minors to accompany an ID major

I was wondering what academic minors would be helpful to accompany a degree in industrial design. Would minoring in mechanical or material science engineering or psychology be useful? It seems like a trend in my design school to minor in business administration, but I guess that would be practical if they were to own their own design company. Please offer some advice. Thanks.

…just about anything can be useful (a diversion if nothing else)…you will be surprised to find how useful those elective can be no matter how far a field they may be…follow your bliss…i minored in physics and i still cann’t get enough ‘m theory’.

Twenty years ago I would have recommended an engineering minor, today I strongly recommend psychology.

Question: Will you have any time left over for a minor?

I definitely have a lot of space on my schedule for a minor, maybe even another major.

business…

then graphic design…or interactive design (user interface)

then maybe mechanical engineering, but i don;t really think it would be possible to do a minor in any type of engineering field.

It really depends on what you want to do. If your interests are in designing consumer products and knowing retail then psychology is probably the way to go.

If youre interested in doing your own products and manufacturing then i would recommend getting a minor in engineering. The only problem is that a lot of schools will only let you go so far into the program without taking some very heavy courses in math and science.

If you’re like me and you’re really into interface design and usability then you will want to get a minor or even a double major in computer science. If you don’t have a CS degree then you can almost forget getting a web design job. The days of simple html tables are over, now everything is database driven and very code heavy. Thats what I’m working on right now and I love it. Plus the pay for CS majors is waaaaaay higher than Industrial Designers. I know a lot of people that are making 6 figures right now doing medical and banking systems.

If you have Design and CS then you can handle everything from the front end HCI work all the way to the backend development and coding. You’d also be surprised at how much overlap there is. My systems analysis and design course for computer science is just like methods of design that I took for my ID degree but it has more technical (and useful) info.