Nike Pro Combat Trainer *updated*

I started this project several weeks ago and am now approaching the final week of the project. I want to continue working on this piece after the due date so any feedback or comments generated on how to improve on the idea, style, technique etc… are greatly appreciated.

I am still working on developing the Shell of the trainer as well as the soles of both the shell and inner boots

Nike Pro Combat Trainer?

The idea behind this trainer I am designing is to help reduce injuries among athletes during training. Being an athlete myself I have had plenty of experiences with foot and knee injuries over the years and felt this was an issue I needed to try and address. The concept is fairly simple and stems from a snowboarding boot. In each snowboarding boot you have a liner and a shell to help provide the added stability and comfort while riding. I thought “Why not incorporate this concept into a trainer for athletes?” The Nike Pro Combat Trainer is a two part system, an inner and a shell. The inner will proved additional support (more than just a typical sock) in the areas which are prone to injury during fast agile movements. The shell will then provide additional support and the stability and traction an athlete needs to train in.

Inner Boots and Innovation?

The concept behind the inner boot is to make use of Nike’s innovation in technology and material while providing a lightweight “boot” that can be worn with or without the shell. Taking notice to how the body functions through exercise I have decided to also incorporate a gel strapping system. This gel strap is to closely resemble a ligament or muscle in its function and movement.

Additional technology used:

• Nike Flywire
    Dri-FIT™
    Pro Combat Deflex

The idea is that the athlete has the added lateral support to help reduce the risk of ankle roll when making cuts or more agile movement. The flywire provides added support to the arch and top of the foot (both dorsal and planter) The gel strap incorporates Nike Flywire to act as striations within the muscle (gel strap) to wrap around the achilles tendon to provide added support and compression. The sole uses small impact pods (similar to Nike Pro combat Line) to provide minimal cushioning to the liner to help with the lateral support and padding. Lastly Dri-FIT™ is used throughout the liner to keep the foot dry.

The inner boots can also be worn without the shell when an athlete is traveling as opposed to socks and sandals.

• Added akle support is provided in the “high top” version of the inner boot.

The Renderings below show the inner boots tailored to one of Nike’s Pro Combat teams : Florida State Seminoles

The renders look super nice… but my general philosophy is less is more. The more material you put around he foot, the less it can behave the way it is meant to. The shoe should enable the body, not restrain it. Also, the flywire does not stretch, so you sock has not fit adjustment.

Thanks for the input Yo.

You bring up some very good points about the flywire and keeping it simple. I looked a bit more into the flywire tech and noticed that they are incorporating a high tenacity yarn into the new Nike Pro Combat uniforms, so perhaps this can be a valid substitution for the flywire?

As far as the simplicity I may try and tone it down on the inner, the shadows and highlights. I was thinking about it being a thin layered compression mesh. The bulk of the inner will more than likely come from the gel “ligament”

I really wanna keep it simple on the upper and throughout the sole to really showcase the inner boot.

Like you mentioned Yo I would really like to make this trainer an extension of the foot rather than just a shoe… After all the most important thing is the foot itself right?

Yes, check out that apparel and see how it moves. The flywire is not breathable unless you break up the welded coating as on some of the newer shoes, it works on the shoe with the sock as a barrier, but you might not want it against your foot.

Play with the rendering style, it is so hard to get these things to read as soft.

Thanks for the input Yo.

I have been looking into their Compression v.s Fitted gear to see which I think would be most appropriate for the inner. I have played a bit with the styles and also completed the sole of the liner (very very simple)

Below are a refined version of the inner boots (tried to smooth them out) as Yo suggested with the sole of them, maintaining a honey comb pattern like the Nike Pro Combat gear.

Shell Design (Upper+Sole)

I have begun developing the shell (upper and sole) of the shoe (not completed in attachment). I want to keep it simple and try not to stray away with something super space age and completely different from the inner boot. The blue section in the heel I have toyed with the idea of being a clear (similar to the Adidas F50i and the Jordan 2010) and I would like the Flywire to mimic the same pattern as the HT yarn on the inner.

The sole needs to have a “bubble roll” (not sure the technical term) in the back similar to a tennis/Basketball shoe instead of being flat to help with stability and cushioning… As far as the back of the sole is concerned I am a bit lost… I don’t just want to slap an air bubble on it and call it done, in fact I want to stay away from a bubble at all costs.

With this design I don’t necessarily want to play it safe but at the same time I want it to be very simple where almost every design element has a purpose, not something just thrown on to look good.

Below is a “ghosted” view of the shell design I have started and how each liner fits…

Any additional input, feedback, or suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you Yo for your advice so far, it has really helped out, especially the information about the Flywire, and thank you TH for the Illustrator tips

Just realized that the Swoosh on the sole is backwards, right?

Swoosh always points to the heel. I threw down some thoughts for you, but having trouble uploading them from where I am in China, will try to get them up soon.

MD

Good to know on the Swoosh, Also I believe I have seen it mentioned before and I have taken notice, only one Swoosh per view right?

Thank you for taking the time to sketch out some thoughts, I really appreciate it. Ive attached a start to a newer concept to an outer… My biggest thing to over come are the heel and laces… Whether its on paper or on computer I cant seem to be able to visually see it or sketch it the way I want.

Thanks for taking an interest and the feedback so far MD.

You already got some of the stuff I was going to tell you. Here is a quick look. IMPORTANT, this is just a quick thought meant to get you thinking a bit differently, take it and run with it, go somewhere else with it, it’s not a prescription by any means.

I am definitely going to run with it. That looks much sleeker, aggressive, and fast.

Great guide, thank you.

I took what you suggested Yo and kind of ran with it. So far I am pleased with how it has turned out, however I am torn about the Zoom air bubble since it did look pretty good with it but then again I’m not sure if it is that necessary.

Key Features (Shell):
-Sidewall protection to help with additional support when making agile moves, inspired by the Air Zoom Tennis Trainer

-Extended toe guard/tip overlay inspired by the Air Zoom Vapor Jet Football Cleats

-Mesh Swoosh cut out to view inner boot (could possible be plastic? similar to Jordan 2010)

-Flywire Heel and Initial Lace to help lock foot in place

Overall I am pleased, After looking at my inner boot I feel that it may need to be redone to fit properly…If that is the case that may have to come after the project is due (Thursday due to time constraints) as I plan on working on it over the holidays to get a very solid portfolio piece.

As far as the mesh swoosh is concerned I am thinking I may need to switch the swoosh position on the inner so it either reads better through the mesh or is in a different location.

Attached is the linework, a flat colorway sample and two ghosted views with the liners.

Thoughts?

The image below shows the lateral side of the shell with an air bubble in the heel.

Why did it get so complicated?

Have you thought about reducing the overall weight? There is a lot of components that could be simplified.
You have the shell + the inner boot… :open_mouth: Do they both have flywire? Is there a need?
I think the the shell design could be simplified and minimal in design since the main innovation you designed is within the design
of the inner sock, if im right?
Maybe the inner boot could be designed to become the actual shoe without the need of an extra shell, That what i thought you were going for :slight_smile:

Well, I decided to run with an idea and it seemed to turn out more like a shoe than a “shell” In the mean time I have reworked the liners and have thought about literally creating just a “shell” but I feel there will be problems towards the heel for a tight fit.

You bring up a good point flight. Weight is a huge factor in this and all training/running shoes. The flywire is actually only on the outer shell on the inside is a high tenacity yarn similar to the yarn used on the Nike Pro Combat football uniforms.

Ill post of some slight revisions to both the liner concept and the shell concept with a more minimalist approach for review.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I seemed to have taken a step back instead of forward with this one :confused:

Many track spikes use zippers and many jackets have double sided zippers perhaps the liner zips up similar to a track spike and then zips in to the shell?

I’m going to play around with it a bit.

Essentially the idea of the liner is not only to provided added support but it also acts as the insole as well (something I should have explained earlier). The liner will have a similar thickness as a SmartWool or Compression Hiking Sock.

Updated Liner

This updated liner will be made of a compression mesh utilizing Nike’s Dri-Fit technology and will also be have the same padding on the sole as before (Nike Pro Dual Density Foam Cells). Exchanging the flywire for a high tenacity yarn will still provide the added strength and support in certain areas and will allow for movement and reduced weight. A stretchable reinforced (cross woven HT yarn) woven twill is added to the toe and lateral to provided added support.

The previous idea I had was to create a stylish trainer while addressing the weight, support, and comfort needs. The concepts below take the same concept and strip it down. They may be a little blue sky, but its worth a shot.

Skin Concept

The concept below allows the liner to slip in and zip up similar to a track spike (ex. Nike Air Zoom Aerofly). Fly wire is added to the heel section for added support and the toe cap allows the liner to fit snug in the front. The sole is made of Lunar Lite Foam, reducing weight and adding comfort.

Shell Concept

The second concept uses similar technology such as Lunar Lite and Flywire to help reduce weight, add support and comfort. The Liner would slip into the “shell” and would zip into place (similar to old school roller skates). Additional support may be added with laces.

\

Yo,

Was the previous version too much aesthetically?

I still think this could get visually more simple, the arch area is bothering me a lot.

Make sure you check out some of these:
am9063.jpg
am9058.jpg

Ok, so something like the sparq trainer/ free as opposed to the Shox/ Pegasus ?

I still like the initial shape and feel of the complicated one… I think what’s over complicating it is the over the top sole and some other elements…

I feel with the technology the concept is feasible, I just worry about proportion and making it too simple[/]…