Muscle car fascination

Spinning off of the Charger thread. Here are some pics of muscle cars that I like.

Olds 442: A car that was so well proportioned that it still looks good today, imo.

Plymouth Barracuda: Well proportioned. Gotta love the graphics on the side too!

AMC AMX:

I grew up at car shows, mostly the ones with alot of hot rods. When I was a teen I discovered foreign cars, which is all I’ve ever owned.

I think the muscle car strikes a deep urge in the American male (lets face it, their aren’t as many female muscle car fans). One is power. Another is looking like an underdog (no one can confuse one for a Ferrari). Last, is the easy to drive aspect.

If you go back to the Model T Ford, you will note that it was probably the worst car ever made. Under-refined engine, crude suspension barely above that of a covered wagon, with a 2 speed CONSTANT mesh transmission. Loud, ugly, and perfect for the American market. The Model T was simple enough that anyone could drive it, but tough enough to survive if someone couldn’t. The muscle car is made of the same stuff. So are SUVs.

i always loved the '70 cougar.

the challenger reminds me of growing up in detroit, cruising woodward, wasting gas, looking for girls and dusting mid-late 80’s corvettes.

I have to give the baracuda my vote for looks. I agree that the AAR 'cuda’s paint is tops

how about the 68 camero. thats a hot car

Growing up the 1970’s, everybody’s older brother had a muscle car. The rollcall includes:

69 GTO 6bbl Red Convertible (stunning)
77 Trans Am Black Smokey/Bandit version
78 Trans Am turbo
78 Mustang King Kobra
67 GTO white (very simple and elegant)
70 Camaro hot rod style
70 Cougar
70 Cuda Purple Color (has a cool name too - gorgeous)

others, can’t remember all them now. Ahh, the Seventies. In 6th grade a kid brought in a Car and Driver magazine, with Porsches and BMWs, and that changed everything for me though…

Have you seen the Barrett/Jackson phenomenon yet - like over $100G for pristine cars like the above. And to think we used to drive around and do burnouts on a daily basis. Who knew?

All the muscle cars look obese not, no wait, at that time they were just plain fat. It’s today’s cars that are obese since we found a name for our own lack of self control. Boats on wheels.

Oh, yeah don’t forget:

[quote=“Anonymous”]All the muscle cars look obese not, no wait, at that time they were just plain fat. It’s today’s cars that are obese since we found a name for our own lack of self control. Boats on wheels.

And please forgive my ignorance but can anyone circle on any of the pictures where the muscles are on those cars?

I’d love to see one of the motors dropped in a smaller car like a Miata or Golf. That would be something!!!

This is a muscle car.

Not many can afford but it’s a muscle car.

The new Bugatti - I can’t get past the two tone or the grill - the EB110 was a much better looking Bugatti - 10 years ago and it still looks sweet - as far as muscle cars - you can’t just write them off as boats - there were some sweet rides with huge engines - the '67 camaro convertible was the nicest looking in my opinion, before the headlight covers - and also the GTO, what a sweet ride.
[/img]

Well, I dunno. My biggest issue with american cars is the lack of refinement. As much as I may not like the american cars I have to say that Cord although not a muscle car is my favorite.

Guest: I live in Canada. We’ve paid $.80 a liter for a few years now. That works out to $3.60 a gallon. Lately, gas is around $1.03 a liter or $4.00 a gallon. Today it is $1.35 a liter (I thought the oil in Alberta wouldn’t be effected by the hurricane, but apparently it is) that is $5.40 a gallon. Our country has real taxes!

That’s why I don’t drive a muscle car. In EU some places gas hit $6/gallon, few weeks before the hurricane.