Modular Office Furniture

My company just got office space and we are moving in in a few weeks. Any suggestions for some nice modular office furniture?

We’re 4 bodies in a moderately sized office…open(ish) floor plan.

Thanks!

maybe plywood on cinder blocks? :wink:

look into refurbished office furniture.

otherwise i would hope your firm is creative enough to make something clever and simple enough to delineate the space. it’s going to speak volumes for your company as an image and as designers.

Check out Allsteel or Ahrend. They’re both doing cool things.

maybe plywood on cinder blocks? Wink

All ready thought about this…I can’t get past the fact that I lived with this look for 5 years while at University.

otherwise i would hope your firm is creative enough to make something clever and simple enough to delineate the space. it’s going to speak volumes for your company as an image and as designers.

Not sure if I buy that creating our own furniture would significantly improve the company image. If we were a furniture design company…maybe.

Besides, I would rather focus on our clients right now as opposed to trying to reinvent the wheel. For a few hundred dollars I can buy something functional and attractive that maintains the image I want. I would surely be investing more than a day into designing my own solution, methinks.

I suggest you come up with a per workstation budget first. Can you spend $500 per person? $1000? $2000?

There are pleanty of choices at each level. I can make specific recommendations once you let us know how much you are willing to spend.

$500 is what I had in mind…but if it just makes way more sense to spend a few hun more…I will do it.

no, i’m not aaying make your own furniture, i’m talking about making your own space(s). freestanding furniture + ? to do this. cheaper than cubicles. nothing looks worse for outside design firms i deal with than to walk into their office and see creative people coralled into vanilla cubes.

example, one firm i worked at, we hung 22 x 60 panels of corrugated steel from the ceiling to break up the space. we painted the panels complimenting or contrasting colors or put imagery on them, which looked really interesting on the corrugation. it was an interesting idea that a lot of our clients loved asking about.

talk the talk, walk the walk.

With that budget, you’re stuck with the stuff you’ll find at Office Max, Depot Staples. :frowning:

If you were willing to go up to $1000, you could consider IKEA.

These prices would include the following:

-An L shaped desk
-Mobile file pedestal
-Long term file storage (lateral files, cabinets with doors).

You might want to check out www.eurway.com as well.

no, i’m not aaying make your own furniture, i’m talking about making your own space(s). freestanding furniture + ? to do this. cheaper than cubicles.

OK, I get the feeling that I am using the wrong terminology when I refer to “modular” furniture.

I most definitely do NOT want cubicles. I want tables that can be moved (wheeled?) into new configurations easily. Ones that have some “modularity” to them.

Here’s an example of one that I was looking at over the weekend, but unfortunately is being decomissioned:

So, one of my concerns is getting more furniture to match over the next couple of years as we grow.

To your point KungFu…I follow what your saying and that is exactly what I intend to do…I am just trying to do the billable hour juggle with creating our space…I am just looking for some good furniture to be the catalyst for that design process.

Really $500 isnt going to get you anything half interesting.

Most quality office desks/systems are $2-5+ K per workstation. Maybe go back to your boss/office manager and make a plea for quality, ergonomics, working morale and lifecycle of the furniture.

For $500 you desk will last you maybe 2 years before it falls apart from daily use. for $2K you’ll have something solid forever and can actually sell instead of junk.

best bang for your buck i’d suggest then is to design something yourself and have it fabricated. MDF table tops and somet simple welded or other legs and frame and you can create your own functionality for pretty cheap.

R

There is Anthro, but it ain’t cheap:

Biomoprh also comes to mind (again, not cheap):

If you can wait a while, the company I work for is rolling out a new collection which may fit your needs. I believe we start shipping to United stationers in the next few months:

Apparently it is already for sale online:

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/manufacturer/list/manufacturer_id/Samsonite/super_category/Office%20Suites%20&%20Desks.html

i think this chair is useful for your office.
bizchair1_1962_618738793.gif