mesh

Hi,

I’m new around here having only recently found this corner of the web - good to see so much enthusiasm and sharing. Anyway I’ve had a look around and can’t seem to find what I’m looking for so I thought I might ask…

I’m pretty new to illustrator and proper rendering in photoshop. I’m interested in footwear and am wondering about the best way to represent mesh. The method i am using is to create a pattern swatch in illustrator, apply it to whatever panel of the shoe, then in photoshop play with bevel and emboss etc.

Not sure if this is the best way to get the desired effect. Is it better to leave the panels alone in illustrator then apply a pattern/filter later on only in PS? hmmm… I’ll post up my first attempt when i figure out how to attach jpegs here(!)

Also back in illustrator - I create my pattern with shapes/lines, then ‘define pattern’, give it a name, drag it in the swatch palate and apply as fill where ever i want. All good. Now, how do i save this pattern swatch so i can use it in other illustrator files? I can’t quite work it out…

Thanks if you can help,
mwhit3y

Alright, images should be attached

of course the whole shoe isn’t mesh - this is just so you get the idea of the method… :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh - also, can I only do the pattern warp (as described in another topic on this board) in illustrator? this will affect the the way i set the mesh up obviously, I’ll be playing around with that effect next…

Cheers,
mwhit3y.

rkuchinsky has a nice tutorial on his blog

http://www.firstpullover.com/2007/01/footwear-photoshop-rendering-tutorial.html