No internship... Now what?

So, Ive done it! I graduated, with honors, and a study abroad program! But alas, no in house internships. What should I do now? Should I pursue an internship… Maybe I have what it takes to do freelance? I’m not sure!

Feel Free to check out my Coroflot: http://www.coroflot.com/carldesign What do you think?

Boy am I nervous about this lame economy!

Boy am I nervous about this lame economy! What do you think?

I think I’m nervous about this lame economy too… … . .

Freelance, internships, full time ID, part time ID. It will take a whole lot of hard work. A degree means nothing.

Maybe I have what it takes to do freelance?

Quite easy to work out if you’re up to standard. A few searches on Coroflot will be able to tell you what companies look for, should answer all your questions.

Hmm, sounds like I didn’t make my original post very clear.

Through out my school, I didn’t land any internships. Now that I have graduated, which direction should i dedicate myself to, Freelance OR the internship?

Much obliged!

Even those of us with jobs are nervous about this economy.

I am a SCAD grad too and I have to say if there is any criticism I would give to that school it would be that they do not have a mandatory internship program but that does not mean you are screwed. My advice is to take what you can get. Any experience is good experience and do not limit yourself to consumer products. If you are offered graphic or CAD work, take it. It will keep you fresh and pay the bills.

Post grad internships are always good. You can get started and maybe even be hired later. Also, I think post grads seem to have a bit more responsibility than those who are still in school.

D.

Through out my school, I didn’t land any internships. Now that I have graduated, which direction should i dedicate myself to, Freelance OR the internship?

Don’t JUST look for internships.

Look for everything, like I had mentioned above.

If you’re totally set on finding an internship, you just may miss out on a full-time position because you thought you weren’t good enough, or because you JUST wanted that internship.

Here is what you want… in order…

1. fulltime ID
  2. part time ID
  3. internship
  4. freelance

I list freelance as last because its the school of hard knocks. You can do it, but you will learn much more working “in the business” with people, rather than alone and scratching your head.

Taylor…I dont mean to contradict you on your last comment. I totatlly agree with you list, but Carl, there are some freelance gigs that are on site at a consultancy or corporation that could turn out hot. Some time this is refered to as contracting.

D.

I agree with the above, but the one thing I would encouage you to do as well is take smeall freelance work while you are looking. Take the stuff that no one else wants, or that may even be outside of ID. This not only keeps you working and keeps your moral up, but you can also start to develope a relationship with the client and you never know what that might land you.

I agree with the above, but the one thing I would encouage you to do as well is take smeall freelance work while you are looking. Take the stuff that no one else wants, or that may even be outside of ID. This not only keeps you working and keeps your moral up, but you can also start to develope a relationship with the client and you never know what that might land you.

Exactly what I did right out of college. Great advice. The “most ideal” is also not the most likely to occur, so this is why this route is such a great route.

Taylor…I dont mean to contradict you on your last comment. I totatlly agree with you list, but Carl, there are some freelance gigs that are on site at a consultancy or corporation that could turn out hot. Some time this is refered to as contracting.

Essentially what I mean about “part time”, but I should have clarified. But yes, we’re talking about the same things here. Freelance in-house is also an excellent option.

Do you have an emailable pdf version of your portfolio or are you just emailing a link to your coroflot? Looking through your coroflot there’s not much of a story surrounding your projects, there’s a lot of finalised renders but not enough sketches and work showing the process of how you arrived at these solutions. The way you’ve portioned everything off is a little disjointed, separating everything into “Renders” “Design Methodology”, “Sketches”, “Projects” makes the design process seem fractured, show how one relates to the other. Unless you’re looking for a CAD jockey type position you may want to retool your presentation of your work to highlight your problem solving abilities.

Yeah, i definitely see what you mean. Fortunately I do have a separate PDF that I will be sending out in the mean time.

And these…

Play that vtech project up big. I remember talking to Tom and I hear you guy did a trip to China for that. That is a big deal and should be more than what you are showing there. You may have more than what we see here, but that should be a big piece of you portfolio.

I am not sure, but are you posting to get your work critiqued or position yourself on the market?

If it is the former, I would recommend to scrap the vtech project.
I feels completely behind the curve. It seems problematic that somebody would carry (and buy) a laptop sized device for the sole purpose of social networking around when there is the iphone/bberry and what have you around today.

maybe put something into the portfolio that shows your hands on skills. Maybe model making, wood work, ceramic?
Right now your portfolio reads very stiff.
Also I am missing exploded views, material call outs and research.

In terms of freelance or internship I second basically everybody else here. Take what you can get!
If you can make a buck freelancing, which is hard enough, then by all means do it!!
Internships are great to get a foot into the business, or course.

good luck.

edit: I just read PackageID comment about vtech… I do however stick with mine.

Hahahah,

It’s good to have a bit of disagreement in these forums. I will be honest and say that I did not look at the project in full detail. My comment were that there are going to be very few new grads that have studied abroad in China. And given the amount of work that is going to China and the amount of interaction that I would go as far and say 90% of us have with them, this is a huge advantage for you. Regardless of what the project was, I would still play up the fact that you were there and show what you learned and what you did.

My two cents…

package,
yeah, I can see your point. Being able to have a link to china can be very valuable.
However, if the project is not super strong it will not matter much.
The project is what counts and has to convince.

I think a lot of students and recent grads think that their projects ended with their final presentation in school.
I have not one project that is in my portfolio the way I presented it at my final critique in class.
It is important that the projects in the portfolio are up to date with the current skill set.
This might mean a new model, new illustrations, re-renders.

Package: I sort of know what you are talking about, I guess I would include some pictures of the trip, or include a picture of the presentation to the Design Director of VTech

Bepster: I hear you on the ammending the work. That project is in desperate need of re-rendering (And redesigning!). I know and HAVE done better

As to the inclusion of exploded views and the like, I have that kind of work, but don’t you think that that direction would take me a bit away from the actual design and towards the engineering aspects of the trade?

I suppose that in these tough times, I should be working to get whatever I can.

OH, and thank you all very much for all of your great advice! I appreciate it all!

This I agree with. I have also re done all of my college work to reflect the designer I am today. So my advice is that if the vtech project is not up to par than update it so it is. This will make sure that you will have a strong piece.