Nylon vs. Polyester

Can anyone tell me where to find some information (or can just tell me) about the pros and cons of Nylon vs Polyester fabric? I’m specifically asking about the fabric that would be used for bags.

Thanks in advance.

Nylon: Expensive, extremely durable due to molecular bond of Nylon, high burst tear threshold/high Stoll Rating, lighter weight

Polyester: inexpensive, on its own not as durable as Nylon, often has directional tear, Hydrophobic, tends to be more heat sensitive/wrinkles easily, heavier per sq yard, tends to have some stretch to it

Polyesters tend to have a type of substrate bonding to make them stronger and more tear resistant: for example: single/double Polyutrethane coat, Single/double/triple PVC coat, 25%/50%/75% Recycled PVC coat etc.

For example: a comparison of like Dernier 800D Ballistic Nylon vs 800D Ballistic Poly Double PU coat–the Poly will be ALOT cheaper and its burst/tear will be the same as the nylon. BUT the abrasion reistance of the Nylon will be far superior and the Nylon will be far more flexible and lighter, with no substrate.

Nylon is also much more difficult to recycle than polyester. Many city recycling programs simply cannot manage nylon. As industries try to develop more green manufacturing processes, finding new ways to produce a more durable polyester (which can be made from corn-based plastic) is a valuable endeavor, and scores high points on the environmental front.

good point and valuable info.

it actually takes more 5x more energy to make a corn based polyester than it does to reuse a recycled polyester based on current a near future trends in production techniques.

Recyled polyester while being very green and fairly inexpensive requires a substrate to prevent it from tearing especially during stitching so when you get a “Recycled Poly” materials it usually is a blend with a certain percentage recyled polyester with either “new fiber” and or other recycled filler such as PVC(which is not green by any stretch …but is recycleable)

Polyester is also more U.V. stable. Tents are a great way to look at the differences in these materials performance. Various outdoor equipment brands will argue both ways for the materials used in their tents.
Polyester has a different feel about it as well. I like to use nylon (1000D) when making bags because of this and the look is different too. Nylon is less shiny.

Polyester is also more U.V. stable. Tents are a great way to look at the differences in these materials performance. Various outdoor equipment brands will argue both ways for the materials used in their tents.
Polyester has a different feel about it as well. I like to use nylon (1000D) when making bags because of this and the look is different too. Nylon is less shiny.