Microsoft Must Integrate Hardware, Esslinger Says

http://www.washingtonpost.com/microsoft-must-integrate-hardware-esslinger-says/2012/07/09/gJQAV00TZW_video.html

See also:

“I see Microsoft as technology’s answer to Sears,” said Kurt Massey, a former senior marketing manager. “In the 40s, 50s, and 60s, Sears had it nailed. It was top-notch, but now it’s just a barren wasteland. And that’s Microsoft. The company just isn’t cool anymore.”
via Vanity Fair: http://vnty.fr/MH1Uke

I’d say Microsoft is getting cooler.

The phone OS is great, and the next version looks even better. Windows 8 seems like it has a lot of potential and they’re going to ship some nice hardware to run it.

In my mind, they’ve come a long way from the bloat-ware producing “evil empire” of the past. Even Bill Gates is doing great philanthropic work with his billions

I agree wholeheartedly with Travis.

I believe Microsoft is on the verge of regaining lots of market share. Not just the Phone OS but the phones themselves (thanks to Nokia) are top notch. If Windows 8 and the Surface slates are anywhere near as good as they’re beginning to look, it will be a good next few years for the big giant.

I also think bringing the hardware in house was the best move they could have made while introducing a big-leap software OS like they claim Windows 8 will be. Why leave your masterpiece OS to the perception control of Taiwan and Chinese computer manufacturers who may or may not have your best interests in mind.

Think of the big two competitors - Apple still struggles with business market share (where Windows has always held a stranglehold), Google is so busy being awesome that the MOTO + Android effort still looks like a red haired stepchild (albeit an impressive one) so Microsoft’s timing for bringing a more cohesive hardware/software offering to the slate and phone markets is right on target.

Now…if they can pull it off smoothly, successfully and without disaster, all should go as planned!

From an article this week…

Apple co-founder Stephen Wozniak put it best at Intel’s recent technology conference in Chile when he commended longtime Apple rival Microsoft for its design turnaround, lavishing praise on what he views as the company’s new commitment to the “convergence of art and technology” with the Surface tablet, Xbox Kinect, and Windows Phone operating system.

These new products are so visually appealing, Wozniak said, it’s as though “Steve Jobs was reincarnated at Microsoft.”