Managing Millennials

Thought this was an interesting piece on 60 Minutes about managing millennials… I think they were saying some of the same things about GenX 10 years ago?

Yeah, but I still think we, as Gen-X-ers were the last to grow up where not everyone came out a winner and, if you failed or lost, you failed or lost so you better try harder next time.

I certainly saw plenty of “I showed up, so I deserve an A” over the last 2 years I was back in school.

That dude on the right… the 20-something know it all that was talking to Mike Wallace with the other kid was pretty frikkin’ annoying.

I saw that report, and was ashamed to see what my generation had become. I knew growing up that I wouldn’t be handed anything, but it appears most of my recent graduate counterparts did not grow up that way. I’m probably on the outer fringe of that era, but I still see it. From upper management to the trenches.

Nurb - I completely agree. I too am on the outskirts of this “generation” an have never really expected anything to be handed to me. I found it interesting in the video they mention sports and the idea of games with no winners. If sports taught me anything its you can’t accomplish anything with out hard work.

josheyre - yeah, the attitude of my some of my classmates concerned me as well at school. Could you ever imagine you mom calling one of your professors about a grade? Are you kidding me?

I must admit however that I can relate to some of the comments made about watching your parents give there lives to a career only to find that it did not bring them satisfaction, or that they were laid off. How ever with that said, I have never felt like I could just slack off at work, if anything I tend to be an overachiever and seem to let my personal life slide rather than my job.

I was eating at Wendy’s and watched a manger ask an employee to change the trash bins because they were full. Her response “Trash? Gross. I don’t do trash.”

I should have stuck around to see if she was fired on the spot, but the next time I went there she wasn’t working.

Even though this happened at a fast food restaurant, I’ve seen the same sort of exchanges in corporate environments. Replace “Trash” with any menial task that “isn’t fun” and you’re very likely to get the same remark, or a disgusted expression.

But, I’m not going to worry about these people. They’ll be easy enough to step over when they can’t handle the position they’ve climbed up to.

Ultimate is the…well…ultimate example of “the winner generation”. Everyone runs around and plays to “win”, but you also win “spirit points” by cheering, etc. I love playing ultimate, but it makes me gag at the end of each game.

Teaching is most definitely an eye opening experience. Even 3 or so years ago I ran into this attitude. “I paid my tuition and I showed up, how can you possibly fail me?”

I won’t deny that having balance in life is key. But the attitude seems to be more nowadays that working hard is the bad thing. The constant search for the next beach to lay on seems to be the priority now. I don’t necessarily think this is just the “next generation” though. I think this is starting to permeate our society as a whole. I have no interest in going back to the days when breaking land and having 10 kids to help tend the fields. But working hard isn’t a sin. I find it rewarding and I actually LIKE MY JOB gasp.

I tend to think that is more the problem. How may people really like their job these days?

great vid, made me laugh.

The age of the self started a long time back though

check out Adam Curtis’ century of the self over here

maybe its just going to far if we have to teach workers what to do at work.

And if you work at a small firm, you might have to literally take out the trash from time to time. I hate to pull out the “When I was a kid” thing, but when I was a kid, and my boss said mount these drawings, or redo that rendering, or scan this stack of sketches… he didn’t have to even think about asking twice. It was done immediately. I think current design leaders should expect the same level of work ethic. It has nothing to do with paying your dues, and everything to do with getting it done.

First off, if this forum is one of those "this younger generation is bad because blablabla and why can’t it be like the good old days… " type deals that go right ahead and skip over this post.

I’m 25, in three days, and I thought this 60 minutes report had a few good points but overall was laughable. I mean seriously, what can you expect from 60 minutes anyway though. Doesn’t this happen with every generation? I mean the germans figured that the american youth were too soft and weak to defeat them in wwII, and then in the sixties, my grandpa didn’t agree with the way my father’s gen was becoming, and then those people didn’t “get” the gen X kids.

This is the kind of gas lighting I would expect from any self respecting conservative. The whole I remember the good days when… It actually no secret that people that hate their jobs aren’t as productive, and definitely aren’t as innovative in creating solutions, and we didn’t start that. I worked in an engineering office that hasn’t changed since the 70’s and let me tell you, Those guys weren’t getting anymore work done showing up at 6:30 and staying until 5:30 than they would have in a normal eight hour day. I was telling a buddy of mine, it was funny they brought up the three martini lunch, so it’s not acceptable to listen to music while you do your work but it is acceptable to pound the equivalent of four or five shots of gin or vodka during lunch?

Yeah there are some slackers, but we didn’t invent that either. And before anyone goes around pointing fingers at Mr. Rogers and little league, try to remember who organized the sports we participated in, and that as always, public television is funded by viewers like you.

Being diplomatic to me seems some what beaurocratic. My boss is like that at the moment and being a student i’d rather get a hiding saying what is bad so i can improve upon it rather than being told everything is great. Being told that is actually counter productive as some will see it as an excuse to settle at a particular level rather than strive for the best.

I personally beleive if you bring up your child with a hard working ethic and that you will fail and get things wrong is fine as long as you adopt the right attitude in how to address that failure.

Dont know about you guys but i’d rather bust my balls now and secure a good job first and building around that rather than social life. (Helps when you enjoy what you do though :p)

You’re absolutely correct, Carton, that finger pointing gets us nowhere. There are most definitely differences between one generation and the next. I never realized how quickly those differences infiltrate the culture.

Your point of efficiency and enjoyment is well taken and reinforces what I was getting at above. A lot of the finger pointing and references to Zappos party atmosphere does smack more of envy disguised as criticism.

As long as my employees satisfy our clients and we get the work done, I really don’t care how they do it. But if you approach me with an “everyone wins, nobody loses” attitude, you’re more than welcome going to the other job they’re saying is available.

At 52 i can and often do point the finger, with just cause. My generation “yuppies” (of whom i and in the age group but was reared to think/act more like a person from the 1940’s) was among some of the worst offenders in "ME"isim. Slackers, well they are easy to manage, as are “uniwinners”, life teaches them damn fast that if you slack you can starve if you don’t play to win somebody is and will hand you your ass (see china, etc). Its ok kiddies we are all pretty much clueless untill about 40 or so, we think we know (i know i did) and in thinking we know we just show we are too stupid to breath in and out with out a cue. Just remember, bitch about the comming generation all you want…YOU RAISED THEM, they learend from you (even if they are just younger siblings) so be proud of your creation…i aint.

I just turned 30, but my sister is 7 years younger, she’s definitely part of this generation, it’s really weird to me. We had the same parents, but they treated and raised her so much differently than me and my older brother. I think it has a lot to do with societal pressures on my parents and maybe their increased financial situation after me and my bro moved on after school.

They certainly don’t like the words “no”, or “you can’t”, and are very self-centric, but at the same time they have some really genuine qualities and really (maybe obsessively so) value anything social.

I find some ironies with this generation though. You can’t have winners without losers, if everyone is a winner then how does this “you are a special unique snowflake” psychology fit in? Losing is usually perceived as a bad thing, but it can be very character building, it’s a valuable concept to learn from. Let me re-phrase, losing is perceived as a bad thing in the short term and doubly so in an instant-gratification culture not interested in the long term benefits of anything. Maybe they shouldn’t be taught not to lose, but how to lose.

I do find creepy the excitement and eagerness of the 20-somethings in this story to please their parents. Don’t get me wrong, it feels good to know your parents are proud of you, but it seems contradictory to their professed self-seeking agenda that they would surround themselves with constant safety nets and parental praise if they really are trying to figure out what they’re made of. I’m generalizing here, and I know I will catch flames, but maybe these guys’ pursuit of parental doting is a side-effect of having 2 working parents that stuck them in day-care all day and spent 1 hour of weary “quality time” with them at night. They’re making up for lost time!

I won’t dog too much on Gen Y, we all know every generation has it’s quirks, I find them to be incredibly fun people to know and i general I think this story goes to great lengths to find the weakest parts, in a lot of ways they have the right idea, it just needs a little more tact.

" find some ironies with this generation though. You can’t have winners without losers, if everyone is a winner then how does this “you are a special unique snowflake” psychology fit in? "…is answerd in the statement “really (maybe obsessively so) value anything social”…so if your some what of a “unique” in that your scocial sphere is smallish…your a loser…

it’s not the generation stereotypes that bother me, it is the overwhelming sense of entitlement that makes me so angry, i want to punch babies.

You know I don’t really remember being a winner in all the sports I played, in fact, I got beat quite a bit when I wrestled. I still had a good time, but I knew that I hadn’t won, something about ending a match on your back with the gymnasium lights staring you in the face really lets you know that you have lost. I was also amazing physical shape, something that I only now realize.

I had heard this report a few weeks ago, and usually I don’t find myself offended, but this one really seemed to burn me. Some friends of mine have also pointed out that it seemed to smack of envy, maybe they miss the three martini lunch, and are mad that I know all this technology. I spend so much time in front of a computer it’s sick. And they keep saying how great we are at multitasking and technology and all that. Did they every think I may be good at technology because I have taken the time to learn, on my own for much of i, at least 5 different 3d modellers, autoCAD and the adobe creative suites? I didnt just wake up one day and set down my ipod and begin rendering things on this damn machine. I’ve been learning that crap for over 9 years. They would know it too if they had spent as much time.

It occurs to me that maybe we know all this stuff because we think we can learn it. You have no idea how many of the engineers I worked with, older men that were leading their field, designing the worlds largest cranes and mooring systems that were convinced they couldn’t learn some new software. I was like seriously? you engineered one of the single largest machines on the planet and this computer freaks you out?

The report makes it seem like only taking yes for an answer is like this terrible thing, but I think when someone asks me if I could learn whatever tool they are using, be it software or other wise, saying yes makes more sense. If you say no then you’re done right? If you say yes the worst that can happen is you were wrong.

lol i know all the tech, still have a 3 toonie lunch when i want…life is grand.

only if over 18, then deck the sucker.

Ive said my piece, now I want to hear other designers talk about how hard it is to work with someone who argues with engineers and marketing, thinks they can do anything, even if other people say it won’t work, and act like they are part of a club that other people cannot join. lol

what club, and “any club that would have me would not be worth joining” LOL…socical network, horseshit.