed of average human; 2 mph

Galloping horse: ~ 30 mph (max)

Thoroughbred race horse: ~40 mph (6 furlongs)

Frank Hopkins (of Hidalgo movie fame) a military dispatch rider, rode a stallion named Joe 1800 miles from Galveston, Texas, to Rutland, Vermont, in 31 days (average 58 miles/day). [average speed of 4.8 mph].

6-horse stage coach; 40 miles/~12 hours [3.33 mph]