Noob question: Core77 and Coroflot

How come there are separate logins for the two sites? Just wondering as I was trying to log into coroflot under my core77 username. I forgot I’d created a different name since it doesn’t allow for special characters. Figure it’d have something to do with integrating phpBB’s user DB. Did core77 come first or coroflot? I’m so glad I found a site like this, and am just wondering how it all came to fruition. :slight_smile:

both my logins and passwords are the same for coroflot and core77 forums

I’ve wondered this myself, I think the two were separate sites, maybe still are?

Different software and coding is required to run each separate site

makes sense that the user setup that is built into each site’s coding would require a new name

Basically there are three different sites;

Core77 design Blog
Core77 Forums
Coroflot portfolio Archive/Gallery/etc

all are way different to create

just think about how different they visually appear, are set up, how you interact with them, their purpose, user interaction versus non user interaction, gallery versus non gallery

same “owners” for all three sites if I’m correct

its the difference from an image file, video file, and a zip file.

if you go out there and buy a domain… eg; DesignDesign.com
you can turn it into a blog, forum, storefront, etc, etc, or a combination of all of the above. each different section of your domain, your blog section, or your storefront section, requires different coding, all readily available online

Correct:

Core77 and Coroflot (and Designdirectory) are all a part of the Core77 Design Network, which means they are run by some of the same people. I’m the editorial director at Coroflot, for example, but also write occasional content for the Core77 blog; much of the coding and design of the three sites is done by the same team as well.

A lot of Core77 readers are also Coroflot members, and vice versa, but a lot aren’t, and in fact I regularly run into people who’ve had portfolios up on Coroflot for years but haven’t even heard of Core77. So yes, the user databases are completely separate, and don’t link to each other, though a lot of registered members on the Core discussion boards include links to their Coroflot portfolios in their member files, which strikes us as a really good idea, but certainly isn’t required.

The history goes like this:

Core77 started out 14 years ago (!) as an online magazine and resource for designers. (If you haven’t read it yet, there’s a great interview on Designglut with Allan Chochinov, who explains a little bit of the backstory, and how the community has grown since then. It’s a fascinating read).

The job board, which was part of Core77, came shortly thereafter, and became large enough and successful enough to split off and become Coroflot, adding portfolio-hosting in the process – that was about 10 years ago, making it the longest-running portfolio site in the world by far.

Meanwhile, back on Core, discussion boards were added, flame wars erupted, and ufo and Deez generated pithy rants that shook the community to its very foundations. It’s actually kind of fun to go back through the Memberlist and see who’s still around from the establishment of most recent version of the discussion board in 2004 – some of the most prolific posters are right there at the beginning, and still going strong (yo, for instance, who’s up to 6000+ posts at this point).

The latest twist in all this is that Coroflot is now building its own discussion-based community, via the member updates and image Comments. It’s different from what happens here on the boards, but the Comments in particular are lately starting to yield some interesting back-and-forth.

If you haven’t checked these out, you can go to the Member Gallery section and click “Most Commented,” then take a look at the images with the most activity. So far it’s largely members saying how much they like a particular image, but every now and then it’ll erupt into a discussion of techniques, suggestions for alternate versions, etc, akin to what you’ll see over on Flickr amongst the serious photographers. A little unexpected, but very welcome – this is exactly the sort of thing that’s made Core77 such a strong community, and we’re eager to encourage it.

Hope that answers your questions, and if you’ve got any suggestions or want to know more, let me know.