masters in ID from bachelors in engg. Please help!!!

HELLO

I have a bachelor’s in mechanical engineering but I want a career in design because I want a career in creative and artistic field where I can use my creativity and imagination. Engineering study was fun but I don’t like the job in factories and all plus I didn’t graduate from a prestigious college.

Now I am interested in transportation design and industrial design but I have heard that jobs in transportation design are very less as compared to ID. So, I was thinking about a masters in industrial design.

Now comes the sketching part. I can show you some of my transportation design sketches as I haven’t scanned my industrial design sketches yet.
http://www.productdesignforums.com/topic/14046-from-engineering-to-design-please-help-me/

I posted same question with attached images on some other site too. The above link takes you there.

They would give you an idea of my sketching skills which are not too good to be honest but are okay I guess.

So, all I am worried is am I doing right thing to go for a master design course??? Yes, I have the creativity, skills required to become a designer but still I wonder If doing a master course would help me. I wonder what if don’t get a job after that which is my biggest concern.

What do you guys think??? any guidance is appreciated.

Also, please tell me some good schools for masters in industrial design which are not too expensive as I highly doubt considering myself for a scholarship because my ID portfolio isn’t that strong because of no past experience but I can learn and learn pretty fast.

A couple comments:

• Please don’t be lazy and either attach images or link directly. You are just linking to a thread on another forum now, + I can’t even view those images without logging in.
  • There are quite a few threads about engineers moving into design, have you tried to search?
  • Where in the world are you based? / Aim to be based? Uni prices often depend on where you are from. Also, in some places you might be considered over qualified but under experienced if you have a masters without work experience.

This is a pretty good attempt at humor. Its trying to be funny, right?

“Engineering study was fun but I don’t like the job in factories” that’s priceless.

“my sketching skills which are not too good to be honest but are okay I guess” :laughing:

“please tell me some good schools for masters in industrial design which are not too expensive” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I feel like there are one of these postings a week. Seriously, use the search.

I am sorry. I should have attached the files but the uploader didn’t allow to upload my complete file which is in pdf and I could upload maxium 3 files. So, I have attached them now.

Secondly, I am from india. I find that schools in US have very high fee.
I found one in Italy, Florence design academy. They have a two years program in industrial design. It’s not a masters program but a two year program which I think will be right for me. Am I right?? I don’t know yet if I am eligible for it. I have mailed them and awaiting response.

Please suggest me what should I do. Please suggest me some good schools suitable for me.

I searched the threads but could not find such useful posts that could help me. If you can please give me link.

your background is different than mine, but I came from a different discipline and jumped into an ID masters program. For my dollar, I think it would have been better for me to do an ID undergrad program instead of masters. We who are coming from different areas really need the hours of practice under our belts… just my opinion.