new wacom tablet!!!

Now you’re making me want one! God dammit why do I come to these forums! £800 and it’s just before christmas as well…

Cyberdemon, good points about the pen though, it’s the one thing I’ve never understood, why are tablet pens so bad?? Maybe Wacom could create a notebook tablet for creatives???.. mmmmmmm…

Wow, and this is how products get sold. Just as a reminder… the new 12" Cintiq will be on sale for the reduced price of $1600.

Sign me up the for big guy!

Couldn’t do it for that price yet. I’d agree with the previous post- 15" and 6-800 and I’d be good. I found an article on how you can make your own “cintiq” using your wacom and spare monitor if anyone’s interested.

A jigga what?! Make my own wacom thing-a-jahouba-dube! Come on man man- don’t hold back! 'Cause you know no one here is gonna wait for that 50% off coupon for Wacom.

I did see this one DIY once. Something about turning an overhead projector, old LCD into something like a draw on thing… but I’m a little fuzzy on the details.

No, it’s nothing like that. Get yourself a wacom and used lcd monitor and some other spare parts he outlines. It’s definitely for the tinkerer but your total cost (minus labor) is much lower than a cintiq. I’ve never done much with electronics so I’m not quite brave enough to try it. Maybe someone here will.
http://www.bongofish.co.uk/wacom/wacom_pt1.html

Yeah the Do It Yourself Cintiq is smart but definately not an easy feat to accomplish unless you’ve got some pretty intense soldering skills.

I look at Wacoms as investments for professionals. If you’re serious about design then a good tablet or a Cintiq is an investment that will eventually pay for itself with the skills you develop. Now that I’ve actually gotten to use a Cintiq full time its far faster and more productive to do ideation sketches fully digitally then it would ever be to put it on paper, scan it, clean up the scan, add color, revise it, etc.

The color accuracy is another good + for the Cintiq over the tablet. The color accuracy on the tablet is not very good frankly. I always end up drawing things that look much more vivid and saturated on the tablet but looked washed out when I put them on my PC. The Cintiq has great color reproduction.

really!!! the more i think about this as a product it is hard for me to see the benefit vs. a tablet pc or a cintiq…now i have not had much seat time on a cintiq but the thing that impressed me the most is the sheer size of it, along with the flexibility of the shortcut buttons & nifty swivel/tilt mount. it would seem to me if sensitivity (which is perfectly fine on a tablet pc & can be improved even more with the spring loaded nibs form the intous pen), color accuracy (not the best but nothing an extra monitor can’t fix), shortcuts/touch strips are more appealing than a tablet pc, a cintiq would be the way to go?

the thing probably won’t retail at $1700 here, but i cant see being much cheaper either; a cintiq is $2500. so you would save $800 bucks but you would get substantially less bang for your buck imo. i do not really see the person who would buy this tablet using it as a mobile solution, e.g. caring it around…istill i am curious to see it in action, i am wondering if it could be used in a sort quasi dual-monitor setup. and keeping it all the real, it NEEDS to be wireless!

it’s the one thing I’ve never understood, why are tablet pens so bad??

you can also purchase additional deluxe pens or a classic wacom pen that works on the pablet pc

How do you figure the Cintiq 12WX isn’t portable? My 17" PowerBook G4 has the dimensions of 39.2cm x 26.5cm x 2.59cm, which fits perfectly inside an neoprene INCASE sleeve then fits with extra room inside my Victorinox Fudan messenger bag in the laptop sleeve. The Cintiq 12WX has the dimensions of 40.5cm x 27.0cm x 1.7cm, which are almost the exact same width and length as the 17” PowerBook G4 or new 17” MacBook Pros. This could very easily fit inside the second compartment inside the bag. I’d rather have this on my lap than a heavy over heating tablet, which doesn’t have the same amount of pressure sensitivity levels and resolution built into it stock.

Beauty is all in the eyes of the beholder.

aaccchhh-haaAAa, i did not say that it was not portable. just that, to me anyway, the who, what, & how of this things says to me that that prospective consumer would be better off with a cintiq or tablet pc…i guess the question is: are you really away from a stationary desk that much? i only see this tablet being used at a desk. i do not really see professionals busting this thing out at a presentation or during a meeting, it would be awkward. nor can i see students needing or even wanting to take it to class daily for the same reason…

here is my question, how would you guys use it? the more i think about it $1700 seem like a huge premium for tilt & extra sensitivity when you could get a decent larger tablet pc for that price or get the extra fundage for the daddy cintiq. i’d have a hard time recommending this someone over either…

I see what you’re saying, you’re still docked to a spot while it’s in use. Portability referring to being able to use it on the go (like you can with a tecra) as opposed to transportability? which it definitely has. So if you’re going to be at a computer anyway, do the big cintiq, I got it. Now if this was wireless and you could have a tiny small battery powered mac mini type thing or ultra cheapo laptop in your bag, then the portability (using it on the go) aspect of it increases dramatically! So lets get the next version of this thing out where it’s a full tecra like tablet and the wacom screen is working wirelessly (if possible). Then you use it as a regular tablet pc, or pop off the whole screen for sketch only purposes and keep the laptop in your bag, hmmmm?

A tablet pc/laptop is way better and not just paying for the tablet.

this might be pushing it a bit off topic, but what tablet PCs are you guys using that you can compare it to a dedicated drawing tablet. My history with tablet PCs and drawing tablets lead me to think the tablet is FAR superior.

I agree though, a small tablet PC for work and sketching / touching up (maybe not a ton of heavy duty work) is a lot more portable than a tablet connected to a laptop.

There might be a terminology gap here.

Tablet = Graphire
Tablet PC = Toshiba M7
Tablet Monitor? = Cintiq

Tablet you draw on the tablet and look at the screen. High pressure sensitivity, accuracy and resolution.
Tablet PC you draw on the LCD with “OK” pressure sensitivity, accuracy and resolution
Tablet Monitor you draw on the LCD with High pressure sensitivity, accuracy, and resolution.

The new Tablet Monitor that is being discussed here is a Cintiq quality (high sensitivity and resolution/accuracy) and it can sit on your lap. It is just a smaller screen.

To me…it sounds like a great fit. I can connect it to my tablet pc, desktop, pop it into my laptop bag…boom.

thanks for the definition.

I have never used a cintiq, but have used a tablet and tablet pc. I was curious as to what tablet pcs people thought were better than a tablet but inferior to the cintiq (or perhaps superior to the cintiq) as my experience doesn’t lend me to believe that.

This is of course REALLY dependent on what you are using the tablet / tablet pc / cintiq for. Again if you are doing rough sketches and small touch up then I can see how the tablet and tablet pc could be equal, but beyond that I would think the tablet pc would be the poorest input option of the bunch (the most convenient though)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge proponent of the tablet PC (considering I’m on one right now) but the baby Cintiq is not made as a REPLACEMENT for that product.

One is a COMPUTER and one is a PERHIPHERAL. “Well if I’m spending $1500 wouldn’t I rather have a whole computer?” Not necessarily.

The Toshiba M7 was the last 14" Tablet Toshiba made. Unfortunately they no longer make this model. The only tablets you can now get are 12" unless you go used. Gateway makes 14" tablets but they do not use a Wacom digitizer and are USELESS.

Tablet PC’s also feature lackluster integrated graphics chips, which means unless you’re like me and use it to supplement a powerful desktop, you will STILL need to purchase a machine for CAD work.

The Tablet PC is GREAT as a portable laptop for basic needs, and Alias Sketchbook doodles. It is not a supplement for a workstation or a Cintiq. For the money I’d much rather supplement a Macbook Pro with the small Cintiq. Not only do you have the benefit of a dual platform PC/Mac machine capable of doing CAD work, but you have dual screens in a very portable format. You may not carry it to every meeting but you wouldn’t need to.

If you don’t need the advanced features of the Cintiq and can get away without doing CAD on your laptop, then a Tablet PC is the way to go. But this product fills a fairly appropriate niche in the Wacom lineup.

And for people who are concerned about the extra few hundred – remember these are professional tools. In an industry where software costs $20k, a marker set costs $250, and a portfolio CASE costs $100, $1500 for a mini-Cintiq is more than reasonable. Also remember the conversion price when it is released in the US is NOT guaranteed to be that much. It could very well come in for several hundred less.

Hmmmm…I run Pro/e, Solidworks and Rhino on my Toshiba M7. I have had some good sized assemblies (think cell phone with all the eCAD, mech data etc.) running on it without any significant downturn in efficiency.

When did they discontinue the M7? I bought mine about a year ago.

Not sure, I think they discontinued it a couple months ago.

I’ve only tried running Maya on my machine and it had a bunch of graphical issues in hardware shade and the hypershade that kept me from ever wanting to try it again.

I got my m7 about a year ago also with the nvidia graphics card. I’ve had no problems with 3-d apps. Working on a sw model with approx 100 solid bodies, no problems.

Ah…yeah I remember them initially offering a dedicated graphics card but when I purchased mine you could only get the integrated intel chipset. It works for the couple of things but it fails at any kind of gaming and is glitchy in 3D. I never tried it with multiple applications to see how it would work in other programs.

IP: Does yours have the intel integrated video or the Nvidia board?

Now if this was wireless and you could have a tiny small battery powered mac mini type thing or ultra cheapo laptop in your bag, then the portability (using it on the go) aspect of it increases dramatically! So lets get the next version of this thing out where it’s a full tecra like tablet and the wacom screen is working wirelessly (if possible). Then you use it as a regular tablet pc, or pop off the whole screen for sketch only purposes and keep the laptop in your bag, hmmmm?

that would be hot! i believe there was a concept of this very idea in recent years.

And for people who are concerned about the extra few hundred – remember these are professional tools. In an industry where software costs $20k, a marker set costs $250, and a portfolio CASE costs $100, $1500 for a mini-Cintiq is more than reasonable. Also remember the conversion price when it is released in the US is NOT guaranteed to be that much. It could very well come in for several hundred less.

this is exactly my point, if you are going to spend that much money on a monitor; you might as well go with the cintiq. the only thing i have read so far is that you could use with a mac (cintiq) & put in your laptop bag…to take it where? to use it how? you can put in your lap & draw? why would you need to do that (but for a cluttered desk)?

this is not to say that the 12" would not be useful to the person who would buy it; just that i nelieve that you might as well go with the larger of the 2…i think this will do well but it will likely boost cintiq sells as well