Nike videogame shoes to real shoes

I thought some here might find my latest blog entry of interest since I’m guessing we have a few shoe design fans here who are also into videogames.

Nike’s Explore team had us do some visualizations and illustrations around this idea a couple years ago. We thought the idea was dead and going nowhere.

Are you inhouse or an outside consulting firm? And can you give me some more specifics? Thanks.

Outside. No, probably already said too much. But if they follow through on the the evolutions of this idea it is crazy cool.

I suspect what you’re saying is that they hope/intend to allow players to create their own shoe designs ingame using the Nike iD interface, and when/if the patch for the game to allow that comes along, then the game content itself is updated thereafter via the same streaming methods that allow streaming ingame advertising (e.g. Massive).

This shouldn’t be hard to implement. A range of basic shoe models could be built into the game from day one and assigned a generic name. Each model has an associated UV map. When Nike or some other company has a new shoe design, they associate that with one of the generic models and generate a new UV map (or “skin”). This then gets streamed to the game. But in addition, that skin carries a “tag” - a code fragment. So say that when the real shoes are announced for sale in the real world, the virtual shoe code could be released so gamers can use that virtual model ingame.

For example:

Generic polygon model Code Main Fragment: 344566543
New shoe design skin: adfa433

Code to unlock the content: 344566543-adfa433

Next year’s shoe design using the same basic platform comes along and you get a new code frag: akea597

New product code to unlock updated content: 344566543-akea597

And if this idea isn’t patented or in the clear, consider this now open source.

That’s the simple behind the scenes stuff. Think more consumer-centric. What would they want? That is the big opportunity.

I thought that was obvious. “I suspect what you’re saying is that they hope/intend to allow players to create their own shoe designs ingame using the Nike iD interface”. If they’re hooking up with the real Nike iD interface/website instead of the facsimile in the game, then they can order their own custom-designed shoes. This is basically the same as how Everquest incorporated ordering pizza from Pizza Hut (link). Or are players going to be able to model the soles in 3D? That level of customization is the only thing I see missing atm.