Need some career advice.

I was wondering if you experienced designers could help me out or if there was anyone out there that might be in the same situation as me.

I am currently working for a large corporate company doing packaging. I have been here for about 3 years and thinking of moving on to greener pastures. This is mostly due to me becoming the “Design Guy” in a large company that doesn’t seem to embrace design. (There are only 2 of us in the whole company) Because of this I don’t really have any real start to finish design projects. I have learned many great skills here such as 3DS Max, International business, Manufacturing process of pkg, etc…But I don’t feel that I may have enough stuff to put in my portfolio and that it is still going to be filled with college projects. This scares me as it might not look like I have a lot of experience and could make it very difficult to find a job.

Do I fill my portfolio full of renderings and half finished projects. If not how do I attack this situation.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Have you thought about doing some freelance work to help vary the projects in your portfolio? My day job (corporate) has been the same for the last 10 years, but my freelance work makes it look like I’ve been working for a design consultancy.

Sometimes you need to shake it up on your own instead of doing it at work.

Good luck.

yea, thats good.
or at least flesh out the rest of the process on what you do at work, to show how it’d be different if you did the entire shebang.

obviusly, fill your portfolio with what you have. Make sure it’s presentable. Unfinished projects are normal throughout all industries. People you may show to won’t know it, but it is ok to describe your involvement with the project and then point out that unfortunately the company decided not to take it to production.

If you do not have freelance work consider finishing some of your unfinished packaging projects, you’ve already started them and probably feel how they should have been finished if it were up to you…

Thanks for the advice. I will keep you all posted an put up some of my portfolio images for you guys to look at.