Objectified

Yes.

R

FYI, I have a spare ticket for anyone who may be interested to go to the
Vancouver showing tomorrow night (May 5th).

9:30 show woo :stuck_out_tongue:

Just got my Objectified poster!
Took a month to get here, thought it would never come.
One month until the Portland screening!

At the risk of being a spoiler, my favorite line from the movie was after Jonathon Ive’s long rant about making indicator lights disappear when not being used - then he pauses and comes to the realization: “that’s really quite obsessive, isn’t it?”

That sums up a critical element that makes a great designer. Most people will probably miss that moment in the film, but my daughter gave me an elbow to the kidney because she realized I wasn’t the only overly-obsessive (border-line obsessive-compulsive-disorder) designer.

It’s all about the details…

If he’s doing the Q&A session after his show in your area be sure to ask “If you were a fish, what kind of fish would you be?”

Someone did this at the 6:30 vancouver show. I saw the 9:30 show and he mentioned the previous question, wondering “what the f…k we’re smoking” :laughing:

It’d be funny to see his responses when he gets tired of being asked that

I wonder if he likes fishsticks?

How hard should I push for my boss (not a designer) to see this film?

Ha, I would probably get the same reaction when I watch the movie with my wife.

Yes.

I saw it last night, and was underwhelmed. The director seems to have been exploring his interest in product design, but with no formal design education - from what I could tell - he approached the subject with questions and exploration that was informative on a general level but not ground-breaking in the least. For this reason, I can completely imagine it being shown to 14-15 year olds in Design Tech classes at school (it reminded me of videos we saw), to kindle an interest in design, show how much process goes into designing a potato peeler (although it´s true there wasn´t that much shown of the various stages of product design) and to show more clearly what product design means and how integral it is to daily life. I think interest for professional designers is limited - you can find more inspirational, innovative stuff on Ted, blogs and in magazines in my opinion. Seeing Dieter Rams and Jonathan Ive giving some small insights was worth a look, however. I agree with others above that more input from the user/man or woman on the street, together with material to back up the consensus amongst the interviewees that the product is all about its interaction with the user over time would have given it more depth. Overall, I was left wondering what the film was trying to say.

Thought it was a decent look. Certainly, it made us all look like geeks.

Someone in our audience asked why it had such an American design bias. Did anyone else feel this way?

Someone in our audience asked why it had such an American design bias. Did anyone else feel this way?

Really? I had to do a double take here and check…

Paola Antonelli (Museum of Modern Art, New York)
Chris Bangle (BMW Group, Munich)
Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec (Paris)
Andrew Blauvelt (Walker Art Center, Minneapolis)
Tim Brown (IDEO)
Anthony Dunne (London)
Dan Formosa (Smart Design)
Naoto Fukasawa (Tokyo)
Jonathan Ive (Apple, California)
Hella Jongerius (Rotterdam)
David Kelley (IDEO)
Bill Moggridge (IDEO)
Marc Newson (London/Paris)
Fiona Raby (London)
Dieter Rams (Kronberg, Germany)
Karim Rashid (New York)
Alice Rawsthorn (International Herald Tribune)
Davin Stowell (Smart Design)
Jane Fulton Suri (IDEO)
Rob Walker (New York Times Magazine)

Pretty varied mix I’d say! Nearly as many English as there are Americans. In fact I think he’s done a good job of not showing any American bias at all.

How did he respond to the question?

He responded in two ways:

1. He’s American

2. His process is organic, so he talked to people that were suggested to him.

One thing he did note was how many designers working in the US are Brits. Take Bill Moggridge and Jonathan Ive as examples. Then you have Chris Bangle, an American working for a German company. Are BMWs German design? American? Something else?

I thought it was well balanced too, but I’m an American designer. I think Canadian education is more euro-centric, so the students think design only happens in Turin.

I saw it here in San Diego on Friday.

This is a film for the converted, but not the movie we need aimed at educating and converting the non believers. I would prefer to watch a season of the (now cancelled?) TV show “iDesign” as it gives a more rounded and diverse perspective on product design.

If I want to educate my peers, I would pull out the Nightline special covering IDEO’s shopping-cart project over this.
Too bad, because I’m sick of that damned Nightline report.

I would buy the poster though.

Saw it in LA on Thursday. I enjoyed it. Wish it had a much wider release, the people who should see this are consumers more so than designers.

Saw it in June, (at a SCAD Premier) It was Fantastic and Inspiring.

I pre-ordered the dvd and was supposed to get it last weekend, but they had a manufacturing problem with the free “tote” bag that came with it and it has been delayed until 11th of October

Kinda sucks as i diddnt want the bag anyway but now i have to wait because of it :imp:

DVD still hasn’t come :frowning:

I was also disappointed that Objectified’s DVD release got delayed, so I went ahead to search for it on Youtube. Only parts of it are uploaded, but it’s all gold.

I remembered working on similar aluminum bezels before. They feel surreal to hold in your hands at first as they can be incredibly accurate and feel super light. I might also add that the cost to make something like that also contributed to the surrealism.

I agree with Rob. Our civilization have been trained to buy into the “new”. Industries (especially the fashion industry) invented trends to sort of keep people constantly in buying mode. On the other hand, this system is what keeps our economy going and get us fed. I think as designers and citizens of the world, we have a responsibility in making sure that whatever we do moves us forward.

Someone who don’t know Karim might mistaken him as the super villain of the film.