ME + ID Programs besides Stanford

I was wondering if there are any good programs out there that are engineering focused besides that at Stanford. Preferably something like Stanford’s that gets you a Mechanical Engineering degree, but focuses on design. The reason is, I haven’t had that much artistic training, and am confident in my abilities to succeed in engineering. However, I’m more interested in Product Design. I would have had the credentials to get into Stanford last year, but I would be a transfer at this point because I had no clue what to major in last year, and decide just to go undecided at my local university (University of Tennessee), and not that confident I can get still get in. I’m still going to try, but doubt the possibility of that, but money might also be an issue.

I would also prefer a program on the East Coast or Midwest. How are the programs at Virginia Tech, NCSU, or GA Tech, since those are all schools that have really strong engineering programs. My sister goes to UIUC and she says a lot of the students in Engineering take Industrial Design courses for all their electives, and I am considering doing that, but there aren’t that many engineering programs that aren’t too rigid for that.

So if you already are stronger on the left brain, how things work end, why go to a school that is not going to help you attain any additional skills? It will be more difficult to go to a school that focuses on your week points, but you’ll be a better designer and more attractive employee for it.

I don’t have much input as far as the engineering-focused ID program…

BUT, I went to collegel with very little artistic training as well. In HS I took the standard college prep classes focusing on science, math, etc, but ultimately didn’t have the passion for them. I found out about ID my last semester of school and decided to go with it…

I actually looked into going to UIUC, but decided on Cincinnati instead, mainly because of it co-op program.

Don’t be intimidated by your lack of artistic training, no matter how little you have. Another nice thing about UIUC and UC is that neither of them require a portfolio as part of their admissions requirements…

Best of luck.

forgot to log in…that last post was mine…

Check out UC DAVIS. There design program is pretty good, but focuses heavily on engineering projects. I think it would be a good fit for you as you will expand on your engineering while having a little freedom to get creative.

Is there a reason IIT, Carnagie Mellon and MIT weren’t on your list?
like Stanford, their idea is that a good engineer takes everything into account, even aesthetics.

Don’t all schools require you to have a portfolio after you get into the foundations program? Because at UIUC my sister got in, but in order to get into ID she had to go through an interview and portfolio review and only about 40 people get in out of 240 applicatns a year. Luckily she got in, but I don’t know about myself. Since I’m already putting myself a year behind by transfering, I don’t really want to go through something that competitive where I could end up getting screwed.

As for Carnegie Mellon, I was seriously considering them since they have such strong ID and Engineering; however, since I am a transfer I’m afraid I won’t qualify for any Merti Aid that I could have gotten last year…and I don’t really qualify for any financial aid…hence me looking at NCSU and VA tech, and other not too expensive schools. UC Davis would be cool, but outside of California the UCs are like private school expensive. IIT doesn’t have ID for Undergrad…and MIT is impossible to get into (Stanford probably is too for that matter, but I’d much rather be at Stanford than MIT)

I know it would probably be better to go to a design school, but I want to have engineering skills just in case the design field is too competitive…I just dont’ like the power generation/power transfer aspects of mechanical engineering…I think I’m just looking for something a little too catered to what I want, but so far the only program I’ve seen that fits what I want is Product Design at Stanford, and I saw something like that at Rennslaeer…but other than that I’m not sure.

I would definitely check out how involved the Engineering programs are with the Design programs at the schools you’re looking into. Just because a school has a strong Engineering school, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll be able to have the time, exposure, etc, to Engineering that you’re looking for.

UC (Cincinnati) has a pretty strong Engineering program, but I never had a the credit hour flexibility, or the time, to take any classes that would be engineering related. The amount of engineering know how that I acquired was all from my Materials and Processes classes, and my co-ops…

I think your best bet is to talk to some the facult and staff at the schools’ design departments to get a better idea…

What is it that you’re most interested in doing after graduation? That might help you target the kind of education you’re looking for…

UC also has a Bio-Medical product development studio taught with ID, business, and BioMechanical engineering. This class is tought in Engineering as thier senior capstone project, ID’s are welcome to follow up any project as thier senior thesis.

Although only a couple years old, it’s similar to a department at CMU - and with the head of that dept now teaching ID at UC, I expect it will become an exceptionall program.

Would you be interested in medical products? - might be ideal for you -

check Univ Michigan, ann arbor. i applied for a double major in eng-id.

I would suggest finding a school where engineering openly collaborates/participates with design students. some strong engineering schools that offer id dont usually allow for this kind of interaction, leaving you to simply focus on engineering…because workload is heavy.

Va Tech’s ID program is independent of the engineering school. You can take some courses in the Engineering school, but the majority of your focus will be on design. If you followed the Mechanical Engineerig degree, and picked up an ID minor, maybe that would spin you in the direction you are interested in?

I had the same problem with you, in my last 2 highschool years I searched all schools with ID+ME Stanford was the best but I could not get into the school.(will still try transferring) Currently I am in UIUC as a ME major, It is really hard to get ID classes as electives there is no ID minor and double major is almost impossible(unless you stay in school for 5 or more years). I am trying to fit one ID course every semester and even that is really hard for such a competitive engineering curriculum. The CMU is a great option but you have the aid problem (I had the same problem as an international student), other options might be RIT (it is as more difficult than UIUC to double major there), Univ of Cincininati might be an option. Other than those Univ of Cal Long Beach has both programs, Auburn, Notre Dame Univ, GA tech, VA tech, Wenthworth Institute of Technology(It is easier to get an engineering + ID degree here) all have the two programs (although some of than are not so reputable in ID) Purdue (they have a special engineering program that is named Interdisciplinary engineering and ID+ME is one of the offerings, their engineering school is ranked well too, It was one of the schools that I thought a lot about-might be a good alternative since it is easier to enroll classes from both majors)

If you find such a good program as Stanford please mail me too. This topic has been bothering me for 2 years…

www.rpi.edu check out the Product design and innovation program… you get an MechE degree and a ID degree in 4 yrs…

Hold on everyone…

We are jumping to the conclusion that he wants to be an industrial designer more than a design engineer.

Kareem,
What is your main focus and passion for entering into the product development relm?

Please describe your ideal day at work?

Please describe how you currently go about solving a design/product problem?

Are you interested or willing to give up the CAD and Stiff Eng thinking to visually think through your approach and solutions, i.e. multiple sketch ideations? Or are you hoping to use your engineering skills and education working in collaboration with designers to develop innovative products as part of a team?

I ask the question, because I have a cousing-in-law who was an ME, then went back for ID at MIAD. Worked for 2 years as an IDer, then realised that he found no pleasure in the up-front blue-sky work. He then took a possistion as a Design engineer with a consultancy, now he loves using his ME expertise as part of a collaberative team of designers, engineers, and researchers.

We need to know your motivations and passions before advice can be given. Were do you derive your passion from?

This is hard to believe that it is worht the paper the degrees are written on. ME 4-5 yrs independently
ID 4-5 yrs independently best programs require 1-2 semesters co-op/intern experiance.

4 yrs for both=worthless degree with little opertunity for quality work or study.

An education cannot and should not be rushed or cost-cut. It is your life after all!

Last 2 were me forgot to log in sorry.

I looked over the above rpi.edu site. Personally it look, and feels like a progressive engineering degree…and far from an Industrial Design degree. I see focus on materials yes, but not on pushing the bounderies of matterials and processes. I think it is an attempt to bring ID concerns to engineers, which will intern allow them to understand and work in closer collaboration with designers. I think this would be a good program for one wanting to be a design engineer within a product development team. I have also seen ID programs that bring engineering processes and classes into the curiculum. They do not aime that the students can then function as design engineers, but rather that they will more effectivly interact with engineering. Have aslo seen the same for marketing classes.

Not to mention the faclty member with the closest training to a true Industrial Designer, has a sculpture background. The rest are engineers.

Based on this I assume that design is not you total passion. Design is a very competitive market, and unless you are whole-heartedly devoted to design; and no other carrier choice could ever fullfill you, then go into design. However if this is not the case then focus on an engineering curriculum that also focusses on design for manufacturing as well as overall aesthetics of the products. Just do not count on haveing great freedom to select electives, as many ME programs are entirely planned to move you through. Best advice is to pick a shool that has great Eng program, and descent ID prog, then work with the ID professors to do independent projects or to set up a program allowing ME and ID students to work together on joint projects.

About 4 years ago, I was in the same boat–wondering if I should go for design, or take the “safe” route through engineering. I could always do the math and science, but I LOVED art and design. I took every art class my high school had to offer, and then took them over again!

Needless to say, I’m about 6 months from graduating from Kettering University in Flint, MI with a BS in Mech Engineering. Let me also say that in my 4 years at Kettering, I pretty much disliked every class. Kettering does have a co-op program, and does require a thesis to graduate (which I am currently working on.) This co-op of mine has had me working with a major automotive company that tries to solve…get ready…Automotive Brake System Noise Issues! Wow, how exciting! I spend most of my time at work researching Industrial Design programs, wondering why I’m trying to fix squeaky brakes instead of developing my creative mind.

I guess my point is to choose the side that interests you the most. I never thought of myself as a lazy person. I have, however, gone through these past years doing work that is less of my potential, only because I have zero passion or interest in the course of study I have chosen (automotive engineering, not mechanical engineering). On the plus side, I am hoping this ME degree will give me an advantage when I move on to grad school, as I am set on getting my degree in Industrial Design.

In the end, it’s simply choosing the path that takes you down the road of passion. If you’re truly committed and passionate about a course of study, you have no choice but to succeed.

check carleton university in canada :astonished:

I vote for Georgia Tech. Good engineering school with relatively good id program. I believe they do let you work with the mechanical engineering dept. (I might be wrong but I’m almost positive).