Makerbot or Cintiq

Which one?

Makerbot if for home, Cintiq if for work.
I have a Thing-o-matic from early 2011, and it’s awesome, but not extremely useful for real prototypes as there’s a different set of design considerations. It’s really fun modding things at home though!

What if it is for working from home? :smiley:

Seriously, though…I’ll be working out of my home office for a while starting May. I’m looking at the new Makerbot Replicator 2X…it seems like a pretty damn good machine. http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2x.html

But the Cintiq 24HD always makes me drool. Both of them provide ample business upside.

If you are working for yourself, Go Markerbot for quick protos

if you are working for a CLIENT go Cintiq…chances are when youre working on a project and need a prototype the client will pay

Good point…I have a good prototyper based in Taiwan that does great work…the Makerbot just tickles my inner geek…but my inner stomach wants to be fed…so the Cintiq is probably the smart purchase :S

:slight_smile:

SunPe in China does great work too.

In my opinion the consumer 3d printers in the makerbot price range are still at the hobbyist stage- I was using two different machines today, brand u.p failed twice but was relatively easy to remedy; brand m.b only worked once in 3 hours and ended up not extruding at all.

If you like the challenge of getting it to work (and that means lots of failed prints) get a printer, otherwise the previous arguments supporting the cintiq.

Really? How are they building such a following if their product fails as much as you’re saying? Even “consumers” don’t like stuff not working. Especially to the tune of $2K.

Jaime, which model were you using? I definitely wouldn’t characterize them all together. When I got mine, it was twice as fast and had much cleaner builds than the cupcake (first model), but I still had to assemble the entire thing (took a whole weekend) and it runs on an overdriven resistor, which I need to swap out soon because they have a reputation for catching fire…

At that stage they were definitely for the DIY crowd, but since the replicator, they seem to be more consumer friendly, and operate right out of the box, although there’s still no warranty.

I think they assume that their target market will have the skills to fix it if something goes wrong, and their support helps fill in the gap. A lot of MB owners I know see the repairs and tune-ups as a part of the hobby, and get their kids involved to teach them about technology. You shouldn’t have to deal with this with the Replicator, but it’s a possibility.

We got a Replicator 2 in our office about 4 weeks ago for size prototypes, broke down after 2 weeks and maker bot need to send us replacement extruder part. Overall very underwhelmed with the product, I do wonder if all are that unreliable.

Just got a Markerbot last week. we were prepping for a multi-day interdisciplinary workshop, so haven’t tested it yet, but will let you know if ours is as glitchy.

It’s a Replicator (the model with the laser cut plywood frame). Your comment is exactly right, the target market is for those who want to tinker with it. It is running PLA (the other printer I was using was running ABS). I think the main trouble I had yesterday was the extrusion temperature was too high as it was balling as a liquid on the nozzle. To fix it I’d have to look through the gcode and change some code setting, but after trying to fix something, stopping a print, getting rid of the failed plastic mess, starting the print again and waiting (the replicator software is very slow to start printing compared to the other I was using) I was just getting annoyed.

It not that it doesn’t do what it says on the box, but at this price range it isn’t quite plug-and-play. I want it to work like my paper printer

The Replicator 2 and 2X aren’t opened source like the Replicator, so maybe they are more consumer friendly. At the mini maker faire held here last weekend lots of people were raving about the 2X, especially as you can use ABS as a support material and dissolve it away in acetone, and the PLA print resolution is like paint so it is super detailed.

I didn’t know it doesn’t come with a warranty though, it may be a country specific thing- here I doubt consumer laws would allow it.

We got the 2.

We have a few Makerbots within the studios at school, along with a handful of other printers (Stratasys, Z-Corp, etc.) in various labs/shops around campus. Makerbots are fun, and occasionally very useful—but when it comes to getting a prototype in hand, the Stratasys FDM printers are 10x better. The setup and troubleshooting time on a makerbot print is rarely worth it, even from a student perspective.

As stated, the makerbots are great hobbyist toys… but extremely limited as far as rapid prototyping within a design process goes.

Was surprised to find these reviews of a tablet monitor that the guy likes more than Cintiq (for much less $$) and software a guy likes better than Sketchbook Pro/ Photoshop. Personally I’m still holding out for a Win 8 tablet with a decent size screen, Wacom & Nvidia GPU but I will get the software soon to try it.

For what it’s worth;

I just read about Cubify…

I add this to the conversation…it is cheaper than the makerbot, and seems to come with support and warranty.

Thoughts?

http://cubify.com/

Have you seen this http://blog.makezine.com/volume/make-ultimate-guide-to-3d-printing/?
The cube gets an OK review but the cartridges seem expensive.