Most used 3d software

I am a ID student at wentworth in boston, The program they teach is for 3d modeling is rhino. Is that a commonly used 3d program in the “real” world?

I am really asking so that I know if I will be handicapped compared to other students when going for co-op or other positions. Or if there are other 3d modeling programs I should try to foucs my attention on, such as solidworks or modo etc.

Rhino and SolidWorks would be a good combination to learn. They ane used in the real world and very popular cause of their affordability. Alternatively Pro/E and Alias Studio ane higher end programs also used in the “real world.”

Rhino is a solid package. While it may not be as widely used in larger firms with bigger budgets, it will teach you the fundamentals of surfacing without the “I want to rip my hair out” effects that Alias can have. Solidworks is another good package to pick up to understand solid modelling. Also would be worth picking up a good rendering package like Hypershot, Showcase, or an older more tradtional package like Maya or 3D Studio Max.

With those 3 types of packages under your belt you would be a solid candidate just about anywhere, even if they use Alias/Pro E/Unigraphics/etc.

While Rhino3D probably isn’t the MOST used software, it forces you to think in 3D CAD terms. For instance, I’m probably seen as elite-level when it comes to Rhino. When I took a Solidworks Advanced Surfacing class this past spring, I was immediately able to understand the concepts and was able to quickly learn. Solidworks is about $7K for 3-yr license. Rhino is about $1K and you can download an educational version. So, for that reason alone,I’d suggest you learn Rhino because of it’s power and simplicity.

Good luck!

We learn Solidworks and Alias at my school. I like having learned Alias because learning Rhino is easier, whereas going from Rhino to Alias may be difficult.

I know your an ID student but you mentioned simply 3d software. I am willing to wager that Maya is bigger in number of seats sold over that of SW or Pro/E or even the inexpensive Rhino? I could be wrong.

Maya can be useful to learn, particularly early in the stages of ID where you want to make a pretty picture more than a 3D prototype or actual product. I started off with Maya 1.0 right after it had branched off from Power Animator (In hindsight I wish I would’ve stuck with power animator, it would’ve put me better off for where I am now!) and used it extensively through my college career, though about halfway through school I picked up Rhino and used that for most of my “ID” work, though I kept Maya in my workflow for things that needed to be pretty pictures (POP design, Car design) and not actual products.

Now though, with CPU power being so cheap and rendering packages like Hypershot and Showcase, I feel like the old school rendering package isn’t as valuable for students as it used to be. It forces you to learn things the hard way (shader networks instead of just picking a material) but it means your results are much better, much faster.

so out of shier number of seats do you think Maya is more popular than rhino? Or rhino more popular. Among designers of course its rhino…

If you mean in the world in general, there are definately more users of Maya than Rhino. Rhino is basically only used by small ID firms, some machine shops, etc.

Maya is used by ad agencies, almost every movie house, and amatuer animators all over the world. Maya is the reason Avatar was as sweet as it was.

hey? how about 3ds max? Is there anybody think that 3ds max is really useful? I used it for several years (actually, my college teaches it), but I begin feel that it’s boring. I want to try another, Rhinos or solid works…but I reallly don’t know which is the best? :frowning:

once you learn one you set up to learn em all. The best software is the one your customer tells you to use. :laughing:

My suggestion is to avoid the Maya even tho we have this class http://www.proetools.com/courses/maya/level1id.htm and studio max and focus instead on sketching first and foremost. Then learn SW or Pro/E… My statistics show that if you learn SW first you will not learn Pro/E later. If you learn Pro/E you tend to pick up SW later on.

This is a new class I put together for Pro/E surfacing (outside ID of course) Since many aircraft manufactures and companies use either Catia or Pro/E … http://www.proetools.com/courses/pro_surface/level9.htm

I use 3ds Max for my visualizations and animations. My work involves a hybrid of architecture, furniture and ID. I wish I knew Maya as well, but Max is great for working with architectural objects. I would never say that 3ds Max is boring. It’s an extremely powerful program.

The only downfall I see with Max is that it can be a PITA when trying to produce physical objects. I’m not saying it can’t be done. But there are much better programs for that.

Rhino is a very solid program. There are some great plugins that help tailor your work flow for a given discipline.

I can’t comment on Solid Works as I don’t know the program.

Thank you. I understand. Maybe that’s a little exaggerative when saying that’s 3ds max is boring. BUT My problem is exactly what you’ve said: “it can be a PITA when trying to produce physical objects”. I know 3ds max is very useful for achitecture and funiture design. And it 's really an extremely powerful programe for materials, light, space, ect. But when you want to creat complex models, really tired! That’s the weak point of 3ds max. Meanwhile, Rhinos is really good at modelling. ( I 'm studying it) Is there any way to combine the strong points of these two programe?

You can do your modeling in Rhino and export your models to render in 3ds max. I’ve known a few people that do that. You have some issues with the faces on your objects and such but as long as you are not modifying the model in 3ds max you should be fine.

I basically gave up on using rhino for modeling unless I am going to be manufacturing something. I do a lot of visualization work so 3ds Max is what I work with the most. There are times when I will have two separate models. I do the manufacturing work in Rhino and then rebuild the model in 3ds Max for the renderings (this depends on the complexity of the model).

ok. I will try. You seem have many experience. Maybe my true problem is my poor experience. I’m still a student and I don’t know any 3d programe but 3ds max, the one taught in school. Sometime I wonder “Is it really the best one?” or "Is it really used in “the real word?”. :frowning: ( I’m learning Rhinos myself and I 'll try the way you’ve said when my Rhinos skill gets better).

Or maybe the simple is the best ? : improving my 3ds max skill in modelling :frowning: . Maybe my modelling skill is still weak?

You have to remember that all 3d software is just a tool to achieve the results you want.

I would never say 3ds max is the best choice for ID work. However, it is a great tool for visualization of projects.

For ID work you should definitely learn Rhino and Solidworks or Alias Studio. Those seem to be the most commonly used pieces of software. When you are working for a company you need to know the tools they use (solidworks/alias).

Keep working on your Rhino skills. There is a plug-in called T-Splines that is pretty amazing. It lets you work in a similar fashion as box modeling in 3ds max. Yet it retains the ability to convert your object to a manufacturable nurbs model.
http://www.tsplines.com/

Thank you, I’ll download it

is there a dream job/ activity in your heart and mind ?..what tools are used on your dream job/activity? …is related to design in a way you can use 3d?..

There is a plug-in called T-Splines that is pretty amazing. It lets you work in a similar fashion as box modeling in 3ds max. Yet it retains the ability to convert your object to a manufacturable nurbs model.

What are the other differences between T-Splines and Sub-d poly modeling? I noticed that T-Splines has a ‘SetStarSmoothness’ command to smooth out poles.

Let me reword that question. It’s better to think of it as what’s the difference between T-Splines and NURBS modeling. T-Splines lets you use the traditional box/polygonal modeling techniques so there isn’t much difference. With that said, there are a few main advantages to using T-Splines over traditional NURBS modeling

These are:

1. T-Points: They allow you to reduce the amount of control points needed in a traditional nurbs model.
  2. Local Detail: You can add detail to small sections of the t-splines model. Whereas traditional nurbs modeling you must add complete rings in order to get more detail even though you don’t need all of the add lines.
    3.Non-Rectangular surfaces with star points: The star points overcome a fundamental limitation of nurbs modeling allowing you greater control over the surfaces by using these poles.

There is a t-splines blog that goes into greater detail that you should check out.
http://blog.tsplines.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

If you have the time, the t-splines website has a ton of useful information about the plugin and some good tutorials and case examples for you to read about.
http://www.tsplines.com/