ok, thats it, im going into furniture...FULL TIME, NATCH.

oh, the lonely and slow moving furniture forum. just wanted to say that as a student ive decided to go into furniture full time. at first it started off with two classes. (the table, and the the cabinet) but i got so into it that im going to go for it full time. so, yeah. im with you all.

is this furniture design in a classical sense, or design in industrial design?

by classical, i mean full ortho drafts and details like you would do for residential (i.e. claw foot, finials, etc.).

industrial design typically leads towards contract or KD sort of items.

just curious.

Im starting off with furniture in a studio emphasis. Eventually i will move on and see what happens…but for now…studio work only.

good question but at this point the school takes on a more classical approach but doesnt hate it when you take on an ID approach.

congrats dude, it is always great to have a personal sense of focus, and to be working on something that you choose.

awesomo!

get an internship or two. real-world experience REALLY puts you ahead in furniture.

Excellent decision… furniture is a fantastic industry right now. However, if you are interested in more of studio stuff and want to do it all on your own, check this guy out.

http://www.chrismartinfurniture.com

Does some nice work and he’s a really nice guy (was my furniture professor in college) I’m sure he would be more than willing to give any advice about anything furniture related.

OK, I took some furniture classes to from a very prominant woodworker (I’m not bragging because I don’t think I’ve very good yet). Anyway, I really really enjoyed designing my two chairs in those classes. I loved doing the ergonomic studies and figuring out which way grain would go and how to reinforce all the joints. I also enjoyed working with this great professor.

However, I did not enjoy myself as much actually sitting in the shop actually building them. I got frustrated when things didn’t go like I predicted or had to work through all those annoying little things that just happen.

Anyway, I was wondering, in a furniture design company, do designers stay on the design side more, or do they work in the shop building as well? I would love to just design and design and have someone else build my furniture. (I know thats kinda selfish, but I thought I’d ask anyway).

Dan,

First, my compliments on your portfolio. Nice sketching and ideas.

I design and build my own prototypes very early on in the process. I don’t spend alot of time making sketches look pretty. I prefer to work on the full working prototype to make sure it goes together easily. Nothing worse than a designer who hasn’t considered how to assemble something. I also work closely with the experts: sewers, upholsterers, assemblers during the prototype phase for their input and to make sure they give their blessing. It fosters cooperation if everyone feels they have a say in the process.

Once the model goes into production, I don’t touch it again. I’m onto the next thing then.

Best of luck,

Phil McCrackin

chekc out him!

Are you anyhow related to this designer? :wink: I really like this guy’s stuff…he is a fine craftsman with great eye and design talent.

www.iwoodfish.com

Ive been learning the furniture craft for almost 2 years now and am starting an ID program later this month. Your January thread that inadvertantly kicked off the long discussion/argument/dead horse beating about what is ID and what is design etc… was just the thinig I had been looking for.

Over the last year or so, I have been observing how woodworkers, interior designers and architects define their work and their relation to these other professions. In my observation, there are REALLY vague definitions about what “design” is and WHO does it. I met a number of skilled wood craftsmen, who have a disdain for art and who are quick to criticize interior designers as having absolutely no sense of their materials or of reality at all regarding the construction of their furniture pieces. I’ve watched contract interior designers get out of $80,000 cars and gross out over having to walk over sawdust in a wood shop and Ive met architects who are so self inflated that their resume includes the fact that they are blood donors.

All of this is of great interest to me as a relative beginner who is seeking direction. It seems there is a lot of insecurity in how these folks define themselves and you have reinforced what I believe that one must be true to one’s self and not let all this other jive get in the way.

I picked the ID program because I want a solid foundation in design skills, materials and production. I also wanted to avoid being an unmarketable “studio furniture” guy who makes 18-foot wavy purple ladderback chairs. To me ergonomics and functionality are aesthecially pleasing and beautiful. Custom fine furniture is what brought me out of the software business and I intend on focusing on this though I think it wise to be adaptable and versitile while building a solid career.