okay, I had enough...

Is there any other Jobs related to ID where one can look for since ID firms have this “lets not even offer Internships” mentality to fresh out of school kids. I need to pay the bills and loans, therefore I want to expand my employment opportunity.

Besides firms which are generally smaller, look at bigger corporations which may have designers on staff. A corporation will generally have more of an ability to take on interns (paid at that), might even have a whole program set up for it.

Some ideas for things I came up with in my similar situation 8 years ago:

Freelance
Graphic Design
Furniture Design
Interior Design
Exhibit Design - Tradeshow or Educational
Kitchen Design (Home Depot/Lowes/Mennards)
Cabinet Design
Fixture Design
Game Design
Illustration
Model Making
CAD work
Furniture making
Set Design
Paint shops
Fab Shops
Furniture Repair
Event Design
Vehicle Graphics
Sales - Selling design related products or design services to design savvy customers

Or the alternative, develop another skill related to what your strengths and interests so at least you’re doing something you enjoy while you make some cash even if it’s not ID work. The benefit to this is if you ever find yourself laid off in the future you have something you can fall back on. Sales work can boost your presentation/inter-personal skills, shop work can enhance your technical skills, etc. If you go this route though it’s up to you to do your own self-motivated design work to keep your portfolio fresh.

Freelance
Graphic Design
Furniture Design
Interior Design
Exhibit Design - Tradeshow or Educational
Kitchen Design (Home Depot/Lowes/Mennards)
Cabinet Design
Fixture Design
Game Design
Illustration
Model Making
CAD work
Furniture making
Set Design
Paint shops
Fab Shops
Furniture Repair
Event Design
Vehicle Graphics
Sales - Selling design related products or design services to design savvy customers

Greenman brings up some good suggestions and points here. You have to rethink what it is that ID is to you. Don’t just focus on those high profile firms and think about using your skills for graphics, Illustrations, Model Making, POP are just a few. Remember that this is just to keep your skills going. Also take up freelance work around you doing whatever creative work you can find. Take things that other people don’t want to do. This is a great way for you to keep yourself moving creatively as well as making connections.

You have your whole career a head of you. You have plenty of time to find yourself as a designer. Don’t think of taking things that may not be what you want as being a bad thing, but more of you growing as a designer and making connections that will help you in the future.

PackageID is right on, the list I threw down is by no means definitive, there’s far more than that. Of course you can always take a job just to save up money and go travel for a year :slight_smile:

It doesn’t hurt to work as a design intern to gain necessary skills to get you the 1st job in this economy. Companies are hiring people with 2-3 years of experience because they can handel the project with much less supervision and trainging.

That’s how I did during the last down turn, it eventually turned out to be a full-time job on the client side…

Good luck and keep trying.