Master of Industrial Design, TUDelft or similar

hello dear core77 users,
I finished my BFA in Design, at Concordia U, Montréal. It’s a very artistic program, free thinking, sociological research etc.
So now I’m looking for a Masters degree to concentrate in Industrial Design. The problem is that most Masters in design are intended to be the space for free thinking after finishing a rigid technical Bachelor. So I actually need a Master Degree that would, in reverse, be dry science, engineering, processes, materials and so on (well, everything that seems to be negative as a descriptor of other schools). Can anyone suggest a school that falls under this category? The closest I got is TU Delft MSc Integrated Product Design http://www.tudelft.nl/live/pagina.jsp?id=d178c92d-859b-46d9-8f2f-4198ff4f0d5b&lang=en

thanks in advance

I believe Georgia Tech’s program has a pretty strong focus on research and has some influence of engineering from other departments if that’s what you want.

isometrik, nice avatar.

That is a tough little problem. As you said, it is typically the reverse, most masters are more open, and most undergrad programs more technical. Maybe check out Art Center’s masters, I’m sure it is very skill driven. Some masters programs have a 3 year option where one year is spent with the undergrads getting those skill based courses in, this might also be an option. You might be able to work with a school to taylor a program for your needs. There are really no rules.

If possible, I’d recommend working for at least one year in between, otherwise you will find yourself graduating with 6-7 years of school, and no experience, competing with a kid from UC, fresh out of undergrad with 4-5 co-ops.

From what I have heard, Sweden’s Umeå University offers a Masters in ID which is rather technical as everything else at that school.
You could check it out. A word of warning though, the school is very remotely located and requires you o put your life on hold for the duration of the course.
I agree with Yo. Running internships and jobs within Design besides school is very difficult so I too would recommend to get some experience first.
Masters might not be everyone and once you are in the workplace you might be very happy with it. I have several friends who during their undergrad talked about Grad school but then once the secured a design position, rather stayed in the workplace.

Maybe you should try to look for something else than a master in industrial design? Im not sure which are on the borderline between ID and pur engineering, but id like to think that there are a few Product design programs which are a bit more technical.

At my university there is a program called Technical design, which puts a bit more focus on the technical aspects, like the ones you describe. They are supposed to work in a design team managing position for design- and engineerteams, if I understood it correctly.

I might be way off, so please ignore if its irrelevant or blatantly obvious. Its very late over here and this is my distraction from a research report :smiley:

So do you mean your undergraduate degree was more of an Art degree, rather than a specific design degree in Industrial design?

If that’s the case, you would probably need an industrial design program before you’d be competitive in the workforce. I have a feeling many ID masters programs teach more theory, rather than tactical skills… you might want to choose a school that can get you practical experience

good luck!