must ID people make models?

I love model making. I’d continue to do if I could, but I became alergic to all that crap.

What is the consensus: Do most of you ID people have to do a little model making?

It’s my experience that while you as a designer think you may not NEED a model, you’ll always learn about the product from building one. I don’t view model making as something I “have” to do, but as a key aspect of the design process. I’m not sure I could confidently complete a project without some sort of modelling being involved.

In order to get your intent across to non-designers (read: management, clients, accountants, investors - the monied folk) models, even crude ones, go a long way in getting people involved, educated and excited about the project.

Perhaps this post belongs to General Design section instead of Employment.

Modeling can be a big part of the design process itself or it can be a tool for presenting and varifying your idea. I think weather it is needed for each designer to model is up to the process and the product the person is desiging. I’m sure designers who develop hand held equipmentss willl make foam mockups quite often. I personally have not modeled anything by hand in quite a while. Most of the modeling is done on the computer and the models are machined out of ren where I design computer peripherals.

I sympathesize with your situation. I had a similar problem and developed asthma when I started using foam to model. Go to Home Depot and purchase a $30 painters mask. You should be having some kind of respiratory protection anyway.

You need to model. Regardless of scale of product, handheld or not you need iterations that you can touch and feel to create solutions. I am one of those who hated physical modeling because of allergies- but just like a picture is worth a thousand words, a model is worth a thousand pictures. Rough breadboards and iterative protoypes are integral to innovation

:astonished:

The 3M $30 mask is a blast. I feel so much better than before when I wear it. It takes a little while to get used to it, and now I can’t go into the shop without it.