Marginalized...

So the company I’ve been at for 15 months has been very slow in getting reviews to us. Two weeks ago we were told that this was due to a corporate decision that all divisions were to get their reviews at the same time. Okay, well over a year with no review, I’ll sit tight and be patient while corporate gets everything ready to go.

Then yesterday I find out that one of our divisions had their reviews over a month ago. WTF!!!???

There is much more to this, but the question I have is:

Is it a good idea for me to send a professionally written email expressing my concern and displeasure over this situation, or should I keep my mouth shut and see what develops.

Ideally, I’d love to just go off and unload on all the BS that has gone down since I started here, but I’m a big enough person to keep it cool and be a professional.

My advice to you.

Sit tight, stay calm, and don’t do anything that will get you canned. The economy sucks in a lot of sectors right now and there are bigger things to worry about then giving employees reviews, especially when they are most likely going to

A: Thank you and give you nothing extra

B: Thank you and announce a pay cut

or

C: Thank you and let you go.

I had something similar happen a year ago and the answer was B. I no longer work there as a result, I’m a freelancer now.

I hear what you are saying, but in my tenure as a professional designer, I’m learning that best way to get screwed over is to be quiet and take it.

Again, there is much, much more to this story. This review incident is really the straw that broke the camel’s back. And if our company (in any division) was anything less than profitable, I’d understand not giving raises, but at least give us a damn review.

What really chaps my ass though is that the other divisions (the MUCH bigger divisions, hence “more important”) had their reviews over a month ago. Yet management saw fit to lie to us about it.

I’m not trying to be greedy, I just expect a basic level of professionalism and respect out of management to it’s employees. This situation (combined with everything else) serves to demonstrate anything but.

The more I think about it, the pissed I get.

Sadly, I think you’re expecting too much.

I’d stop thinking about it and start updating your resume.
If that’s how you feel, life is too short to go to a job like that every day.
Don’t fire anything negative off.

I think it’s really a matter of people believing in the doctorine that we keep reading about. “Supporting integrated design in business, is always good for business.” The more designers believe in this, the more it will become a self fullfilling prophecy. Businesses will catch up or they will die.

As long as we keep taking our share of crap and being treated like a means to rubber stamp “innovative” on a product/service, that’s how we will be treated. Don’t misunderstand me, it’s not a matter of being petty and bitching about the situation. Chances are the louder you bitch, the more you’ll get written off. Quietly, and in a professional manner, just pack your markers, pencils and coffee mug.
Bigger picture. I’ve read your “report from the backwater” and I think that if you want to be happy, find a way to be happy.

Yeah it seems like so long ago when I wrote that “Report from the Backwater”. Since writing that, I came to teh realization that my destiny (and happiness) was very much in my own hands.

So I sucked it up, and started really digging into 3D modelling and now, not only do I know enough about it to have a decent portfolio, but I actually enjoy it. I just had to change my mindset.

The same is true here. I’m not going to do anything apart from type up the email that I’d liek to send, and then save it as a draft, never to be sent ro read by anyone. It helps to get it out I think.

My resume is now updated as well as my portfolio, and as of now, I am seriously on the lookout for a better opportunity. Though I do look forward to teh day when I turn in my resignation from this place.

Oh happy day indeed…

I started my career as a contract designer in a large company among several full time designers… I never recieved any reviews because of legal mumbo-jumbo with contract employees. Anyway, I was soo envious of the other designers getting reviews every year; learning about their performance and how they could improve, some bonuses tied to it, etc…

Anyway, I don’t know if you can see where this is heading, but later I found out that contractors made more in salary than the full timers, albeit no benefits, and the reviews were all the worst thing they had to do all year and dreaded it. They were all making up all this BS about how they filled their goals for the year, etc… while the big boss already knew how everyone would rank, and just went thought the motions.

to make a long story short, maybe your not missing that much… and if you really want to know how your doing, buying your supervisor a beer sometime and asking him directly might do the trick

talk to you HR group about it.
if there they can give you no reasonable explanation in your estimation, then decide from there.

that’s what HR is there for.

I would have a casual conversation with my boss. Something like “Hey, how’s it going? The other day I heard the other divisions had their reviews, I remember you said we where all going to have them at the same time, is there an update on that?” Let him know you are not going to bend over, but be a big enough person to not be a Jerk… its a tight rope act. Try to get clarity.

If you think he is lying to you again, or responds negatively… put that resume in order.

Yo: Your depth never ceases to amaze. Marker god and now, office politico!

:)ensen.

Well the questions have now been answered.

The reason no reviews were forthcoming, is because as of 11:15am (central time), The entire division has been dissolved.

I am now unemployed.

Anybody know of someone needing a POP designer?

Like I said, A,B or C. Sorry to hear that C was the answer, that does suck.

What part of the country are you in, I’ve actually been approached recently about POP work and turned it all down cause I don’t want to move - I might be able to hook you up.

Thanks Purple…:blush: blushing.

@Sky: I’m really sorry to hear that man. It sounds like it was handled very poorly. I hope that it is a doorway to better things.

mmjohns-

I live in Milwaukee, WI. There are a ton of POP companies up here, but so far, nobody is hiring. Freelance might be the way to go…for now.

I actually really like it here, but if needs be, I’ll relocate. I’ve done it before and I can do it again.

Try Skyline Exhibits. They are based out of Minneapolis and contacted me a little while ago looking for people, they might even have a local office or distributor.

Everything else I’ve seen recently was Pacific Northwest.

DANG!!! Really sorry to hear that! They even used the “noon on Friday” rule.

Since you’re not far away, I’d suggest trying Design Agency (Arlington Heights,) Star Exhibits (Elgin), and maybe even Osgood or ExhibitGroup. I’m sure you know all of these guys. Star in particular my be interested in someone with more POP experience. OH yeah, definately look up RTC in Rolling Meadows. They have positions come up from time to time on coroflot and generally focus on POP stuff. Heck, even Choi (downtown chicago) did POP work for the original XBox.

Dang that sucks. How much severance? How long can you go without begging for employment?

They were generous enough to give us 60 days pay, so I do have some time to find someplace to land. It’s just a bit of shock right now. I’ve NEVER been let go from any of the grillions of jobs I’ve had in my life.

Getting canned is a new experience for me.

But I’m sure something will come along. I do believe that everything happens for a reason. Perhaps my dream job is right around the corner.

Having been the director of a large design firm I can tell you that the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

As long as you are performing above expecations you should demand a timely review and hit them up for what you can.

Good Luck

hey, dude,

getting canned is a rite of passage. i used to wear my let-go-free track record like a badge of honor, until my first “let go.” and i can tell you that it can be the best thing that ever happens to you, particularly if Management is/was behaving as bizarrely, unprofessionally and dishonestly as you say. you’re in shock now, sure, but you’ve also (potentially) just entered one of the most crucial and valuable stages of your life. so now what are you going to do about it? your intuitions about professionalism seem right on. so put an ad for your services on craigslist, for god’s sake, and start freelancing before that 60 days “grace period” runs out and you reeeeeeeeeaaaaaalllllly start grovelling. BE PROACTIVE, FOLLOW YOUR GUT, AND TRUST YOUR TALENT. stop thinking about what the man did or didnt do for you. go out and do it for yourself.

it can be the best thing that ever happens to you,

I completly agree… I was let go when our division was hit hard after 9-11 and once the shock wore off, I realized it was a great opportunity. I did some personal projects I never had time for before, went to Cambodia for a month for some cultural stimulation < severence/unemployment goes a long way in places like that ) , did some freelance with some local consultancies… after a several months of all that, I was completely refreshed and had had some great experiences. I think it came across in interviews because afterwards I landed a better job than before…