Maximum Resignation Notice???

Hello everyone,
First off, this isn’t my first post - I’ve just created a new account to stay under the radar.

I need some help to know how much notice to give for resignation. I’ve done searches but can’t find examples of a similar situation, but I’m sure it’s not uncommon.

In approximately 8 months, I’ll be moving from where I live now, to be closer to where all my family lives.

I’ve been at my current employer for 5 years, and it’s a great place - about 50 people in size. Though I do feel it’s a good time to “move on”, I am only really leaving for family and personal reasons…no animosity or frustration at all, I have had some great opportunities here.

I am technically a senior designer, but i serve more of a creative director type of role, and my boss doesn’t hide the fact that he REALLY wants me to stay long term (even though when i started, i mentioned my desire to travel, get numerous experiences…not stay in one place forever - a fact that he has questioned me about few times over the years in a worried tone). There are also no other designers as experienced in a position to step up to fill my position. They would have to recruit somebody.

I feel I owe it to him to give as much notice as possible, but at the same time, i’ve heard all the reasons why NOT to give too much notice. At this point, I’m leaning towards two months, though part of me doesn’t think that is enough.

Anyone have an opinion on the maximum amount of notice someone should give when leaving a senior designer/director type of position?

Thanks in advance!!!

2 months is more than fair I think. If anything I think too long. 6 weeks I think would be the max I would suggest. Better for you and them if it is quick.

Any longer and I think it would be weird to work there while the company tries to move forward. Better to make it short and sweet and perhaps offer to help train someone they bring in if there is overlap or make some sort of arrangement that you can consult after you move on if there are any projects that require it.

It’s easy to think they can’t get along without you, but this happens all the time, and they will manage. If you’ve been there for only 5 years as a senior, it’s not that senior of a role, and one they can easily recruit for, that is pretty easy to find, unlike if you were more senior management.

Best just to make the best of the situation and try to leave things positive. Offer a shorter period and if they request it (they won’t) you can discuss longer.

R

Two months is probably plenty…based on this

“I am technically a senior designer, but i serve more of a creative director type of role”

If you serve that role but aren’t being paid for it, then it really isn’t in your job description and your boss should have thought of that. If you don’t have multiple people reporting to you and your tactical work can be split amongst other people than 1 month is probably more than enough.

Seriously ask yourself “If I leave, what will the other people here be incapable of doing if I don’t spend more than 10 days (2 weeks) briefing them on what they’ll need to do”

That sounds like excellent advice. Thanks!! Puts my mind at ease.

A lot of this really depends on your comfort level and the needs of the org. I’ve been in situations where I’ve given 2-3 weeks to transition work. In a situation now where one of our key guys is retiring and was kind enough to give us 4 months notice to succession plan and transition.

Personally, I think in your situation 1-2 months is ample. Always be prepared for your employer to say “make today your last day” or “what size check do I need to write to get you to stay?”, and the full range of in betweens. Either can happen, and it often defines expectation.

Best of luck with the move. These things are always difficult when you are in it, and usually fantastic once the band aid is off.

One thing to consider, once you have made your resignation formal, will you emotionally leave the place. If you will, then even 2 weeks is going to be painful. If you are paid every 2 weeks then 2 weeks notice is all you ‘professionally’ have to give, though 1 month is certainly more courteous. Anything more than 1 month is to your employers advantage not yours. A difficult transition due to their lack of planning is their problem not yours.

I do understand the need to be absolutely professional, especially in an industry as small as ours, but I would consider anything more than one month, in your position, to be above and beyond. Of course, you can always go above and beyond.

Also consider how much time off you have available and whether or not it pays out at the end.

If your PTO doesn’t pay out, you can start the transition and then burn whatever time off you have left. No easier way to start missing you than by not being there.

Too true.

Reading this I assume that things are done differently in the US, as in the UK the your notice period is stipulated in your contract. It tends to increase with thetime spent in the role, one month is typical but it can increase to 3 months (often after five years).

It is not typical to require any type of notice of leave, simply a common courtesy. In most conditions, you could pick up and walk out the door, give everyone the finger and never go back. But you generally want to leave your job and be able to put them as a reference if you are looking for work in the future. You don’t want a potential employer to call your old boss and say “That guy? Yeah he walked out and gave us all the finger” :laughing:

I did this once, but didn’t literally give the finger, I put a 5 page essay describing everyone’s dirty laundry in the mailboxes of the company owners managers, I bet that they had some fun conversations. The place was an OSHA nightmare, and I concluded my essay on that point, hopefully it saved someone from getting hurt/killed…

But that was at a non-career related job out of college and I never would have used them as a reference.

In your case, if it were me, I would give them a month and prepare for their response. I would also consider providing a list of people you could refer to take your place if you know any, and offer to assist them in training folks there or in the recruitment of your replacement.