Microsoft design contest

I would like to know the opinion of the comunity about the finalist projects posted at http://www.startsomethingpc.com

Personally, I was expecting to see a higher level of design and innovation.

What do you think?

cheers!

I’m not all that impressed with any of this stuff either, except for this drafting table. I’d beg, borrow, and steal to have one of these! Not interested in a projection screen though, probably not crisp or bright enough, just give it a LCD or something. This is exactly what I want in a computer.

Are these finalists or mere entries?

The interface design of the website is less than convenient. I didn’t have the patience to go through each slide. Furthermore, most of the boards don’t tell me what it’s about on the first glance. The texts are hard to read too.

Luckily I didn’t submit my plant integrated into PC idea. There are so many similar concepts there.

I am also disappointed that most of them remain as an electronic product. Looks and feels like one. I would focus on the interface of the system more though.

These are the finalists…

This is the jury http://new.idsa.org/webmodules/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=1650&z=134

I don´t know what you guys think, but it looks like a students competition.

BTW, you are right about the site interface!!! They should fire the web designer… “Click on the box above to enter the site”… it makes me laugh!!!

Should we expect the same level of work in the next Windows Vista and the next generation of products?

I actually read the PC rules for this competition, and the designers were to design something that is very technically feasible. In my opinion the lack of innovation is in part due to microsoft implying that the design had to be manufacturable within the next couple of years. Of course this makes sense, because Microsoft wants a design they can use, and not a cool idea that is never going to be realized.

That being said, as a wacom user, I think this ‘virtual palette’ is WAY over due to hit this market. I’m personally tired of my tool bars, and color palette cluttering my desktop.

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=2233&st=0#entry15334[/img]

any inputs?
i know the qualities of works sent to us weren’t so hot but still, help me here people.
any thoughts on the projects?

i think most of the projects are too ‘pie in the sky’ and not true improvements on the PC usage. They seem to neglect important things. Like say…reality. Did the designers really think the next generation PC is going to be a flower vase??? Or a plant? Come on people. But I guess that’s what you’d expect from a design competition. This is a general statement, and of course doesn’t apply to all projects.

The really good stuff probably didn’t even get sent it because of intellectual property. Instead of first rights, contest rules say that submissions are owned by Microsoft. Anybody with a really good idea won’t get anything but the notoriety, which is just as easy to get by entering a different competition.

:)ensen.

i think most of the projects are too ‘pie in the sky’ and not true improvements on the PC usage. They seem to neglect important things. Like say…reality. Did the designers really think the next generation PC is going to be a flower vase??? Or a plant? Come on people. But I guess that’s what you’d expect from a design competition. This is a general statement, and of course doesn’t apply to all projects.

I am afraid I do not agree with this opinion:) I want to use another amiable form of using computer. It need not be a vase but a form without too many buttons:p > :wink: >

Bill,

You’ve got a point. I was going to enter my ‘mapping personality via technology’ - and just gave up halfway through. I am a busy designer for another company - not only was the “its all owned by Microsoft” - hey who’s designing it? - but it was way too tedious to submit a load of stuff digitally - and then send it in again via snail mail.

It’s bad enough entering design competitions with serious professional value - IDSA, Red Dot, ID mag, etc. but for a digital company, with little real reward - it just isn’t a big enough carrot, and designers are often difficult to cajole the last little bit too.

When you were immersed in coding a few years back - what would it have taken for you to submit a code project for something else - that had no real benefit to your company?

Glenn Johnson

A few of them caught my eye, but upon closer inspection (as is common in competitions like this) many eventually emerge as half-baked, been-done-before, or solutions in search of a real problem.

The tablet PC is a good submission, and would win the swimsuit portion of the competition, and any one of those using projectors is kinda cool.

The Wearable camera gets my vote for the most original and innovative idea. The fact that it’s not a full-fledged computer tells me that personal computers are close to exhausting its options as far as practical form factors are concerned (desktop > laptop > tablet PC > iMac (PC+monitor) > handheld PDA > OQO).

I dunno about the furniture…I like being able to work anywhere with my laptop.