Need help with thesis topic about sports injury

Hei guys, I am a ID grad student and about to start my thesis topic.
I am focusing sports injury. Instead of redesigning the protective gears, I want to focusing on either real-time diagnosis or rehabilitation process. I personally experienced couple severe sports injury (such as ACL torn). The problem for me is I don’t know where I injured and how seriously I injured. This may cause second-time injury. The other problem is that rehabilitation equipment are really not comfortable. Meanwhile, it takes forever and I have to go to physical therapy to know how well I recovered. I think there are many opportunities for me to explore in those areas.

I am not sure it is a strong issue worth I working on for the next 1.5 years. Can you guys tell me what you think? or any insights, potentially problems that you can think of?

Thesis Statement as following:
Sports-related injuries become a more important health issue as the number of people involved in sports activities increases. Despite enhanced protective sports equipment to help prevent the occurrence of injury and improved imagery technology to diagnose the injury, athletes are still exposed to the risk of repetitive injuries, shortage to real-time diagnosis, and extended and complicated rehabilitation processes. Mentally, athletes also suffer from trauma caused by severe injuries, which stop them from reach the same level of performance as before. Therefore, a better treatment and recovery process, including the pre-injury preparation, developed diagnosis method, mental and physical rehabilitation, can help athletes or anyone who play sports recover from the injuries and “get on the playing field”.

Thanks

Your subject is too broad and you are too vague in defining the problem. Your solution will be meaningless.

Focus.

In the area of injury recovery, have you heard of cryo-compression therapy? If you were to choose this specific area of focus, you will have to advance the technology, its application and the user experience in order to solve the problem of recovery time reduction. I see some problem areas that are not addressed in the following video.

With your own experience of undergoing ACL surgery recovery, what ever area you eventually choose to focus on, it will give you a good place to begin asking the right questions and put you well ahead of someone who has not gone through the same experience.

You are doing the right thing starting wide, asking for feedback, and then narrowing your focus as you collect feedback data.

Good luck…

Hi,

I find sports innovation extremely interesting. If you have an affinity for the topic and the project seems like fun, of course go for it!

Your thesis abstract is extremely generic which is ok for the first day of the project but the next 1-2 weeks you can work on specifying the project further. It is good to develop a very broad awareness of all kinds of sports, different types of athletes and the supporting technologies available and in development for them. What your project needs is a strong story of how a specific innovation will help a specific user group. Several factors will influence your decisions:

• Economic - What will my product cost? Who will invest in it and why? What is the time-to-market of the product?
  • Usability - Who is the user? What is the scenario of use? Is the product comfortable and valuable enough to have people find it worth to actually use it? Is it a beautiful solution?
  • Technology - Which technologies are available at the moment, and, can they be installed in your prototypes? Is there a critical technology that may impede the success of the product (say, what the battery is to the electric car) ?
  • Design - Are there other ways to improve the situation? For example facilitating proper communication between people may be a better innovation than trying to solve things just using new products/technologies. Can the solution be integrated with already existing solutions? Can it acquire new meaning besides doing what it is supposed to do?

After a phase of initial orientating research, the best thing to do is pick a few focus areas including a user group and specific situations in their lives, then go explore these by talking to a few relevant people such as 1. an athlete 2. a therapist in that field and 3. an expert on sports technology/innovation.

Then you can start working towards first ideas and concepts - the goal should in my view be to, as quickly as possible, develop a minimum viable product through prototyping and testing in the field, searching for the minimal solution that generates the most (perceived) value to the customer.

So focus fast, and quickly attune your inner radar towards starting to design and field test.

Absolutely not.

No.

This is not the consumer market, this will be a medical claim. You are not allowed, nor should you be allowed, to make up some bullshit claim about an perceived improvement to health. If you are going to make a claim, you must be able to prove your claim. Anything less is snake oil and morally repugnant.

I completely agree with that - the goal of any thesis should be to prove the validity of a design implementation, and in this case that should include hard medical evidence.

I am only trying to convey a spirit of simplicity - do not try to solve everything but starting simple, focusing on the most interesting aspect and developing a refreshing design implementation. Look for example at the SmartGoals project - www.smartgoals.nl. It is extremely simple, interconnected cones with flashing lights. And it does not cover many aspects of the game - but it is a great tool for ball passing, teamwork and insight.