New York schools - SVA, Pratt, et al.

Similar to the Chicago person’s thread, I’m looking into schools in my area and I wanted to know what people’s opinions were of SVA, Pratt, Parsons, NYU, Cooper, etc.

Right now, I’m just thinking of taking a few continuing ed. classes at SVA (one in graphic design dept., and one in illustr. & cartooning dept.) and down the road pursue a master’s in computer arts. Anyone here attend or have taken classes at SVA? Any teachers I should avoid or look for? Thoughts on the other NY schools? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

SVA is a good school but it can be also a ‘dry’ experience for some due to
its limited size campus and old buildings that are scattered apart from eachother. You have to run to another building which can take you up to 30 mins., if your schedules are not in geographic order.
Computer Art dept. in undergraduate is keep getting better but when I was there, teachers were out of reach because of too many #s of students. After the graduation, only few # of students found the job in the field. Its Grad in Comp Art were more related to Fine Art, not for studio or marketing.
Its illustration and cartoon depts are good, and especially the illustration dept were doing very good jobs. They promoted the students’ works and #s of students were fine. I’m not sure of its graphic design dept, but in my opinion, try Parsons instead. NYU has very good continuing ed programs also, so try to take some from there to see the differences from the Art schools.
If you can get into the Cooper, please go. It is well known school and has good programs. Plus its free. You can go there and take weekend classes at SVA, Parsons or etc.
Pratt is currently where I am. I chose the school because of its ID program. Even though I know it’s not the best in the Nation,but it was the best choice for me to keep staying in NYC and earn $ and attend the program at the same time. The city is full of opertunities and if you like that, Pratt or other art schools can be the one. I would not take illustration, fine arts, graphic designs at Pratt. I saw and heard better things from Parsons, SVA and Cooper.
Keep searching for more infos, but the most important thing is go visit and experience yourself and see if the environment is for you.

I would definitely have to agree with New Pratt Kid. I think that’s an extremely accurate assessment of the New York schools and by all means if you can get into Cooper, go. Just remember also, that no program is perfect and that the most important factor is where you feel the most comfortable.

pay me 30,000 dollars a year and i’ll @$$ your face! :laughing:

I agree on how expensive the art schools can be -especially those in NYC.
But the schools also give out lots scholarships.
In SVA, about 30% students recieved some financial backup grants from the school, and it is not possible to get 100% free tuition sholarships if you try very hard on your portfolio.
If you are in high school junior, try SVA with early decision application and send Silas H. Rhode scholarship application with it. Who knows it sure happends.
So, don’t be too negetive about how much the college cost.
You should more think about how much of adventage that you will recieve.

From your other post, it looks like you already know Martin Skalski, which means you could be a student or alumni or maybe a teacher from Pratt Institute. If you are a students or once was, that means you did also paid that much $$. So don’t be too negetive about someone only because they pay $30000 a year. Lots of them work hard to pay that $$ because their dreams are larger than that.

:blush:

I think you must be the right person ask:

I do not have prior experience in ID.

-What are the skills/aptitude that a prospective ID student should have?
-At Pratt, do they specialize on unique areas or is it just a broad education of ID?
-Did you know which area to specialize in when you joined the school?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks!

I’m also a struggling student. I do not know most of things about ID field. All I know is probably a surface level.
However, in Pratt, the education is focused at broad view of ID.–Environmental design, table tops, general Product design (hard and soft), toy, transportation, furniture, research and analysis of markets, and the manufacture process.
Students here have all different backgrounds from business to science to other art fields. The most important thing for ID is probably your creativeness. School and field ppl want us to draw really well and use computer really well, and also I heard your charateristic is very most important to be considered in both school and job.
Less ego (but some ego is good I think), hard work, passion, and love of arts will do.
Hey, I hope you get in and be a good edition to our program.
Good luck to you.

PS. Don’t expect too much from the school. (i’m saying this cuz i heard many times from others that Pratt sucks.) The school doen’t make you into something else that you are not. you are already who you are and than the school add more things to you. So, the point is… read books while you are not in school, practice drawings every single moment and talk to ppl who are in the field and learn good things from them and abandon bad things.

I’m also a struggling student. I do not know most of things about ID field. All I know is probably a surface level.
However, in Pratt, the education is focused at broad view of ID.–Environmental design, table tops, general Product design (hard and soft), toy, transportation, furniture, research and analysis of markets, and the manufacture process.
Students here have all different backgrounds from business to science to other art fields. The most important thing for ID is probably your creativeness. School and field ppl want us to draw really well and use computer really well, and also I heard your charateristic is very most important to be considered in both school and job.
Less ego (but some ego is good I think), hard work, passion, and love of arts will do.
Hey, I hope you get in and be a good edition to our program.
Good luck to you.

PS. Don’t expect too much from the school. (i’m saying this cuz i heard many times from others that Pratt sucks.) The school doen’t make you into something else that you are not. you are already who you are and than the school add more things to you. So, the point is… read books while you are not in school, practice drawings every single moment and talk to ppl who are in the field and learn good things from them and abandon bad things.

Thanks for the detailed note.

• However, could you elaborate on the term ‘draw’? - What kind of drawing?
  • One does have to be a good artist, right?
  • And what about the expertise level in Math and physics?
  • How much do you know about the career? Is it lucrative?
  • However, could you elaborate on the term ‘draw’? - What kind of drawing?

Good drawing in ID will be fast and accurate concept drawing to colored sketch that shows what the product will be like to the clients. Basically that can represent shape, color and light easily and simply, yet accurately.
Concept drawings share some similarities that you can find in other people’s portfolio sites, but it can also be expressive and personal.
Other good drawings will be assembly drawing without using computer help.
It won’t be as accurate as computer but the idea is to create parts and how things will be put together as a rough sketches.

• One does have to be a good artist, right?
    Designers are good artists I think. Although there are many different tasks as industrial designers, one should be creative in some sense and innovative and artistic. Designers are the one who inspire people with their arts. Visual, sound, light, even any other ways.
    IDesigners are those who will inspire consumers so they will love to buy items from the shelf and be happy everafter.

• And what about the expertise level in Math and physics?
    I guess any other talents that you have will be plus to be a good designer.
    If you are good at math and science, it will be so much help to those companies that requires such talent. Most of products are engeenired and it uses math and physics. I think you will be very good designer with additional knowlege. for an example, if you are a good skateboarder, you know much more than others who don’t skateboard, thus you have higher chance to introduce better skateboard designs.

• How much do you know about the career? Is it lucrative?
    Not sure how it willbe. As I told you that I’m also a student in the field, but I do researchs as you do. Gathered informations are powerful.
    ID field is promissing for myself at list. I would love to live mylife that way.
    I’m a simple but complicated person in the head who make stuff all the time and draw all the time. Sort of a freak to others who don’t care about arts.

I’m pretty much interested in cooper union, sva and parson
and I’m going to apply for master in multimedia design or the like.
what would you say about these three schools with respect to quality of multimedia education new pratt kid?

Thanks a lot New Pratt Kid for the invaluable text!

I’m not sure of Cooper even has a multimedia. But I know some people graduated with graphic design major, and later on working as a sort of
digital designers. Please Call the school and ask what multimedia they teach.
SVA has ok computer major when I was there. The students who graduated
around three yrs ago now all working in multimedia fields.
But the inner major within computer graphics devided into: Web design, Digital Video and Editing, 2D computer graphics and 3D computer graphics.
I think most of students studied the web and few majored in 3D.
People who did web found job easily, digital video seem to be making most money and for 3D animation, I only knew one guy who did a part of X-man movie after he graduated and the rest… I don’t know.
I heard that Parson is ok also, but I’m not sure. I heard more good stories about SVA than Parsons about the computer graphics.
I lost my interest in computer graphics due to overly academical education from SVA. (but now I regret that I was too childish and gave up learn more)
If you can get into cooper, I would recommend to go there, but it will be very very difficult to get in and get out. They concern much more on SAT than other schools and very strong fine art skills on every art majors.
Which means very strong paintings and drawings. Also conceptual and finished looks. Those are what I had observed so far. I attended private after school art academy for three-four years during my high school time, and I have seen the works that brought these kids to various schools including Cooper Union. Matter of fact, the teacher also graduated from Cooper, and I was also accepted to it. Only problem was…SVA had better Computer classes and Computers(silicon graphics at that time, now mac and pc can do same thing)

About design schools in NYC. Most bank on their location and charge accordingly. I would visit the schools and see what feels right for you because you are going to be spending a ton of time there during your program. As with most schools, your education is what you make of it. You will find at any of these schools that many of the students are just there to hang out in New York and not to focus on learning. Certainly NYC is educational and inspiring in and of itself, but art school is a ton of work if you plan to make a living at it after your done.

Personally I went to Pratt ID and don’t regret it. Relaxed campus in Brooklyn and a diverse faculty that gives you a good sense of this bizarre industry. Not very career focused, but a good education. Many schools try to package you in an industry mold to make sure that you get hired immediately after graduation, so they look good. Pratt is more open than that with a broader education, but it requires more of the student to make it happen after school. Definately not the “safe” choice, but worth looking into.