Motivation....

Hi everyone!

i’m in london as well,but learning english and working in a fucking restaurant for surviving,london is too much expensive dude.

My friends are surprised with me,they think that i’m crazy or something like that,i can’t speak of design with them,just matters for me go to stores for check shoes and design shoes that i’ve never seen before.

So,i’m really really lost in this greater city,i don’t know where can i go for looking for a job as a footwear designer,i don’t know where to find people for talk about design,tomorrow i will be fine i guess,today too negative.

kind regards

bollymenut, I reckon should be ‘billy u r nuts’!!!..ha ha ha har d har har

heh wolfmann, went to that pecha kucha night in Belfast last Wednesday…

:wink: :wink: :wink: cheers for the suggestion, turned out to be wellllllll good :laughing: And very inspirational and relaxing (or maybe that was the beer). It was the first one over this side of the big blue pond, so I think the first couple of speakers weren’t sure how to take it, and neither did I as a newcomer, but as it progressed I got more into the flow…Definately going to try and make another one back on the mainland, possible even a trip down to London…

thanks again for the hint softmint

burnsie :open_mouth:

nice on Maj029 glad you had a good time. You should put yourself forward to talk for the next one.

to add-on to the motivational topic, I’ve also found doing and delivering good work can be a big boost…but often through a project when the project goes a bit dry it can be hard to get it moving along, thatswhen I think you need a good boss to give you the encouragement coaching style of management to get you going again…or take the team out for lunch.

I worked several jobs out of school as the lone designer. I found I had to go back to my roots in education to support myself. Little things like form follows function. Analyze the problem before attemping solutions. Define the project scope, etc. Have several solutions before deciding to refine one. This kept me sane because I knew these were the right approaches even when others tried to short cut me or the design process for their own needs. When confronted I simply would state that these are my design values that allow the best solutions for all involved. Some would look at this as freakish but the real professionals be it marketing, engineering or writing knew I was right because they too have values in their disciplines. If they use their values they respected me. If they did not they had an internal reality check on why they were in that particular office and I could see it in their faces that they were embarassed.

Another lone designer in an office of 20 lacking motivation. All those suggestions are great. I’m in Taipei and even if I come up with what I think is a good design they don’t get it. So for motivation I have taken to looking for another job and reading this site. Stupid really because I have so much freedom in this one. So it’s not London causing the great motivation collapse!

Another lone designer in an office of 20 lacking motivation. All those suggestions are great. I’m in Taipei and even if I come up with what I think is a good design they don’t get it. So for motivation I have taken to looking for another job and reading this site. Stupid really because I have so much freedom in this one. So it’s not London causing the great motivation collapse!

This might sound crazy or impossible to some but if all else fails, blogs, other designers, workmates, loved ones.

Try putting your work up like your ready for presentation to clients, only then take a day off from looking at it.

Come back the next day completely objective, Pretend your some one else hell even dress up if you have to, I know it sounds stange But if you are able to look at your own work like it is some one elses you will be the best at offering your self ideas, and motivation.

This has wrked for me only I did dress up, but some people…

even if this just makes you laugh.

I workj for myself mainly right now trying to bring my own ideas into fruition working on one idea for an extended period of time by your self can be tiring even madening. But, creative people have to find a way to resolve no matter what be the fix. even being a lil crazy.

try it out. or just laugh…

laughter helps!

Incredible how spending time with a friend who works in a creative business as well can be motivating. This friend visited me for a few days and it was great to talk about all the things that are on my mind, knowing this person will understand them.

Also have my salary review next week where I can address issues that are on my mind as well. Only I am never really sure how open I shall be when it comes to how much I am worth, working conditions, for example being able to work outside the office a couple of hours a week, including time to go to museums, galleries, etc.

Yes this is certainly a good one…cross linking from other creative fields can be rewarding. Or frustrating. My flat mate is a press photographer and it amazes me how quickly he can build up his portfolio

I’m also thinking a element of newness helps alot, I’ve been working on this one project for a while now and its starting to grate on me a bit. Having a constant stream of new projects can keep the motivation going.

I’m also thinking a element of newness helps alot, I’ve been working on this one project for a while now and its starting to grate on me a bit. Having a constant stream of new projects can keep the motivation going.

I totally agree. These last couple of months I’ve been mainly working on all those little projects that need to be done but aren’t exactly exciting and take time nonetheless. On top I’m waiting for clients to get back to me on a couple of drafts I sent over. Although I keep calling them I’ve been waiting for a reply for almost 4 weeks now.

My friend works as a producer (mostly documentaries). He works as an english teacher part time so he has some money coming in while trying to promote his latest work. In a way I envy him as he has enough time for his own work but I know I’m not ready to go freelance quite yet. Therefore this job is okay in means of steady income and being able to get that work for my portfolio so I’ll have more/better chances if I do look for a new job/freelance clients.